Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 5th May 2018

Liked 283 Times in 180 Posts
In praise of WEX

I have to say I am very impressed with WEX Photographic!

Over the past seven days their service and communication has been 'second to none'. My recent P/Ex and purchase was my first dealing with them although I have known of them for many years.

Being a small independent retailer myself I tend to deal with similar photographic enterprises and have purchased off of many down the years, nearly always with excellent results, so for me to break ranks and deal with a bigger enterprise is something new. OK, so how did it come about?

Well I love my Pen-F, I really do, but I also love to shoot film and that's with either a Leica M3 or Nikon SLR. I'm not a big fan of Nikon's AFS lenses especially the "G" versions and as much as I love the results from their 58mm F1.4 afs G I cannot help but feel its build is somewhat inferior in relation to its cost and I have had afs motors fail on me before which in turn have cost a 'pretty penny' to replace so I decided to trade it in.

I contacted several well know and reputed dealers, all of whom I have dealt with before. the 58mm retails new for around 1400.00 , mine is mint, the offers ranged from as low as 400.00 to as high as 600.00 all on a P/Ex basis. As much as I wanted to P/Ex it I wasn't prepared to let it go for a song. Then I spotted on the WEX site a couple of lenses that I was happy to replace it with, the 20-35 f2.8D & 105 f2D D.C. Both lenses are 'old school' screwdriver driven motors and with proper aperture rings so I can also use them on the PEN-F and most importantly two of the three lenses I ideally wanted to match up with my F6.

So I contacted WEX, described my lens and was quite 'pleasantly' surprised when their offered ( subject to inspection ) a sum of 750.00 . 'Blooming Eck!" I thought, that's a damn fair price. So I agreed to send it to them, I explained that I was interested in the 20-35 & 105. 'No problem" , we'll reserve them for you for 14 days. "What about a deposit?" I asked ...... 'No need' was the reply! "OK that's very good of you, I'll get my lens in the post today" I said. "Hold on, let us send you a Parcelforce 24hr shipping barcode, that way you won't have to pay the postage and we'll email it to you right now." Two minutes later the shipping barcode was in my inbox!

I duly posted the lens, the next I day had an email saying the lens had arrived safely and I would be contacted within three working days with regard to their offer. 'One' day later I had a phone call from WEX .... "Mr. B , we have inspected your lens and consider it to be in 'mint' condition not Exc++ as you described therefore we are pleased to INCREASE our offer by 30 to 780.00" .... Bloody hell, am I hearing correctly, they have increased their offer without me even haggling, now that's service. I accept, pay the small difference for the new lenses there and then and in less than 24 hours they arrive. Upon inspection both are like new and I could not be more delighted.

For a large(ish) company I have to say their service is more akin to the sort of excellent 'personal' service I would expect from a small family concern. Normally IMO most larger companies are usually best described as 'box shifters', however in this instance WEX have (pleasantly) proved me wrong. I thoroughly recommend them.

Simon
drmarkf (6th May 2018), IainMacD (6th May 2018), OM USer (6th May 2018), pault (6th May 2018), Phill D (6th May 2018), Ricoh (6th May 2018), RobEW (6th May 2018), Ross the fiddler (6th May 2018)
Old 5th May 2018

Liked 197 Times in 113 Posts
Re: In praise of WEX

Delighted for you Simon, i bought my 75mm f/1.8 from Wex, it was a good transaction. Last week, ordered some film from Wex however, made a mistake in the sizing. The returns form arrived by email two minutes after a quick call, the communication has been exemplary. Not only did I get a credit for the wrong goods but also the postage. Great way to grow customer loyalty.

David
Simon Bee (6th May 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (6th May 2018)
Old 6th May 2018

Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,078 Posts
Liked 1,408 Times in 739 Posts

That's a great post Simon praise indeed from you and good to know that large organisations can get it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (6th May 2018)
Simon Bee (6th May 2018)
Old 6th May 2018

Liked 1,435 Times in 870 Posts

Having a foot in digital for convenience and speed, and the other in film, I'm similar to you photographically speaking. As hard as I try to resist looking at the used items on various trader websites, I find it difficult to resist. Ffordes is on my regular visits and recently having recommisioned my Pentax MX I noticed Ffordes had an E++ grade PK 135 f3.5 for sale for 59. Well I jumped at it and the next day it arrived looking like it had never been used, not a mark on it, no internal dust, absolutely pristine. I must say I've done well by this company, this and the M6 you may remember (on which I've doubled my money going by second hand prices 12 months on).

on flickr
Simon Bee (6th May 2018)
Old 6th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Great way to grow customer loyalty.

David
Couldn't agree more David.

Simon
Old 6th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
That's a great post Simon praise indeed from you and good to know that large organisations can get it right.

Thank's Phil,

Yes I have to say I was/am mightily impressed with their service.

Simon
Old 6th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Having a foot in digital for convenience and speed, and the other in film, I'm similar to you photographically speaking. As hard as I try to resist looking at the used items on various trader websites, I find it difficult to resist. Ffordes is on my regular visits and recently having recommisioned my Pentax MX I noticed Ffordes had an E++ grade PK 135 f3.5 for sale for 59. Well I jumped at it and the next day it arrived looking like it had never been used, not a mark on it, no internal dust, absolutely pristine. I must say I've done well by this company, this and the M6 you may remember (on which I've doubled my money going by second hand prices 12 months on).
Like you Steve I regularly look at various sites, especially Ffordes. I have had many a fine camera or lens from them. Actually they currently have a very nice Nikon F3 and F2 Photomic that are 'calling to me' ..... I really should stop looking

Back to 'WEX' .... superb service and a P/Ex offer that was well above any other I received.

Simon
Old 6th May 2018

Liked 969 Times in 545 Posts

Yes, your experience of Wex mirrors that of mine over a number of years: I also have been given more on one occasion after inspection.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Simon Bee (6th May 2018)
Old 6th May 2018

Liked 1,633 Times in 844 Posts

Wex did send my EM1 i off to Olympus for a check on the video capability. Took a fortnight or so, but they came through OK after that.

I had a balance with them for several months, whilst i was working out what I wanted to buy from them........... In the end I traded binoculars and the EC14, both of which I am very pleased with.

WEX is not the cheapest, but do seem to have a good reputation and customer friendly attitude..............

My Flickr
Old 7th May 2018

Liked 2,090 Times in 768 Posts

I just bought a second hand flash from them a Oly STF-8 for 300 arrived quickly too
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Simon Bee (8th May 2018)
Old 9th May 2018

Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts

I traded in my old Pentax DSLR against my E-M10.
Again they held an open box item for me and inspected my kit. They gave me a very generous trade in on the body but declined the lens which was a pity but not a problem.
The camera technician took almost an hour to evaluate my trade in kit - I'd made an appointment as they're local to me in Norfolk - that gave me a lot of confidence in the quality of their used equipment.
They aren't always the cheapest but the showroom staff in Norwich are helpful and friendly. The only downside is it can take a while to get served!
Old 13th May 2018

Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts

I've also been impressed by Wex. I bought a Hasselblad HC 80mm from them. When I received it the lens was in much better condition than I was expecting from the description on their web site. And their terms and conditions state that they give you 30 days to return an item no questions asked. And they give a 12 month warranty as well.

They're first on my list when looking for used gear now.

(I recently fell down a very expensive rabbit hole and bought a Hasselblad H1, hence the purchase of an HC lens.)

E-M5, 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 40mm/2, 50/1.4, 85/2, Tamron 70-210/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Simon Bee (15th May 2018)
Old 15th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
(I recently fell down a very expensive rabbit hole and bought a Hasselblad H1, hence the purchase of an HC lens.)

Hey Roger that H1 is a superb camera, such a pleasure to use. Do you still have your 500 series? If so you can use those leaf shutter lenses on the H series too, all you need is the 'CF' adapter, although like most things Hasselblad it's not cheap and rarely available secondhand.

I have just acquired another film camera ..... a beautiful silver Nikon FM3a

Simon
Old 15th May 2018

Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Hey Roger that H1 is a superb camera, such a pleasure to use. Do you still have your 500 series? If so you can use those leaf shutter lenses on the H series too, all you need is the 'CF' adapter, although like most things Hasselblad it's not cheap and rarely available secondhand.

I have just acquired another film camera ..... a beautiful silver Nikon FM3a
Hi Simon, yes it is a fantastic camera. I sort of bought it by accident in that I saw one on Ebay with a P25 back with one low bid with an hour to go. Made a bid that I thought was bound to be beaten - and it wasn't. So it was a ahhh what have I done moment!

Anyway, I've tried it out over the last month - acquired a couple of film backs as well - and I really like it.

So now I have to decide whether to keep the H1 and sell all my other V System gear or keep the V System and sell the H1. I can't really do both unfortunately. So the CF adapter wouldn't really work out for me because I can't keep the V System lenses and the H1.

In fact, if I keep the H1 and get some more lenses for it I pretty much have to sell most of my current camera gear, including most of my OM stuff, all of my OM-D stuff, my Contax G1 gear and all my V System gear. And I think I've decided that that is what I'm going to do. Some of it (excluding the V System stuff) is already on Ebay.

But at least it will mean lugging one camera bag around instead of four.

Congrats on the FM3a. I've never actually owned any Nikon gear - nor Canon for that matter.

E-M5, 12-50mm, 14-150mm, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 40mm/2, 50/1.4, 85/2, Tamron 70-210/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr