Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 3rd March 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone using Metz M400 ?

Hi Everyone

Is anyone out there using a Metz M400 ? I recently purchased one along with 2 Metz 52 with the view to using it as a more compact flash for my E-M5 II as well as being the command flash when using wireless in my small home studio.

All of the publicity material states that it is capable of being the command unit but there is nothing in the manual explaining how to set it up. I am begining to think that despite their catalogue saying its possible that it actually will not do what I want !
Old 21st May 2017

Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Re: Anyone using Metz M400 ?

Hi,

I know this is a bit old, but I had some similar issues with my Metz 52 trying to get it to trigger my studio flashes. The problem is with the preflash in TTL mode triggers the optical sensor in the studio flashes causing them to fire too early.

The way around it is in the E-M5 settings. In the main menu, go to Menu 2 and switch RC control to On. The flash display on my Metz now says 'Remote Master.'

Now, on the super control panel and, if it hasn't appeared already, press the info button to bring up the flash display. On the left hand side, you will see three flash symbols with A, B and C. Below these is the camera flash symbol. Switch this to OFF.

This will mean your flash will fire at full power without the pre-flash.

Some studio flashes have a setting to ignore the pre flash.

I hope that helps,

Ivor
The Following User Liked This Post:
mack100 (11th November 2017)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

was this problem ever resolved? I'm looking for a master RC flashgun to use with my E-M1 II that's more powerful than the FLM3 I'm using at present, but hear the Olympus FL600R has an annoyingly bright LED that flashes continuously when it's used as a remote flash. The Metz M400 seems ideal, and its manual suggests it will act as a master flash in the RC system, so I like to know if it won't do what I want it to before buying one!

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I've bought a Metz M400 now and can confirm that it automatically switches to Master mode when you set RC to 'On' in the E-M1 II's menu. (That is in addition to the option of setting it manually on the flashgun.)

So far it seems to work well as both a Master or Slave flashgun, and also on its own when RC is set to 'Off' in the camera menu.

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!