Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 8th January 2016

Thanked 1,050 Times in 799 Posts
Liked 4,745 Times in 1,546 Posts
Re: Olympus reveals optically stabilised m.Zuiko 300mm f/4 telephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Dear All,

At the risk of being rude , I think you are all missing the point! This lens is much more exciting than you think. Take a look at these samples from slrgear. Look at the olive oil bottle or the circular slide rule.

GX1 + Oly 40-150 f/2.8 Pro - http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zsamp...150f28_gx1.jpg

Canon EOS 7D + EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM - http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zsamp...l400f80_7d.jpg

E-M1 _ Oly 300mm f/4 Pro - http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zsamp...300f40_em1.jpg

That last lens sells for around 6k.

Don't compare this new lens to some other ordinary 300mm f/4 such as

NIKON D7000 + Nikon 300mm f/4E PF ED VR AF-S Nikkor - http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zsamp...0f80_d7000.jpg

This lens on the E-M1 seems very special to me!

No offence meant.
Well, no offence taken, but.....

I accept that the Oly IQ is very good, but really there isn't a huge difference between any of these images. All would deliver a more than acceptable result when pointed at the right subject!

The Canon 300 f4 with one of the new electronically coupled AF-enabled adapters from EOS to m43 would give the Olympus 300 a good run for its money at half the price.

Now don't get me wrong I'm sure the Olympus is a great lens and if I were a hard core birder or sports guy then I could tempted - but it would be for its IBIS rather than its out and out sharpness. OTOH, if I were an out-and-out birder, then I'd take some convincing that the m43 AF would compete with that of a top-of-the-range DSLR like a 7Dii, 5diii, D3 etc.

Anyhow - as someone deeply committed to the Olympus system I sincerely wish them success with this lens - but it's not a lens that interests me (nor any other 300mm lens on any system!).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 8th January 2016

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

So many optical experts, so much misinformation/misunderstanding.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 8th January 2016

Thanked 1,050 Times in 799 Posts
Liked 4,745 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
So many optical experts, so much misinformation/misunderstanding.
Well, enlighten us then!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (9th January 2016)
Old 8th January 2016

Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts

Please.
Kind regards mike
Old 9th January 2016

Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well, no offence taken, but.....

I accept that the Oly IQ is very good, but really there isn't a huge difference between any of these images. All would deliver a more than acceptable result when pointed at the right subject!

The Canon 300 f4 with one of the new electronically coupled AF-enabled adapters from EOS to m43 would give the Olympus 300 a good run for its money at half the price.

Well, I'm not so sure about the Canon 300mm on m43. When you take a full frame lens and put it on a smaller sensor, you lose part of the resolution of the lens. If the lens resolves say 3,200 lp/ph on a full frame sensor, it will only resolve 2,000 lp/ph on an APS-C sensor (all other things being equal) because it is a crop from the middle of the image circle. Of course, lenses usually out-resolve sensors and APS-C sensors usually have a higher pixel density, so an APS-C camera may do better than that simple calculation suggests. But, the lens will always be better on a full frame sensor than a cropped one.

You can easily see this at DXO here. Check out the Canon 300mm f/4 on a 5d Mk III and a 7D MkII (about the same mpix). The full frame has about twice the resolution.

So, my thinking is that this loss of resolution will only get worse when you adapt such a lens to m43. Now, many have used adapted lenses with success but my thought is that this just goes to show how poor the existing m43 300mm options are. Both the Oly and Pany 300mm zooms are cr@p! The 50-200 + EC-14 is better but still not brilliant. So the adapted Canon can has a low bar to clear.

What I find encouraging about the about the SLRGear images I linked to above, is that it is a real comparison of what each system may be capable of. Not a brilliant example, I grant you (still life, no test of C-AF etc.) but at least the E-M1 + 300mm Pro is up there competing with those other examples. I think the Oly system looks better, but even if "there isn't a huge difference between any of these images", this is the first time m43 has got into that territory at long focal lengths. If it is only as good as a Canon EOS 7D + EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM I will be well happy . The Oly system will be excellent, smaller, lighter and cheaper.

As a mainly wildlife photographer, that's what I have always wanted and I was beginning to think that it might not be possible on m43.

Additionally, I am encouraged by samples of the new 300mm with the mc-14 added. It appears that the lens out-resolves the sensor sufficiently that the teleconverter does not greatly degrade the image. That also bodes well for higher-resolution Oly sensors and Hi-res mode. Wildlife people always want to crop more!

But, where do I get the money from?
Old 9th January 2016

Thanked 1,190 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 1,603 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

But, where do I get the money from?
That would be a common catch cry from many, I'm afraid.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th January 2016

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

The thread's to entertaining to start correcting the BS.

Given the lens close focus ability I wonder what the FL/AoV is at minimum focus.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 9th January 2016

Thanked 1,190 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 1,603 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The thread's to entertaining to start correcting the BS.

Given the lens close focus ability I wonder what the FL/AoV is at minimum focus.
Come on David. Please entertain us some more & nicely try & correct the BS (breifly, at least). Otherwise I'll feel like a mushroom (kept in the dark & only fed BS).

To put it more bluntly, a criticism needs to be followed by a critique with a helpful answer (& you might find fault with my use of the English language there too, but hopefully you can ignore that).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 19th January 2016

Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts

Hi Guys,

Great news that Olympus has brought the 300mm F4 mft lens to market Olympus shows great commitment to the folk who need this type of lens.

Price wise you get what you pay for and and it is new tech and in general the top end Olympus lenses are just stunning. For me the new tech will never be cheap in the early stages of it hitting the market though in time I guess it will be lighter on the wallet.

The big thing for me here is the 300 with an extender the 1.4x or hopefully a 2x is the great reach you will get in such a compact setup.

I use a Canon 7D and 500mm F4 with a 1.4 extender on occasion and out in the field on foot for a full day you know about it by the evening, it weighs a lot that is about 17lb I think for the whole setup.

Also the skill to steady that Canon setup on a weighty carbon fiber tripod takes along time to master I have not got there yet, still learning.

I think that the compactness of this setup for birding and wildlife shooters is going to be a perfect match.

I would say to Olympus start hammering the advertising in the birding and nature magazines hard as birders like to travel light, they like to spend the cash on expensive bins and scopes etc and they like nice photographs of the birds they see and with that Olympus may get many new customers buying Olympus gear, there are a lot of birders put off by the size of big nature lenses this could be the answer for that new potential consumer group.

To sum it all up even I would prefer to carry this setup EM1 300mm F4 and a TC all day long than dragging my Canon kit about over every obstacle you come across in the field and think of the traveling birder overseas all your birding photo kit as hand luggage I could not do that too easy with my Canon kit, well done Olympus.

Thomas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Westhead For This Useful Post:
ayewing (19th January 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
GRAHAMJ (21st January 2016), Kiwi Paul (19th January 2016), Olybirder (19th January 2016)
Old 20th January 2016

Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts

Hi All,

I also meant to say that using the big Canon setup in the field just wandering and seeing what birds pop up as they do very briefly at times, the 300mm F4 setup will be much easier handing, quicker to setup to start to shoot overall much easier handling, and give a good hit rate of lens on bird.

Rightly or wrongly and it may just be me but I have had some nice images with my Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 of birds that have just appeared out of the bush by the same token I have missed many nice images by the time I have got the Canon + tripod set and lens pointing in the direction of bird.

I think, yes it is expensive initially but for the keen Olympus OM D user who likes to photograph birds we now have an Olympus lens to now do that. The cost will be forgotten when the nice bird images flow from this compact very usable super telephoto setup and personally I think that is worth paying for.

Thomas.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
GRAHAMJ (21st January 2016), The Technician (21st January 2016)