Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Whites

Normal Guilty Parties of E-3, Sigma 150mm, ec1.4.

First may be either a lesser white or a Green-veined white, the next two are Green-veined whites

All identifications are tentative and may be corrected by the competent.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Whites

Nick

I think No1 may be a second generation M Large White! but we will wait and see what other people think!

Barrie.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.
Old 23rd April 2009
tlove

Lovely photos as always Nick

This is a combination I have been using for the last week or so - that 150mm is a corker of a lens, that certainly hits the spot photographically speaking (well, it does for me !).

Do I take it you use flash as well when you use this combination? If so, what do you use?
Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well the competent have come along in the form of Barrie and Peter (Artframes) who have told me that the first one is definetly a Large White.

Does this leave my other identifications in similar doubt, I wonder?

Thea - currently I'm doing a lot of shooting with iso and flash set to auto, which leaves me just to worry about aperture (and white butterflies who will pose on white flowers), The flash is a metz 58, a bit of a big beast for this application.

Thanks

Nick

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 877 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post

Does this leave my other identifications in similar doubt, I wonder?
Nick

I'm sorry I thought you knew the green veined white was a GVW. It is and you are right. Nothing else looks remotely like it.

For the avoidance of doubt you have made up the name lesser white. And this is the first generation of large whites with the second generation coming in July.

You now need a small white to complete all of the Pieridae family (the whites) but you need to find a marbled white and a wood white (much harder) to complete all of the british butterflies with white in their name.

If you pop over to France you could add the bath white and black-veined white to your collection.

Are you still awake?

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Nick

I'm sorry I thought you knew the green veined white was a GVW. It is and you are right. Nothing else looks remotely like it.

For the avoidance of doubt you have made up the name lesser white. And this is the first generation of large whites with the second generation coming in July.

You now need a small white to complete all of the Pieridae family (the whites) but you need to find a marbled white and a wood white (much harder) to complete all of the british butterflies with white in their name.

If you pop over to France you could add the bath white and black-veined white to your collection.

Are you still awake?

Peter
I think I'll let chance dictate which if any whites I add to the collection - however I've made a resolution to identify (and label) every insect I make a reasonable photo of.

So all corrections are welcome (and needed).

Anyway I no more made up the name lesser white than the chancellor made up his projections of economic growth, it was just a working assumption or indeed a mistake.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

I always manage to spend hours turning one butterfly into another and then as many hours changing my mind back again - so i am not the one to ask for I.D.

One thing that is certain is these super shots.....fantastic detail due to the excellent exposure and D.O.F.
I thought I was getting somewhere with my butterfly shots...now I KNOW there's a long way to go.

Keith
Old 23rd April 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
I always manage to spend hours turning one butterfly into another and then as many hours changing my mind back again - so i am not the one to ask for I.D.
Keith
I'm OK on ones I've positively identified before, the rest - well books and web pages give a lot of info, but they tend to work on the assumption your interest started at eight. It's very difficult to pick up the 'obvious' differences without an 'adults' help (or an obsessive 8 year old mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
One thing that is certain is these super shots.....fantastic detail due to the excellent exposure and D.O.F.
I thought I was getting somewhere with my butterfly shots...now I KNOW there's a long way to go.

Keith
Well with PaulE posting some stonking good shots, it's clear I'm not the group expert (but then I never thought I was).

My one tip is practise, whenever I can get a subject to pose I'll take as many shots as possible - varying the angle and exposure compensation - looking at the histogram for the last picture. Then I'll look at the results and study the exif. That way I get an instinct for what works - what I need for any shot.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk