Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 4th April 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Impressed with the EPL-1

I am sure that this will come as no surprise to many of you but I am remarkably impressed with the above camera.

I bought one for my wife last Christmas in an attempt to encourage her into photography, and thus, to spend less time sighing while I am shooting

Anyway we spent the last weekend in Arundel having a little break and a combination of a bad back and a statement on Arundel Castle's website announcing that "Photography is not allowed in the castle" resulted in me leaving my kit behind and we only took the EPL-1.

Far be it from me to have taken over and hog the camera but I did end up taking quite a few shots with it. After a brief review (on an iPad screen) I am really impressed with the quality, and after a little bit of a learning curve, I was getting to grips with the controls!

I not sure I am ready to give up my 4/3 bodies or lenes yet but I am now thinking hard about a wide angle m4/3 (how much! ). Also a VF-2 is high on the wish list.

If anyone out there is struggling with the weight of a dSLR setup I would strongly recommend giving m4/3 a try.

I may even be tempted to post my first gallery shots for comment (never yet been brave enough) once I get home and get them sorted.

E-M1, E-M5, EP-3, E1
ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 12-50, 40-150, EC14, EC20, EX25
Sigma 30

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadgeteer2004/
Old 4th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,400 Times in 2,087 Posts
Re: Impressed with the EPL-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchallen View Post
I am sure that this will come as no surprise to many of you but I am remarkably impressed with the above camera.

I bought one for my wife last Christmas in an attempt to encourage her into photography, and thus, to spend less time sighing while I am shooting

Anyway we spent the last weekend in Arundel having a little break and a combination of a bad back and a statement on Arundel Castle's website announcing that "Photography is not allowed in the castle" resulted in me leaving my kit behind and we only took the EPL-1.

Far be it from me to have taken over and hog the camera but I did end up taking quite a few shots with it. After a brief review (on an iPad screen) I am really impressed with the quality, and after a little bit of a learning curve, I was getting to grips with the controls!

I not sure I am ready to give up my 4/3 bodies or lenes yet but I am now thinking hard about a wide angle m4/3 (how much! ). Also a VF-2 is high on the wish list.

If anyone out there is struggling with the weight of a dSLR setup I would strongly recommend giving m4/3 a try.

I may even be tempted to post my first gallery shots for comment (never yet been brave enough) once I get home and get them sorted.
I, too, love my E-PL1. It won't replace my E-3 but it does compliment it nicely, particularly when I don't want the weight and bulk of a DSLR. I can't have the E-3 with me all the time but I can have the Pen.

Don't be shy about posting some shots, Jason. We'll either admire them greatly, which will make you feel good, or we'll give positive, constructive and friendly advice on how to improve. Go for it!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th April 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Impressed with the EPL-1

Another big epl-1 fan here, its great for being able to take high quality photos, where big dslr's are not allowed these days, but same for me it would never replace my e-5 only compliment it

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff