Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 10th October 2018

Liked 642 Times in 439 Posts
Re: Using the P mode?

I've never really thought about using P mode. Aperture priority does the job for sports - generally I want minimum depth of field and fast shutter speed so lens wide open and A mode does the job. And for stage work, the lighting will fool any auto exposure measurement so I set it all manually and accept the occasional cock-up.

But this article is quite thought-provoking. And having had a look and seen how easy it is to use program shift, this looks like a good option for general-purpose work. Now all I have to do is remember to try it!

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (11th October 2018), Zuiko (10th October 2018)
Old 10th October 2018

Liked 2,452 Times in 772 Posts

Like Bikie John I hadn't even thought about using P Mode. I was led to believe that 'real photographers' don't use it, so I restricted myself to A and S modes. It hasn't worked, though as I am still not a 'real photographer'. I also have to admit that I have never used video mode or art filters. I suppose they are on my camera somewhere. Perhaps I should be a bit more adventurous and see what other technological delights are buried deep inside my highly advanced and expensive piece of equipment.

Ron
AMc (11th October 2018), Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (10th October 2018)
Old 11th October 2018

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,148 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 849 Posts

I'm in camp 1 too Paul with the vast majority in A mode. However, I do intend to try P mode out, that's when I remember to do it that is. I was out all day yesterday and forgot
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (11th October 2018)
Old 11th October 2018

Liked 2,162 Times in 1,079 Posts

Always used to use P mode with my little EPL-5. Works well in "general" conditions whatever they are. But mainly use Aperture Priority now, and quite often the manual for BIF etc. With Wildlife photos, I do need the aperture to be as wide open as possible to allow for faster shutter speeds....

But on the very odd occasions I have used AUTO, it certainly sorts out the flash when needed...

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts

All 4 of those modes (A, S, P & M) give the same control, but in different ways they make some adjustments easier than others.

You can imagine it as an experiment with 4 variables (aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure level). Let's call them vA, vS, vI and vE. Depending on the mode chosen, some of these variables are manipulated purposefully and easily, others can be manipulated less directly, and others are merely observed derivatives.

In A mode, vA and vE are directly controlled by dials, vI is either an observed outcome (in ISO auto mode) or is controlled indirectly (e.g. by lever and dial) and vS is an observed outcome.

In S mode, vS and vE are directly controlled by dials, vI is either an observed outcome (in ISO auto mode) or is controlled indirectly (e.g. by level and dial) and vA is an observed outcome.

In M mode, vA and vS are directly controlled by dials, vI either varies or is controlled indirectly (e.g. by lever and dial) and vE is an observed outcome.

In P mode, vE is directly controlled by a dial, the other dial allows you to control vA or vS and observe the other, and vI is either an observed outcome (in ISO auto mode) or is controlled indirectly (e.g. by lever and dial).

There is no I mode (where ISO would be on the front dial)... perhaps a hangover from the days when a roll of film had a fixed ASA so you couldn't vary it very dynamically.

All these four modes give you full control (if you don't have ISO auto); the only real difference is in which variable is easier to control.

The idea sometimes floated around that you aren't a grown-up / competent /
fully-fledged photographer unless you use M seems a bit fatuous to me.
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), Petrochemist (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Codger

Liked 100 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Parr's excellent - President of Magnum and a great supporter of young photographers. I heard him speak at that Sony awards: he'd received the Lifetime Award or some such.

Very entertaining and droll presentation with lots of images, then he invited questions at the end. Some nerdy type put his hand up: "Can you talk about the equipment you use and the camera settings?".

"Sure" said MP "I stick it on 'P' and just blast away. It's about telling stories, you know".

Right on, baby.

(MP is appearing everywhere these days: he's the acceptable face of street photography for people who don't like street photography, and I suspect we might now have reached Peak Parr)
He has established The Martin Parr Foundation just down the road from me in Bristol: https://www.martinparrfoundation.org/

It aims to support and encourage British and Irish contemporary photographers. He funded it from the sale of part of his collection of books and images made over many years. Most of the rest is in the library there. A membership scheme has been started (as of yesterday) and I've joined to support what he is doing. One of the good guys.

I will be down there tomorrow to look at the current exhibition, In Your Face https://www.martinparrfoundation.org.../in-your-face/ Not sure it will be my taste but we'll see...

By the way, he has done many of the BBC1 "idents" - https://www.martinparr.com/bbc-one-idents/

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,148 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 849 Posts

It would be good if you could post your impressions of the exhibition Steve.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Codger

Liked 100 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
It would be good if you could post your impressions of the exhibition Steve.
This link https://www.martinparrfoundation.org.../in-your-face/ will give you a good idea. All shot by Paul Trevor with a standard lens very close to the subject, on black and white film (probably Tri-X). Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but always interesting. One half was taken in Brick Lane in East London, the other in the City only a mile or so away but a different world as depicted in the early 1990's.

Had an interesting chat about the prints with the chap in the gallery. They are all A0(?) inkjet prints made with pigment inks, printed in their "darkroom". The quality is superb. All Parr's prints are made that way. The projected lifespan is 120 years.

It was an expensive trip as I looked at the new Don McCullin book, The Landscape. Superb images as you would expect and they had a few signed copies, which apparently are very rare. He gave a talk there recently that I couldn't get to. Early Christmas present to myself!

Looking forward to a rummage in the library there in due course.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
The Following User Liked This Post:
Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 399 Times in 186 Posts

Thanks. Will give it a try on today’s wonder. I don’t think P mode was helped by Ken Rockwell (he insisted on calling it PROFFESIONAL MODE) who probably put people off trying.