Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 29th December 2011

Liked 2,835 Times in 837 Posts
Very bad shutter delay

We were invited to my partner's niece's house today and I decided to take a camera to get some photographs of her young daughters. I took my 'back up' E-510 with the 40-100 Mk2 zoom.

I was indoors with some natural light coming in through the windows and was using the flash but I experienced terrible shutter delay. I would place the target on the subject and half press the shutter button to get focus but when I pressed it all the way down nothing happened for four or five seconds until it took the shot. Naturally, this was hopeless with very active young children and I never ended up with the photograph which I was expecting.

Is this delay normal or could an incorrect camera setting cause it? It was a little annoying as my partner was having no problems with her Olympus VG-120 compact and she ended up with some great videos and photos!

Ron
Old 29th December 2011

Liked 271 Times in 111 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: Very bad shutter delay

Was the camera struggling to focus due to the poor light and slow lens? Even with pro and top pro lenses on Ex bodies I've had the occasional focus problem in poor light.

EM1i, EM5ii
Old 29th December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Was the camera struggling to focus due to the poor light and slow lens? Even with pro and top pro lenses on Ex bodies I've had the occasional focus problem in poor light.
I think that must have been the problem, although I was surprised as it was during the day with a fair amount of natural light and it didn't appear to be that dark.

The other thing was that there was no feel to the button. The flash was strobing away and it gained focus but the button didn't feel as if it was doing anything when I pressed it all the way down. I am not a fan of the flash strobing as focus assist. I would much prefer infra red.

Ron
Old 29th December 2011

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Assuming it isn't actually a fault in the shutter button, one of the usual culprits is switching on the delayed action or anti shock setting.

It's easy to do and, rather like enabling exposure bracketing, it leaves you wondering just what the heck has gone wrong with the camera :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 29th December 2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Have you checked to see whether the anti-shock was on?

Update: I see Pete beat me to it.
Old 29th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,399 Times in 2,087 Posts

I've found the strobing flash to be useless - the camera focuses far easier without it. I disable it on my cameras.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 29th December 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

When I was experienceing the same problem I eventually realised the solution was a Meacha nd Snaarman describe
Old 29th December 2011

Thanks for the anti-shock suggestion. I will check it later. As I say, it is my back up camera, which I rarely use, so it is possible that it is switched on.

Ron
Old 29th December 2011

Many thanks for the suggestions. I have now found out what the problem was and I feel extremely silly. About three weeks ago I took it to work to photograph some paintings for Christmas cards. I used a tripod and the 6 second self timer to avoid camera shake. Need I say more!! I wish it would reset when the camera is switched off to allow for idiotic users like me. I suppose the moral is to check the most obvious things first!

Ron
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Many thanks for the suggestions. I have now found out what the problem was and I feel extremely silly. About three weeks ago I took it to work to photograph some paintings for Christmas cards. I used a tripod and the 6 second self timer to avoid camera shake. Need I say more!! I wish it would reset when the camera is switched off to allow for idiotic users like me. I suppose the moral is to check the most obvious things first!

Ron
No need to feel silly, we've all done it at some time or other (my shot of Great Shefford Church was done with a 12 second delay, I couldn't work out why the camera wasn't responding properly, especially as I'd never set delay on purpose on that camera).

Once it happens, we think of all sorts of dreadful reasons why our complicated friend is struggling, never the obvious one 'that it's doing exactly what we told it'.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 30th December 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,561 Times in 895 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Very bad shutter delay

There is a lesson for us all here. I've asked Olympus to impliment a "MyMode" save to memory card, such that default/favorite settings can be quickly and easily restored.

Something for the New Years Resolutions - Always re-set the camera while waiting for the images to copy from the card to the computer...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Old 30th December 2011

Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,007 Posts
Liked 1,908 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:

Ron
Yeah, been there, done that. I first had to contend with my son using the camera with his own settings, so bought myself another camera but now I can only blame myself for overlooking previous used settings when I get carried away with the moment (& it still happens ).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Something for the New Years Resolutions - Always re-set the camera while waiting for the images to copy from the card to the computer...
If deviating from my normal settings I usually try to reset straight after finishing the shoot and double check I've reset everything while copying the images to the computer.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Old 30th December 2011
pepper

Thanks David and Graham, that sounds like a good idea to put into practice in my workflow, I've done silly things like leaving my camera in high ISO settings and then picked it up next time and haven't got the shots I wanted due to it all being set wrong. If I implement that idea I may have less issues in the future...
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 1,275 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:

Ron
Ron,
I have gone through exactly the same thing myself...

Other 'silly' things I managed to do before getting used to the camera operation includes the following:
  • Accidentally turning the exposure mode dial from (most often used) A to T, ending up with slightly blurred images and not realizing in the first place (pictures look OK at a glance on the LCD, only closer inspection reveals shake blur).
  • Accidentally operating the control dial and changing aperture value.
  • Accidentally operating the rightmost buttons on the back of the body, which are quite exposed (the AF mode and AF target buttons).