Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Re: Macbook Air

Don’t think so.... (not starting a fight here!). The only MacBook Air they still seem to sell has a non Retina display and bunch of ports including the wonderful MagSafe power connector. I didn’t think they sold that any more but it appears they do. The latest MacBook Air has two USB-C sockets and a headphone port. The original MacBook came with proper ports but the super slim retina one has just the one USB and headphone. As each new model has come out in the past two or three years they have gradually removed all the useful connectors, damn them!
I bought a new Air a year or two ago and maxed out the SSD to a paltry 500GB but there’s still nothing else I want to buy that isn’t nearly 4 grand! Hoping a new MacBook Pro will appear this year sometime.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior

Liked 150 Times in 56 Posts

Not continuing a fight but.... I'm sitting in front of my wife's MacBook Air, and the only port that it has (apart from the magsafe) is a USB port. if she wanted it to have an SD port we could buy an SD to USB port converter. My MacBook Pro, which is fairly old has all the various ports including SD.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Old 4 Weeks Ago

<assumes boxing stance>
OK, that is an older one, the model previous to the retina one is comparatively port heavy whereas the latest one, the retina screen that everyone was long waiting for has gone the way of the MacBook and to an extent the MacBook Pro and removed all the useful ports including a separate power connector (the MagSafe). Not sure when the SD slot was added as the rest of the Air spec didn’t interest me at the time..the SD slot on the 2017 model is on the r/h side of the case along with the TB and USB-A port.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,420 Times in 697 Posts

Physical ports are old hat. WiFi is the way forward or Bluetooth for close communication

It's supposed to progress.

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 526 Times in 368 Posts

THere are many devices that allow multiple devices to be attached to a USB C socket
Seehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZ0HF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I have one of this type of device and I use it to connect to ethernet, multiple USB memory sticks, video projectors and mains electricity (via the power block)

To read a card from the camera into the machine I use a Sandisk Extreme ProUHS-II USB 3.0 reader. It ttransfer the files many times faster than the card reader on the adapter.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
THere are many devices that allow multiple devices to be attached to a USB C socket
Seehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZ0HF...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I think just having one or two sockets is a bit risky. Expensive repair when one fails and charging is a pain without a hub. For me dropping the MagSafe was a mistake, especially if it was done to save costs when a laptop costs premium money to start with. Im wishing Id bought the 2015 MBP while it was still available.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 912 Times in 352 Posts

Mine has 2 usb, 1 apple port, (thunderbolt?) 1 SD slot. + headphone hole.