Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 26th March 2018

Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Decided to go long - but what to choose?

Another thought - if you find the Samyang acceptable, with its f/6.3 aperture, don't forget the Oly 75 - 300. Small, light, and more versatile than the Samyang.
Old 26th March 2018

Liked 1,335 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I felt it was a great pity that Olympus abandoned their 'small and light' policy with the 300f4 lens.

I left Nikon partly because my 300f4 was feeling heavy and then Nikon promptly introduced their new PF lens at 'only' 755 grams, whereas the Oly weighs 1270 g and is much larger as well.

The Panasonic 100-400 weighs 985 g has more 'reach' and focuses closer, all of which I considered to be substantial advantages over Oly. If only Olympus could pull out the stops and come up with a lightweight alternative especially as Nikon have shown it can be done.
As I have noted in this thread...http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47525

Downfalls of the Pany 100-400mm lens is its lack of compatibility regarding Pro Capture.

Not a problem if you don't use that bell, but having used my Em1 ii and the Pany 100-400mm for a year or so, I am now expanding or trying to expand my use of it. I have gone back to the Oly 40-150mm and the 1.4TC for close birding photos, as it is actually more versatile in that mode.

But the Pany is the better birding lens IMHO. But the Oly 300mm is still kinda on the list of wants, as you see on this forum there are some great bird photos coming from it.............

Hey ho..................

My Flickr
Old 26th March 2018

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
Another thought - if you find the Samyang acceptable, with its f/6.3 aperture, don't forget the Oly 75 - 300. Small, light, and more versatile than the Samyang.
More than acceptable given the price, but I feel it would be nice to have a bit more reach, which the 75-300 won't provide so don't feel it would add anything apart from AF capability. I have to say that if it wasn't so brilliant indoors, I'd probably sell the 40-150, and get a 12-100 Pro for my M5 & a Panasonic GX8 fitted with the 100-400, with my 7-14 for the occasional landscape/creative stuff.
Old 26th March 2018

Liked 1,778 Times in 991 Posts

[QUOTE=paulw;443605]Been out and about with the 300mm Samyang mirror lens and have to say that it really feels as though I need more reach and the issue of DoF when the subjects are quite close is also an issue as seen below with the picture of the Bahama Pintail where the head is nicely in focus but nothing else. Almost wondering if it would be better to crop from the 40-150 with the MC-14 fitted and not bother going any longer, then again as above the 300 feels too short for 'birding'!

Is a TC an option? Longer reach and more DOF.

Harold
Old 26th March 2018

[quote=Harold Gough;443646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Been out and about with the 300mm Samyang mirror lens and have to say that it really feels as though I need more reach and the issue of DoF when the subjects are quite close is also an issue as seen below with the picture of the Bahama Pintail where the head is nicely in focus but nothing else. Almost wondering if it would be better to crop from the 40-150 with the MC-14 fitted and not bother going any longer, then again as above the 300 feels too short for 'birding'!

Is a TC an option? Longer reach and more DOF.

Harold
Can you get a non-Oly MFT tele-converter? I know Tamron used to sell such a thing but it was only for specific lenses.
Old 26th March 2018

[quote=paulw;443652]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post

Can you get a non-Oly MFT tele-converter? I know Tamron used to sell such a thing but it was only for specific lenses.
All I know is that Olympus does not make one. I use various TCs but via lens to m4/3 adapters.

Harold
Old 27th March 2018

So for all you Panasonic 100-400 user, what is the focal length you most commonly use?

I'm still wavering as to whether to look toward the Olympus 300 or the Panasonic 100-400, I also came across a rumor that Olympus has got a 2x tele-converter under development - well they filed a patent, but that could be years away. I guess I'm slightly erring toward the 100-400 in a Panasonic body as stated in a previous post - played with a GX8 recently and it really felt right in my hand and at eye level, which TBH the M5 never has.
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 925 Times in 367 Posts

Just to add to your confusion...

I have the 300f4 and the 1.4 TC and have only found it "too long" on rare occasion. (I also have the 40-150 so can go 40-150, 56-210, 300 and 420, so the missing 210-420 zoom has not been an issue at all for me), leaving the TC on the body and swapping the lens also removes the possibility of getting the sensor dirty if the weather or conditions are poor!

I made a conscious decision to go for the Olympus lens over the Panasonic lens having used both on each others body, if you see what I mean, and found that both manufacturers favoured their own lens for capabilities - so my tuppence worth is either stick to one manufacturer or the other and accept that the m4/3 interoperability claims are slightly more limited than the manufacturers would have you believe! For example the PRO-Capture with C-AF isn't available with the Panasonic lens but is with the Olympus.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 27th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Just to add to your confusion...

I have the 300f4 and the 1.4 TC and have only found it "too long" on rare occasion. (I also have the 40-150 so can go 40-150, 56-210, 300 and 420, so the missing 210-420 zoom has not been an issue at all for me), leaving the TC on the body and swapping the lens also removes the possibility of getting the sensor dirty if the weather or conditions are poor!

I made a conscious decision to go for the Olympus lens over the Panasonic lens having used both on each others body, if you see what I mean, and found that both manufacturers favoured their own lens for capabilities - so my tuppence worth is either stick to one manufacturer or the other and accept that the m4/3 interoperability claims are slightly more limited than the manufacturers would have you believe! For example the PRO-Capture with C-AF isn't available with the Panasonic lens but is with the Olympus.
Thanks for the insight, TBH I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship my Olympus M5 camera, but the lenses are sooo nice. Have already decided to try out a Panasonic body - the GX8, didn't like the '7 or the '9 when I handled them, plus I've always found the range-finder format far more comfortable that the SLR type central EVF! Did think about the Pen-F butdo want weather sealing and felt totally inadequate (balance wise) with a longish lens, beautiful design though
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
So for all you Panasonic 100-400 user, what is the focal length you most commonly use?
An interesting question that sent me looking through my catalogue of 2017 pics.

Although I do use the full 400mm pretty often for bird and butterfly photos, there are lots of shots towards the shorter end - around 150 - 200mm. I know also that I often start to find the subject (especially mobile critters such as butterflies) by using the shorter end and then zooming in when it settles.

I was quite surprised to see how quite lot of my bird photos were taken at around the 200mm mark since I tend to adjust the zoom continually to place the subject in its surroundings.

So, no simple answer but, probably, around half the bird photos are at 400 mm and even more of the butterflies/dragonflies, where a closer approach can be difficult
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
paulw (29th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Quote:
I don't use it very often but this was my first outing with it at 400mm.

Harold

shenstone (27th March 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
chris (27th March 2018), MikeOxon (3 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (27th March 2018), pault (29th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018
Administrator

Liked 292 Times in 163 Posts

This is an Interesting thread

Having moved from 4/3 to u4/3 I have been considering for a while what lenses to get to complete the move and the long end is one I have debated within for a while

I tried the Pany 100-400 in a local camera shop and it does seem a nice lens, but I would love something from Olympus that has all of the pro-capture etc as I think that I would use that more often with wildlife than anything else

When we had that survey from Olympus some time ago I made every effort I could to tell them I was looking for a PRO long lens. I would sacrifice some of the length for the brightness that could come with it, but hopefully not a lot and not to heavy

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 27th March 2018

Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 1,294 Times in 682 Posts

Harold there seems to be some fuzziness around some of the edges on the first shot in particular. Is this an effect of the forum sizing or is it on the original image too? Otherwise nice shots.
Old 29th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Harold there seems to be some fuzziness around some of the edges on the first shot in particular. Is this an effect of the forum sizing or is it on the original image too? Otherwise nice shots.
I'm just seeing the usual limited DoF issues you'd expect with this type of shot.

As for my current thoughts the Panasonic camera now arrived and feel more at home with this, so think I'll be aiming to go for the 100-400 and keep the M5 for use with my 7-14 and perhaps get a 12-100. this will allow me to sell on my Olympus 12-50, the 40-150 Pro and the Panasonic 12-60 that came bundled with the camera. But eventually suspect I'll be selling the M5 and up with either another Panasonic, or perhaps a Pen-F as a second camera.

Still all comes down to the fact that I guess I don't actually like modern cameras that much, they are all far too complex and do loads of 'stuff' I'm never going to use, but one things for sure, you got to love the Olympus Glass and hopefully the PanLeica 100-400 will be nearly as good
MJ224 (29th March 2018)
Old 29th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Phill,

Thanks.

I don't think forum sizing is involved as this is hosted elsewhere.

I don't see what you see but it is likely to be a DOF issue.

Harold
MJ224 (29th March 2018)