Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #196  
Old 13th March 2018
crapbirder crapbirder is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update

May be due to another reason entirely but after installing the latest update, the brightness of the EVF screen does not change in line with exposure compensation changes. Current EVF-related settings are:- Auto Switch OFF; Auto Luminence OFF and when EVF Adjust is selected, the viewfinder screen is blank.

I wonder if there is something obvious I have missed and would be most grateful for advice.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 13th March 2018
wornish's Avatar
wornish wornish is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 2,866
Thanks: 206
Thanked 261 Times in 203 Posts
Likes: 1,255
Liked 792 Times in 377 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
May be due to another reason entirely but after installing the latest update, the brightness of the EVF screen does not change in line with exposure compensation changes. Current EVF-related settings are:- Auto Switch OFF; Auto Luminence OFF and when EVF Adjust is selected, the viewfinder screen is blank.

I wonder if there is something obvious I have missed and would be most grateful for advice.
Have you tried turning EVF Auto Luminance on

Cog - I - EVF Adjust - Auto Luminance ON
__________________
Dave

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 13th March 2018
crapbirder crapbirder is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Have you tried turning EVF Auto Luminance on

Cog - I - EVF Adjust - Auto Luminance ON
Yes, tried Auto Luminance ON but no change. Many thanks for your suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 13th March 2018
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,523
Thanks: 169
Thanked 582 Times in 514 Posts
Likes: 351
Liked 579 Times in 398 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
May be due to another reason entirely but after installing the latest update, the brightness of the EVF screen does not change in line with exposure compensation changes. Current EVF-related settings are:- Auto Switch OFF; Auto Luminence OFF and when EVF Adjust is selected, the viewfinder screen is blank.

I wonder if there is something obvious I have missed and would be most grateful for advice.
Picking up on your comment about not reflecting exposure compensation, check the "Live View Boost" setting (first item under Cogs -> D2). It has sub-options for various kinds of shooting - if it is set to On, it will automagically adjust the brightness in the viewfinder to "help" with composition, focus etc. Of course this is exactly what you don't want when trying exposure compensation!

I got caught out with this some time ago - there was a firmware update that changed it and I didn't notice, so it's worth checking. If it's On, just reset to Off and see if that fixes it.

John
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 13th March 2018
Olybirder Olybirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 5,658
Thanks: 2,224
Thanked 889 Times in 711 Posts
Likes: 1,464
Liked 2,187 Times in 700 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Sorry if I have misunderstood and am stating the blindingly obvious but you say that you have Auto Switch OFF and the viewfinder screen is blank. You will have to switch the viewfinder on manually using the button to the left of the viewfinder with the Auto Switch in the Off position. Have you tried this?

Ron
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 13th March 2018
crapbirder crapbirder is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Picking up on your comment about not reflecting exposure compensation, check the "Live View Boost" setting (first item under Cogs -> D2). It has sub-options for various kinds of shooting - if it is set to On, it will automagically adjust the brightness in the viewfinder to "help" with composition, focus etc. Of course this is exactly what you don't want when trying exposure compensation!

I got caught out with this some time ago - there was a firmware update that changed it and I didn't notice, so it's worth checking. If it's On, just reset to Off and see if that fixes it.

John
Many thanks for your suggestion, Live View Boost already OFF as I seldom use LV. Sadly, the problem remains.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 13th March 2018
crapbirder crapbirder is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Sorry if I have misunderstood and am stating the blindingly obvious but you say that you have Auto Switch OFF and the viewfinder screen is blank. You will have to switch the viewfinder on manually using the button to the left of the viewfinder with the Auto Switch in the Off position. Have you tried this?

Ron
Not at all stating the blindingly obvious and I tried switching the EVF/LV option but no change. Grateful for any advice/suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 13th March 2018
crapbirder crapbirder is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update

Many thanks to all for your suggestions. It maybe that carrying out the re-set/setting actions has solved the problem but for whatever the reason, problem no longer exists.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 13th March 2018
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,523
Thanks: 169
Thanked 582 Times in 514 Posts
Likes: 351
Liked 579 Times in 398 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh - don't you just hate that! Good that the problem has gone away of course, but frustrating that you don't know what caused it in the first place.

Glad you're sorted, anyway.

John
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 13th March 2018
crapbirder crapbirder is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh - don't you just hate that! Good that the problem has gone away of course, but frustrating that you don't know what caused it in the first place.

Glad you're sorted, anyway.

John
Exactly my feelings entirely and again my thanks to all.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 28th March 2018
blu-by-u blu-by-u is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Posts: 1,165
Thanks: 121
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Likes: 127
Liked 292 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Just noticed a minor update V2.1 released on the 8 March 2018. States,

"Corrected issue of C-AF not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic."


If I don't use this 200mm 2.8, can I skip this update?
__________________
* Henry
* Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
* Malaysia


All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 28th March 2018
DanC.Licks DanC.Licks is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Just outside Vienna, Austria
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

I skipped it. Don't own that lens either. I am sure its features will be in the next update that might apply to us.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanC.Licks For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (28th March 2018)
  #208  
Old 28th March 2018
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 10,411
Thanks: 352
Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,096 Posts
Likes: 600
Liked 1,104 Times in 527 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

There may be some other less obvious improvements that haven't been documented, but I do understand any reticence when doing updates as there is a very small risk of something going wrong. A good strategy is to wait a few weeks to see how others get on with the update rather than jumping straight in.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (29th March 2018)
  #209  
Old 28th March 2018
DanC.Licks DanC.Licks is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Just outside Vienna, Austria
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Good point.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 28th March 2018
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 12,253
Thanks: 1,860
Thanked 1,159 Times in 918 Posts
Likes: 4,476
Liked 1,451 Times in 868 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There may be some other less obvious improvements that haven't been documented, but I do understand any reticence when doing updates as there is a very small risk of something going wrong. A good strategy is to wait a few weeks to see how others get on with the update rather than jumping straight in.

Ian
There is a thought circulating that due to cultural reasons, there is a chance that there may be fixes that aren't documented due to 'saving face', so while this may seem to be useless to all of us not using this lens there might just be another small fix. However, I've chosen to not update this time around, for now.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pen-F firmware update Shaw Olympus Pen-F 0 10th December 2016 11:27 AM
One for a firmware update please Ian? DJMC Olympus OM-D E-M5 1 29th October 2012 11:48 AM
Don't update to E-M5 1.2 firmware for now. Ian Olympus OM-D E-M5 79 3rd October 2012 06:04 AM
HELP! E-1 firmware update with Win 7 StephenL Olympus E-1 30 28th June 2011 10:10 AM
Update of firmware... petrovich Software 3 21st December 2008 01:59 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger