Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 688
Thanks: 261
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Likes: 139
Liked 280 Times in 71 Posts
Freezing issues

Yesterday I tried the EM1-II out on the test and wow and every now and again the shutter would become unresponsive, not focussing or taking a picture when using with the Olly 300mm f4. I did a full reset and it still happened and just put it down to a faulty body. However, my new EM1-II arrived today and I had the same issue when using the Panny 100-400mm, is this a known issue and is there a fix?

I used the same cards in each camera (Sandisk Extreme Pro) and they were formatted in each camera each time.
__________________
Nikon D850, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro OS HSM, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8, Sigma 56mm f1.4

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 10,492
Thanks: 682
Thanked 534 Times in 501 Posts
Likes: 5,036
Liked 2,689 Times in 1,284 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Only slowing down issue I have had with the same kit is when the buffer is pretty full and is writing to the SD card. If you are using High Sequential or just taking loads of shots in quick succession, the buffer fills up and takes time to empty. SD card type will make a big difference. I use the Lexar 150mb/sec, (HCII) which is pretty fast, but still sometimes takes time to write. The 300mb/sec might be a better choice if you are going to use very high sequential shooting...….

That might be one reason for hangups, maybe others but I am not aware of them...……..Good luck..
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
wornish's Avatar
wornish wornish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 4,878
Thanks: 287
Thanked 437 Times in 331 Posts
Likes: 2,202
Liked 1,291 Times in 634 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

If you are using the Pro Cap H setting and taking lots of shots it could temporarily slow down while the buffer is emptied if you have a slow card. I use a Lexar Pro 300MB/sec SD card and it seems to cope without hold up.
__________________
Dave

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 688
Thanks: 261
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Likes: 139
Liked 280 Times in 71 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Only slowing down issue I have had with the same kit is when the buffer is pretty full and is writing to the SD card. If you are using High Sequential or just taking loads of shots in quick succession, the buffer fills up and takes time to empty. SD card type will make a big difference. I use the Lexar 150mb/sec, (HCII) which is pretty fast, but still sometimes takes time to write. The 300mb/sec might be a better choice if you are going to use very high sequential shooting....

That might be one reason for hangups, maybe others but I am not aware of them.....Good luck..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
If you are using the Pro Cap H setting and taking lots of shots it could temporarily slow down while the buffer is emptied if you have a slow card. I use a Lexar Pro 300MB/sec SD card and it seems to cope without hold up.
Thanks, it's definitely not the buffering (which is annoying ). It's even happened when I've turned the camera on and not taken a shot. Two things have fixed it, either time or switching it off and on again.

If it was just one or the other camera I'd assume it's a fault, but it's with both. The only thing I can think then is the memory card(s). Whilst they were formatted in camera I know other cameras (namely the Nikon D500) that wouldn't play nice with cards that had been used in other cameras even if they've been formatted in camera. I've bought some new cards so will see how I get on.
__________________
Nikon D850, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro OS HSM, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8, Sigma 56mm f1.4

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,302
Thanks: 1,985
Thanked 1,251 Times in 987 Posts
Likes: 4,995
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,028 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks, it's definitely not the buffering (which is annoying ). It's even happened when I've turned the camera on and not taken a shot. Two things have fixed it, either time or switching it off and on again.

If it was just one or the other camera I'd assume it's a fault, but it's with both. The only thing I can think then is the memory card(s). Whilst they were formatted in camera I know other cameras (namely the Nikon D500) that wouldn't play nice with cards that had been used in other cameras even if they've been formatted in camera. I've bought some new cards so will see how I get on.
First, assign the SD card 1 & 2 writing (Menu H1 Card Slot Settings) such as SD 1 with an SDHC II (300MB/s) for 'stills' & video to SD 2 that only writes at SDHC I (95MB/s) speed & not writing to both cards, as that will slow down the writing to the slowest card. I have mine set to stills in SD1 with overflow onto SD2 & video to SD2 with overflow onto SD1. Also, are your Sandisk SD cards definitely genuine?
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (4 Weeks Ago)
  #6  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 688
Thanks: 261
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Likes: 139
Liked 280 Times in 71 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
First, assign the SD card 1 & 2 writing (Menu H1 Card Slot Settings) such as SD 1 with an SDHC II (300MB/s) for 'stills' & video to SD 2 that only writes at SDHC I (95MB/s) speed & not writing to both cards, as that will slow down the writing to the slowest card. I have mine set to stills in SD1 with overflow onto SD2 & video to SD2 with overflow onto SD1. Also, are your Sandisk SD cards definitely genuine?
I write to both cards as like to have backup. However, as previously mentioned the freezing is unrelated to the writing process, it has frozen even without a shot being taken

All my cards have been bought from reputable sources and have never played up before. They are the same cards I’ve used in both my Nikon and previous EM1.
__________________
Nikon D850, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro OS HSM, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8, Sigma 56mm f1.4

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,302
Thanks: 1,985
Thanked 1,251 Times in 987 Posts
Likes: 4,995
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,028 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
I write to both cards as like to have backup. However, as previously mentioned the freezing is unrelated to the writing process, it has frozen even without a shot being taken

All my cards have been bought from reputable sources and have never played up before. They are the same cards I’ve used in both my Nikon and previous EM1.
Then you'll only get to write at up to 95MB/s & not 300MB/s if you put an SDHC II card in slot 1 which (95MB/s) is rather slow for Pro Capture.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), snerkler (4 Weeks Ago)
  #8  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
blu-by-u blu-by-u is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Posts: 1,521
Thanks: 177
Thanked 78 Times in 64 Posts
Likes: 230
Liked 513 Times in 274 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Also check if the battery saving is set to OFF in your test. it could be set to short and hence when you are not using the camera, it auto Shuts off. I notice in mine that it takes longer to restart than using the physical on/off switch.

Also the battery & contacts. Are you using originals? If not, please test with the original battery.
__________________
* Henry
* Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
* Malaysia


All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago), snerkler (4 Weeks Ago)
  #9  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 688
Thanks: 261
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Likes: 139
Liked 280 Times in 71 Posts
Re: Freezing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Then you'll only get to write at up to 95MB/s & not 300MB/s if you put an SDHC II card in slot 1 which (95MB/s) is rather slow for Pro Capture.
Yeah I know, but I'd rather that than have a corrupt card tbh. Plus I've not hit the buffer limit yet either

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Also check if the battery saving is set to OFF in your test. it could be set to short and hence when you are not using the camera, it auto Shuts off. I notice in mine that it takes longer to restart than using the physical on/off switch.

Also the battery & contacts. Are you using originals? If not, please test with the original battery.
Thanks I'll look into that. I've also noticed a sleep mode so will turn that off too.
__________________
Nikon D850, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro OS HSM, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8, Sigma 56mm f1.4

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EM-1 MkII freezing when using live bulb and live timer Clockwork Donkey Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 6 20th May 2017 02:45 PM
HELP! AF issues with 50-200 SWD lanceric124 Standard zoom and mid range 3 19th October 2014 05:08 PM
More 40-150 issues... al_kaholik Telephoto 10 4th September 2012 09:37 AM
AF issues on E-410 davinharvey Camera conference 6 18th September 2009 10:24 AM
Results of two days of freezing drizzle iMac Foto Fair 4 5th March 2009 07:08 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger