Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th December 2017

Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Firmware Update

Might be of interest, firmware update for EM1 mark2 to version 1.4.
"Improved stability of operations when shooting while using the EVF"
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pault For This Useful Post:
bassman (19th December 2017), cliff (23rd December 2017), Clockwork Donkey (19th December 2017), Miketoll (19th December 2017), OM USer (19th December 2017), Ross the fiddler (19th December 2017), wornish (19th December 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (19th December 2017)
Old 19th December 2017

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Firmware Update

Thanks for the heads up. I've just updated with no issues.
Old 19th December 2017

Liked 4,232 Times in 1,395 Posts

So, no new features then? I wonder where all the half-promised, heavily hinted wonder AF improvements are?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th December 2017

Thanked 1,158 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
So, no new features then? I wonder where all the half-promised, heavily hinted wonder AF improvements are?
I think I read a response that it will come early in the new year. I don't know about "heavily hinted wonder AF improvements" though.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 19th December 2017

Liked 1,343 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
...by fine tuning the control loop, but there comes a limit without hardware tweaks as well, reducing inertia, feedback sensors and motor improvements with some of the latest rare-earth magnets to improve acceleration/deceleration and torque... more steps to the stepper motor etc.

on flickr
Old 19th December 2017

Liked 1,323 Times in 625 Posts

Has anyone tried it yet, shooting CAF + tracking with low speed sequential? (single central point or 5 point cross)

If so I'd be interested to hear what you think
Old 19th December 2017

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
...by fine tuning the control loop, but there comes a limit without hardware tweaks as well, reducing inertia, feedback sensors and motor improvements with some of the latest rare-earth magnets to improve acceleration/deceleration and torque... more steps to the stepper motor etc.
Well, that wasn't what I had in mind. Most of the m43 lenses have uber-fast voice-coil AF drives moving very low-mass internal elements. They are better than most Nikon lenses and yet the D500 beats them. It's the body that's the limitation, not the lens. There's no excuse for the AF being anything less than the equal of DSLRs.

What's more, there's been heavy hinting from various Olympus sources that AF improvements via firmware are in the pipeline. IMHO I think that's entirely possible since it's all about computation to figure out where the focus point is, how it's moving and where it will be in the next 20mS. I suspect the hardware is up to it (on-chip PDAF, dedicated 4-core CPU for AF etc) - it's all about the algorithms and how they control the drive of the AF motor.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th December 2017

Compared to full frame lenses, the relatively smaller U4/3 element array should be quicker as you say, less inertia for instance. Begs the question why the manufacturer did not release the EM1/2 with optimum control loop. I would be easy to understand if they were selling the upgrade (did I read correctly that Panasonic were charging for upgrade to their 'flagship' model competing with the EM1/2?).

on flickr
Old 19th December 2017

There was an interesting thread over on mu43 where one of the members was shooting motor racing with the E-M1ii and the D500. He noted that at high shutter speeds the E-M1ii was much closer to the D500 then when dragging the shutter whilst panning to give blurred backgrounds. In that case the Olympus missed a very large proportion of the shots.

My suspicion is that the Nikon is continuously adjusting focus when the shutter is open and the Olympus is not. Actually that's the opposite of what might be expected since the Nikon's AF sensors are hidden once the shutter is open, but the Olympus's on-sensor capability should, in theory, be able to carry on. I suspect the reason is simply because Nikon have so much more experience of action-based AF engineering.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th December 2017

Liked 940 Times in 527 Posts

It was more or less said by Clare Harvey-May at the Duxford Experience day I went to in March that there would be an option to make the single focus point smaller 'in a firmware update in the autumn' (although they were careful to to commit entirely to that).

Quote:
I suspect the reason is simply because Nikon have so much more experience of action-based AF engineering.
Indeed. One hopes there's room in the control hardware to optimise things further: we shouldn't forget, of course, that CAF is already a lot better than it was in the M1i, and it is usable for BIF etc.

Thinking a bit wider from that, there are a lot of Canikon shooters hanging on for killer full-frame cameras from both brands. I fear they're going to be disappointed.

If I was in that position I would instead look at just how long it has taken Sony to produce a decent mirrorless full frame pro camera from scratch (3 generations, with the first two having all sorts of in-use issues), and remember that Oly and Panny have also only now got well-sorted products.

It's not just a matter of taking out the mirror and wiring the sensor differently; big steps need lots of work and a series of incremental gains to optimise their usability/reliability/performance.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 19th December 2017

It is interesting to witness how dependent photographers have become on autofocus camera/lens systems. OK, there's no doubt AF is faster than the human control system, but does AF help produce improved photographs. I doubt it.

on flickr
Old 19th December 2017

Liked 1,456 Times in 755 Posts

I know in my old Pentax film days, AF was a godsend with those Fresnel screens, and my eyesight appreciated the autofocus a lot. Does not make a better photo, but increases your chances of getting a presentable photo.....

With the Bells and Whistles attached to AF now, you do need to know your onions on how to use it best...............

My Flickr
Old 19th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
It is interesting to witness how dependent photographers have become on autofocus camera/lens systems. OK, there's no doubt AF is faster than the human control system, but does AF help produce improved photographs. I doubt it.
Depends what you're photographing Steve. If you're trying to capture birds in flight or footballers on a Saturday afternoon, I can absolutely guarantee that good AF will deliver many more keepers than MF.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
It was more or less said by Clare Harvey-May at the Duxford Experience day I went to in March that there would be an option to make the single focus point smaller 'in a firmware update in the autumn' (although they were careful to to commit entirely to that).

Indeed. One hopes there's room in the control hardware to optimise things further: we shouldn't forget, of course, that CAF is already a lot better than it was in the M1i, and it is usable for BIF etc.

Thinking a bit wider from that, there are a lot of Canikon shooters hanging on for killer full-frame cameras from both brands. I fear they're going to be disappointed.

If I was in that position I would instead look at just how long it has taken Sony to produce a decent mirrorless full frame pro camera from scratch (3 generations, with the first two having all sorts of in-use issues), and remember that Oly and Panny have also only now got well-sorted products.

It's not just a matter of taking out the mirror and wiring the sensor differently; big steps need lots of work and a series of incremental gains to optimise their usability/reliability/performance.
They're all good points Mark. For sure it's easy for us armchair experts to trivialise away all the really hard bits!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
drmarkf (19th December 2017)
Old 19th December 2017

I'm not too certain, I think the photographer should be in control of everything. No harm in learning about light and exposure - being able to estimate the correct EV for artistic judgement, and sellecting focus for similar reasons. From my personal experience the use of AF AE does absolutely nothing for the learning process and you can become over reliant. Some photographers also allow the silicon chip(s) within the camera to develop their photographs, churning out JPEGS equivalent to sending a roll of film to a mail order Photolab and expecting exhibition standard prints by return.
Is BonusPrint still trading, I wonder. I used them quite a bit, send your film and get a free fresh film back with the prints and negs. Brilliant!

on flickr