Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 9th May 2018

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Help - random exposures from E-M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
just called Luton cameras. It's a common problem with that lens, and the part which is usually needed costs about 62, and labour about 85 as it needs a complete strip down, and then VAT makes it I suppose about 180 all told. But used ones often sell for around 250 or even less on Ebay. Seems a waste of good glass. Maybe if it's a common fault it's best to have a repaired one rather than a broken one and one likely to go the same way.
That was my train of thought too. No guarantee that a second used one wouldn't go the same way a week after getting it. Luton repair come with a 6 month guarantee.

The 12-100 was just too pricey.....

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (9th May 2018)
Old 9th May 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,308 Posts
Liked 3,930 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Thanks for that clarification. I guess this is done to enable live view. Most of my knowledge of photography is half remembered from the days of film-based SLRs with old fashioned aperture rings which you moved by hand, so you always knew exactly where you stood. I am also familiar with the (antiquated to some) notion of rotating a different ring on the lens barrel to focus, and rotating a dial on top of the camera to specify the ASA of the film. While my back was turned, ASA became re-badged as ISO, and lenses transmogrified from optical devices to electronic devices with glazing!
I'm in the same boat, Rob, when I first started film speed was measured in DIN and I had to use a chart to convert this to the Weston speeds calibrated on my Weston Master hand held meter. When I got my first SLR with open aperture, rather than stop down TTL metering it seemed very hi tech!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (9th May 2018)
Old 10th May 2018

Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts

It's not worth much but I had a Fuji that eventually died due to stuck blades, it was fairly simple to see the problem.
Choose a high F number, look down the lens then press the shutter - you could see the blades sometimes closing properly and other times not.
As it was a fixed lens camera it was beyond economic repair which was a real pity.

The lens may be worth something in its current condition to someone who can obtain the parts and do the work themselves. Have you checked completed listings on eBay?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.