Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 18th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 683 Times in 645 Posts
Likes: 257
Liked 1,289 Times in 791 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
You're not originally from Yorkshire by any chance, are you, david?
Close to the Welsh border in Cheshire with Welsh ancestors which could explain it.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (18th June 2017)
  #17  
Old 18th June 2017
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 5,858
Thanks: 278
Thanked 348 Times in 297 Posts
Likes: 1,756
Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Close to the Welsh border in Cheshire with Welsh ancestors which could explain it.
Are there sheep involved?
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
David M (18th June 2017), Zuiko (19th June 2017)
  #18  
Old 18th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 683 Times in 645 Posts
Likes: 257
Liked 1,289 Times in 791 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Are there sheep involved?
Neigh, neigh.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (18th June 2017)
  #19  
Old 18th June 2017
PeterBirder's Avatar
PeterBirder PeterBirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BRAINTREE ESSEX
Posts: 5,925
Thanks: 1,759
Thanked 1,025 Times in 855 Posts
Likes: 1,928
Liked 782 Times in 459 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Anyhow, does the user manual explain why there are so many different sizes of key?
I think so but the menu is too confusing and talks of assingning functions to different keys and cross points and groups of nine so I gave up.
__________________
Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
David M (18th June 2017), Naughty Nigel (18th June 2017)
  #20  
Old 18th June 2017
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Likes: 4,070
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
On an actual serious note, Google Robertson head screws. A Canadian screw head designed to confuse Americans.
Well it seems Robertson misses out on any recognition 'cause our replaced decking was screwed down with No 2 Square Drive heads.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-1...-pack_p2410149 Actually, these weren't as strong as the hardened steel ones the builder used though, with a 'cheese head' .
And the drive bits. http://www.thefastenerfactory.com.au...bit-sq2-x-50mm
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 18th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 683 Times in 645 Posts
Likes: 257
Liked 1,289 Times in 791 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Well it seems Robertson misses out on any recognition 'cause our replaced decking was screwed down with No 2 Square Drive heads.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-1...-pack_p2410149 Actually, these weren't as strong as the hardened steel ones the builder used though, with a 'cheese head' .
And the drive bits. http://www.thefastenerfactory.com.au...bit-sq2-x-50mm
Interesting, it looks awfully like a Robertson drive. I actually came across Robertson screws in the UK in the '90s. They were supplied to assemble a garden shed which as it turned out was made in Canada. There was a Robertson drive screwdriver bit included so as not to confuse us Brits.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 18th June 2017
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Likes: 4,070
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Interesting, it looks awfully like a Robertson drive. I actually came across Robertson screws in the UK in the '90s. They were supplied to assemble a garden shed which as it turned out was made in Canada. There was a Robertson drive screwdriver bit included so as not to confuse us Brits.
Yes, in some packets of SQ2 screws they also include a bit (or at least they did a few years ago). I noticed there is an SQ3 as well but SQ2 is the norm here in all the screws I've seen (or used). The square design is so simple & positive in drive it is a wonder it wasn't used many years ago instead of a hex drive.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 18th June 2017
Olybirder Olybirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 5,141
Thanks: 2,094
Thanked 836 Times in 665 Posts
Likes: 1,255
Liked 1,808 Times in 625 Posts
Re: Which is best?

If you look on You Tube there are plenty of videos showing you how allen keys work. I would start with 'unboxing my allen keys' although it sounds as if you have already rushed in and bypassed this step, which is a pity. Please bear in mind that allen keys have been specifically designed to round the slot in the screw head, so if this is not the result you are after I would stick with your sledge hammer. It is what I always use.

Ron
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th June 2017), Zuiko (19th June 2017)
  #24  
Old 19th June 2017
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Likes: 4,070
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
It you look on You Tube there are plenty of videos showing you how allen keys work. I would start with 'unboxing my allen keys' although it sounds as if you have already rushed in and bypassed this step, which is a pity. Please bear in mind that allen keys have been specifically designed to round the slot in the screw head, so if this is not the result you are after I would stick with your sledge hammer. It is what I always use.

Ron
Yep, & if it doesn't go in just get a bigger hammer & hit it harder!
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19th June 2017
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 11,504
Thanks: 1,801
Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Likes: 4,070
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
It you look on You Tube there are plenty of videos showing you how allen keys work. I would start with 'unboxing my allen keys' although it sounds as if you have already rushed in and bypassed this step, which is a pity. Please bear in mind that allen keys have been specifically designed to round the slot in the screw head, so if this is not the result you are after I would stick with your sledge hammer. It is what I always use.

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Yep, & if it doesn't go in just get a bigger hammer & hit it harder!
I found a Roberts product! It must have been inspired by the American Screw Driver (hammer). https://www.bunnings.com.au/roberts-...-pack_p6828129
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19th June 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 683 Times in 645 Posts
Likes: 257
Liked 1,289 Times in 791 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Yes, in some packets of SQ2 screws they also include a bit (or at least they did a few years ago). I noticed there is an SQ3 as well but SQ2 is the norm here in all the screws I've seen (or used). The square design is so simple & positive in drive it is a wonder it wasn't used many years ago instead of a hex drive.
There's 6 different sizes of Robertson sockets but only 3 or 4 seem to be in common use.

And yes, the design is so simple and positive I'm surprised they aren't more common.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th June 2017)
  #27  
Old 19th June 2017
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 5,858
Thanks: 278
Thanked 348 Times in 297 Posts
Likes: 1,756
Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There's 6 different sizes of Robertson sockets but only 3 or 4 seem to be in common use.

And yes, the design is so simple and positive I'm surprised they aren't more common.
The Robertson design would seem to have some practical advantages over the regular Philips or Pozidrive heads, (there and many of these and most are incompatible ), but for rapid assembly using powered tools the Philips/Pozidrive heads are still quicker and easier to use by virtue of their self-centering action.

The Robertson design is not inherently self-centering, and using a power tool it would take too long to engage the tool in the head before toque could be applied. Anyone who has tried to use a flat-bladed screwdriver head with a power tool will know what I mean!

Size for size, the well established hexagonal key and socket (Allen is a registered trade mark of the Apex Tool Group) provides a better, more secure drive, with greater surface contact than is possible with a square socket. A hexagonal drive is also better in tight spaces where a quarter or half of a turn is not always possible.

It is as well to remember that most of the newer drive systems, such as Torx, Pozidrive and their variants have been designed to save time and reduce mistakes/unintentional damage in production environments. They are not necessarily designed for DIY use!
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 19th June 2017
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 3,811
Thanks: 326
Thanked 825 Times in 626 Posts
Likes: 59
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,162 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Allen keys are well past their sell by date. You need to think big and look to screwless bonding. So what if it falls apart after 2 years - that's consumerism!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 19th June 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NW-UK
Posts: 2,491
Thanks: 474
Thanked 296 Times in 234 Posts
Likes: 504
Liked 576 Times in 342 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Allen keys are well past their sell by date. You need to think big and look to screwless bonding. So what if it falls apart after 2 years - that's consumerism!
I couldn't possibly comment........ despite being sorely tempted

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 19th June 2017
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 19,991
Thanks: 1,861
Thanked 2,850 Times in 2,196 Posts
Likes: 2,596
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,635 Posts
Re: Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Are there sheep involved?
Definitely! That's why he needs the allen screws, to tighten the rear harness!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (19th June 2017)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger