Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 24th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts
0.71x Converter

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/...er_ULTRA_0.71x

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Melaka (25th July 2015), Tradetalk (25th July 2015)
Old 25th July 2015

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Re: 0.71x Converter

Hi Graham I have looked. At the metabones before and have been tempted, I still have my canon lenses there is a gap in the m4/3 line up of lenses in my case macro length. The oly 60mm =120mm as 35mm size is good and as you are probably aware it's Achilles heel is MFD for critters. I did consider using my canon 100 f2.8 is usm with the Metabones. On my crop canon camera this is 1.6 = 160 as 35mm size. However as I read it, this would on the plus side give me an extra stop of light, and full AF. However the downer is the lens becomes 71mm or 142mm at 35mm equivalent, working as a teleconverter in reverse, as I understand it which is too close to my only 60mm. I also considered using a 1.4 converter to up the length again? The but is with all this glass in front of the sensor is how good would it be, and would it be a waste of money so I haven't proceeded. Of course there is other channels that could be adopted using old oly glass and or the sigma 150 etc etc. I am also reluctant to spend on used/old glass I just wish I had a more cavalier attitude. I therefore tend to use my canon combo for fauna and my oly for flora. It's all compromise compromise compromise. Anyone considering the metabones should be aware that there is also more than one model for M4/3!
Kind regards mike
Old 25th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts

I have bought lenses for projects then sold them, sometimes up to a year later, and considered any losses as equivalent to a "hire" fee.

Old high value lenses seem to keep their value and I've even made a small profit on one or two things.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 6th August 2015

Liked 1,228 Times in 698 Posts

Yes, I agree with that: it's swings and roundabouts, but they certainly don't lose much.

I've decided that this year's gear project (as opposed to the software project, which is learning how to use all of the Nik suite properly) is to use my OM Zuiko collection fully. So, I've just ordered a Metabones OM to m4/3 Speedbooster and will do some playing around over the coming weeks.

I've got high hopes of the 24mm f2.8 for manual-focussed street photography (it becomes a 34mm f2.0), and the 50 f1.4, 200 f4 and 300 f4.5 should be fun.

BTW my 24mm f2.8 is a bit world-weary: anyone interested in selling me a Exc++ or better one?

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.