Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th June 2017

Liked 1,098 Times in 753 Posts
Re: Doh!

If you use full resolution Jpeg with low or medium compression you can still make adjustments in PS, but options are limited.

I usually set LF + Raw, but for work (where images are used in Word reports) I set it to SN + Raw. That way I can easily copy images to DropBox before returning home, (just in case something happens to my equipment), and I have the Jpeg files of a suitable size ready to add to reports or to email to clients.

I always keep work Raw files in case they are needed at some point. If a job 'goes legal' it is always good to have the Raw files to hand.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Greytop (18th June 2017)
Old 18th June 2017

Liked 483 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
If you use full resolution Jpeg with low or medium compression you can still make adjustments in PS, but options are limited.
Agreed Nigel, it's just that I predominately shoot RAW (I use Capture One Pro) and Jpegs are purely for a quick review and occasionally for comparison in post.

Olympus bodies and lenses
CaptureOne Pro
My flickr
Old 18th June 2017

Liked 1,098 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Agreed Nigel, it's just that I predominately shoot RAW (I use Capture One Pro) and Jpegs are purely for a quick review and occasionally for comparison in post.
I know what you mean. I don't feel 'properly dressed' if I don't use Raw capture, but the better quality Jpegs are actually very good.

As a point of interest, I accidentally tripped the shutter with the lens cap still on my E-M1, as you sometimes do. The exposure was several seconds at ISO 1,600 if I recall. (ISO 1,600 is my chosen maximum.)

Anyhow, the Raw image was extremely noisy, as you would expect, but the Jpeg was totally black!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing