Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 8th June 2017

Liked 2,298 Times in 1,262 Posts
First Shots with Leica Lumix 100-400mm at 400mm

I am posting this here, rather than in the insect thread, because there has been some interest in the lens I used. It may also be of interest that the processing was "Prime" in DxO

After many months of lusting and envy, two days ago I took delivery of a Leica DG VARIO-ELMAR 100-400mm, F4.0-6.3 aspherical, Power O.I.S. lens. The lens is supposed to be “professional”.

The weather here has been atrocious, with strong, gusting winds and heavy rain. The wind was still a problem but I found these damsels in a sheltered part of the garden. Even so, the wind often gusted and the damsel was sometimes thrown off the leaf.

I really struggled with framing and AF. I used around the maximum magnification/closest working distance (1.3m/4.27ft). This is not a lens for flies, etc, the smaller damsels being at about the lower useful size limit.

I was just taking a walk in the garden when I saw the male Banded Demoiselle Calopteryx splendens flying around and landing on the leaves of shrubs, grass, etc. I really needed the 400mm, even getting that close putting it to flight, as did the slightest body movement. Fortunately, it like the small local area and kept perching in various places.

I think the small, blue one was the Azure Damselfly Coenagrion puella.

I used the lens IS, with the camera one turned off. I used f10, mostly at 1/320 or 1/400 sec, in a mixture of sunlight and bright overcast.

Some images are shown as shot, a few cropped.

Harold

Beagletorque (9th June 2017), IainMacD (8th June 2017), JohnGG (8th June 2017), Olybirder (8th June 2017), OM USer (8th June 2017), pault (8th June 2017), rsh1960 (8th June 2017), Thomas Westhead (9th June 2017), Zuiko (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,321 Posts
Liked 3,991 Times in 1,882 Posts
Re: First Shots with Leica Lumix 100-400mm at 400mm

Those are pretty good, Harold, you must be pleased.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Those are pretty good, Harold, you must be pleased.
Thanks, John.

Some room for improvement, not least because I have mostly used flash for macro in recent years.

There was a stage when I took some test shots in early evening light and they didn't look very sharp so that I thought I had a duff lens. I will be keeping it now!

Harold
Zuiko (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017

Thanked 1,217 Times in 1,134 Posts
Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts

Harold it's great to see something like this with that lens. It's certainly something I'd want to do if I got it too. I think you did pretty well considering, although I suspect you are still in too minds with them compared to the stunning quality of some of your previous macro shots. It looks like there is a very very shallow DoF at your settings, just a tad over 2mm I think which is going to make these sort of shots pretty difficult. So considering all that I think you did really well. As you said it's not a lens for flies but it's good to see how it would perform. Thanks for posting these and like you I suspect I'll crack and get that lens someday soon.
Old 8th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Harold it's great to see something like this with that lens. It's certainly something I'd want to do if I got it too. I think you did pretty well considering, although I suspect you are still in too minds with them compared to the stunning quality of some of your previous macro shots. It looks like there is a very very shallow DoF at your settings, just a tad over 2mm I think which is going to make these sort of shots pretty difficult. So considering all that I think you did really well. As you said it's not a lens for flies but it's good to see how it would perform. Thanks for posting these and like you I suspect I'll crack and get that lens someday soon.
Thanks, Phill,

I used ISO 400 and will readily move up to ISO 800. We get Red Kites overhead most days. There were two this morning but we had 100% thick cloud cover. I am going to have to master framing, then zooming in.

The resolution of the lens seems close to that of my Tamron 2.5 SP Anniversary Edition 180mm Apo. So that with a x2TC might make an interesting comparison, although there is no zoom function for framing.

Harold