Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 11th April 2018

Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts
Manfrotto X-PRO 3 way geared head

Does anyone else use one of these?

I got one used from eBay, and it's generally fine though well used ... BUT ... it has one potentially disastrous weakness. The hand lever which tightens a cam onto the shoe is pivoted on a bolt, which goes through the body and then tightens onto a free moving nut. After a period of use, the nut starts loosening, then the pivot gets loose, and then the grip on the shoe wears loose and it can become detached if there's a heavy lens at an odd angle. Fortunately I've not had a disaster due to this, but I've had to disassemble this bit and reassemble twice in 6 months when it's become too loose for safety.

Anyone else experienced this? Is there perhaps some kind of locking washer missing? Can't find anything helpful on Manfrotto's website. I might try to source a replacement bolt and nut
Old 11th April 2018

Liked 336 Times in 118 Posts
Re: Manfrotto X-PRO 3 way geared head

Does this help: https://cdn.manfrotto.com/media/cata...G_20150203.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Bengeo For This Useful Post:
RobEW (11th April 2018)
Old 11th April 2018

Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts
Re: Manfrotto X-PRO 3 way geared head

Brilliant finding! Yes, it looks like the parts involved are in spares pack R104709 https://www.manfrottospares.com/r104...-locking-knob/

and from that, it's clear that there's no locking nut or washer missing. I'm very tempted to add a bit of superglue to the protruding end of the bolt.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (11th April 2018)