Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 13th December 2010

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
E-5 JPEG versus RAW Colours

I'm curious to hear of other E-5 users experiences in respect of colour comparison, JPEG vs RAW.
So far I've left WB on Auto and note that, when viewed in Lightroom 3.3, the JPEG images all seem to have a slight 'red' hue, compared to the RAW versions, which seem to be closer to the actual, seen with the eye.
Regards
Graham
Old 13th December 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: E-5 JPEG versus RAW Colours

But RAW files are always a bit 'plainer' than jpg's. The RAW file hasn't had anything done to it, the jpg has been processed either in camera or in PP.

Old 13th December 2010

Liked 709 Times in 252 Posts

Noticed this on human hair this weekend.
Now Elements 9 has a RAW plugin - I shall just be shooting in RAW from now on.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 13th December 2010
Makonde

I can't say I've noticed this hue. I am using ACR/Photoshop for RAW development. I think the out-of-camera jpegs from normal lighting situations are excellent (All settings especially Picture Mode natural/standard). Do you see the same thing in Viewer2, or is it the way Lightroom is interpreting the RAW?
Old 13th December 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,561 Times in 895 Posts
Lightbulb Re: E-5 JPEG versus RAW Colours

One of the simplest explanations of why to shoot in RAW

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

I shoot RAW + 1024x768 jpg that way I have thumbnails sized to match my laptop. I then "process" whatever RAW Files I like, having quickly selected them from the small jpegs.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th December 2010
Makonde

I've reverted to shooting RAW + LSF instead of just RAW since I got the E-5 because the OOC jpegs much of the time are so good, my confidence in them is growing - getting the full size jpegs saves time. Whereas with the E520 I have not much confidence in the jpegs, so did nearly everything from RAW. For longer-term keepers, I save the RAW and a tif processed from it.
Old 13th December 2010

Thanks for the various inputs.
Whilst I take the point that RAW files may be a bit plainer than JPEGs; with my previous E-30, when viewed in LR3, both JPEG and RAW images looked the same colour.
Interestingly, as suggested by Makonde, I've just checked some images in Viewer 2 and there both JPEG and RAW images look the same as each other and without the 'red' tint.
It seems, therefore, that LR3 is doing something to the colour of the JPEG image.
To Barr1e's point that 'he will be shooting in RAW from now on', does anyone know if the E-5's RAW image still takes some advantage of Olympus's investment in TruePic V+/Fine Detail Processor enhancements; i.e. E-5 RAWs have been enhanced, as well as JPEGs?
Regards
Graham
Old 13th December 2010
Makonde

Another thought: have you got both camera and Lightroom set to the same colour space or is one in sRGB and the other in Adobe RGB? (with the E-5 you can change colourspace setting)
Old 14th December 2010

Hi Keith
Thanks for the suggestion..............I think you're on the right track!
With the E-5 and E-30 before that, I had Colour Space set to Adobe RGB, along with my HP Printer, as I thought to align with LR3 Camera Profile = Adobe Standard. This setup worked fine with E-30 and associated prints. I also carry out monthly Monitor colour calibration checks.
So, as I've said, in LR3 JPEGs display 'red' tint, RAWs look natural.
On closer inspection in Viewer 2, both JPEG and RAW look the same and I can now see a slight 'red' tint in them.
However, if in Viewer 2, I change RAW colour space from Adobe RGB to sRGB, then 'red' tint disappears completely!
I've also now gone back and checked some E-30 JPEG/RAW images and can see, in Lightroom, that there is a difference between them, but it is nowhere near as pronounced as with E-5 images.
So thanks, it seems the problem(?) is colour space related, so I suppose one solution would be to go back to sRGB throughout. Although I think LR3 still remains as Adobe Standard (no optional profiles as per Canon and Nikon).
However, I'm not keen to do that because when using the E-30, I discovered that Adobe RGB throughout definitely showed more print detail.
Perhaps I need to sound out Adobe about this issue.
Regards
Graham
Old 14th December 2010
Makonde

Interesting. Fits with my not noticing any difference in ACR/Photoshop where I always stick with sRGB
Old 14th December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_jester View Post
Thanks for the various inputs.
Whilst I take the point that RAW files may be a bit plainer than JPEGs; with my previous E-30, when viewed in LR3, both JPEG and RAW images looked the same colour.
Interestingly, as suggested by Makonde, I've just checked some images in Viewer 2 and there both JPEG and RAW images look the same as each other and without the 'red' tint.
It seems, therefore, that LR3 is doing something to the colour of the JPEG image.
To Barr1e's point that 'he will be shooting in RAW from now on', does anyone know if the E-5's RAW image still takes some advantage of Olympus's investment in TruePic V+/Fine Detail Processor enhancements; i.e. E-5 RAWs have been enhanced, as well as JPEGs?
Regards
Graham
The appearance of a RAW file is entirely dependant on the defaults that your RAW conversion software applies. If you are using Olympus software (like Master, Studio, or Viewer 2) then the RAW file will be indistinguishable from the camera JPEG because the RAW converter starts off with the same settings as the camera used to create the JPEG. But use Lightroom, for example, and the RAW preview will look different.

All said and done, you do raise some good points about the contribution of the TruePic image processor. In theory, it shouldn't have any effect on a RAW file, but the evidence suggests that the quality of RAW files is constantly improving with new models. so it's certainly a mystery. I will try to get an answer out of Olympus' Toshi Terada when I see him at the end of the week.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th December 2010
Makonde

When you first open a RAW in Viewer, for a few moments you seem to get a default setting before the camera settings are applied.

Could you also ask him what exactly is lost when an ORF is converted to a DNG?

Also, do *any* camera settings (other than those controlling the amount of light and sensitivity, and the noise reduction operation, and the IS presumably) affect how the information is recorded in the ORF?
Old 14th December 2010

Liked 709 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
When you first open a RAW in Viewer, for a few moments you seem to get a default setting before the camera settings are applied.

Also, do *any* camera settings (other than those controlling the amount of light and sensitivity, and the noise reduction operation, and the IS presumably) affect how the information is recorded in the ORF?
I was just pondering over the same question in my mind walking back from the sorting office this morning - I too would like to know whether camera settings have a bearing on ORF files.
I was about to return the camera to Factory Settings, but will wait to see if Ian gleans any info from Toshi Terada.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 14th December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post

I don't expect Toshi will be able to answer the question about DNG as Olympus don't support DNG. But I could ask someone at Adobe.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th December 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

One thing to bear in mind is that Lightroom works on self generated previews and LR previews are proberly srgb and indeed any embedded previews in the file itself or DNG embedded previews are indeed in the srgb space.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/