Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 1st October 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Olympus confirms new camera body for Four Thirds lenses

I don't think the small size of the E-M5 impacts on it's performance at all and with the battery grip attached I find mine feels well balanced with my Leica 14-150mm, which is about the size of a 12-60mm. I even think it is fairly well balanced with the 7-14mm, although with both lenses the space between the vertical grip and the lens barrel is very tight. I am afraid this is only one aspect and the ergonomics of the buttons is a big problem for me, I haven't got particularly large hands, being only a small chap, but whereas with the E-System cameras I have owned I could use the buttons by feel - instantly without looking, with the E-M5 I often don't get the right button. So perhaps we might call it more suitable for a lady. A pro addition to the OMD line that is a little larger would be a good move IMO.

David
Old 1st October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I don't think the small size of the E-M5 impacts on it's performance at all and with the battery grip attached I find mine feels well balanced with my Leica 14-150mm, which is about the size of a 12-60mm.
PL 14-150 compared to Oly 14-54 just for a vague reference...
Actually, as I recall, the PL was OK to handle on the E-PL1.

The 70-300 definitely wasn't a go-er on the PEN!....

--------------------------
Old 1st October 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I thought this thread was about Olympus announcing a camera that would work well with the SHQ lenses.

And we know that the OM-D/EM-5 is slow focusing if you try to use one of larger versions of these - we're talking 300mm/90-250mm. That's the context of the comments about not wanting a body that's too small. You want a body that can drive the lens motor, has a fast focus and shutter speed, and balances it - anything from E-1 to E-5 in size.

Even the 35-100mm (which I've used at a wedding) benefits from having a large body (inc. grip) on the business end.

For some ergonomics mean small, but for others the opposite is true. And its the latter end which has gone missing in action of late, together with some Olympus users.

http://marklcaton-images.co.uk/zenphoto