Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th June 2017

Liked 1,042 Times in 638 Posts
Street London

This may be of interest to some, especially if living in the SE:
http://streetlondon.co.uk

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (17th June 2017)
Old 16th June 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,100 Times in 660 Posts
Re: Street London

From 100.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
From 100.
I know, looks a bit spicy, but there are some Street Photographers inhabiting this neighbourhood who may not blink.

on flickr
Old 16th June 2017
Administrator

I see a lot of these advertisements and wonder if anyone is actually making a living from it.

I can see the value in going on one of Damiean Demoulder street walks, but having seen, and listened in on, some of the groups that work around the banks of the Thames, etc., the standard of "tuition" is questionable.

A year ago I was employed by an Adult College to do courses like this, but they never got enough people to run them.

Old 16th June 2017

I've tasted first hand some pretty rubbish Street tuition - I won't mention a name as it could land me in trouble. On the other hand I've attended one run by DM and learnt a lot, surprisingly about exposure. Damien structures the course in a well though out manner, and I'd highly recommend him to anyone looking for tuition.

Back to Street London, part of the deal is a print swop.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (16th June 2017)
Old 16th June 2017

Liked 151 Times in 84 Posts

My experience of Street workshops is that far too much time is taken with "let's go round the table and say something about yourself and what you want to gain from today". The last one I attended as a guest, that process took one and a half hours.

Last year, I did a 400 mile round trip for a workshop give by a 'luminary', same thing happened. The capacity limit was 30, I would say that about 15 photographers attended. Had 30 folk turned up, it could have taken up to the lunch break. Why would I want to spend a large proportion of the day listening to the wishes and aspirations of people whose expectation and experience is significantly different to my own? Workshops are off my agenda for the foreseeable future which is a pity. Any organiser of such an event could surely gather attendee information prior to the event and not during.

As far the the symposium is concerned, I'm tempted but needs thinking about. Not interested in a load of guff defining what SP is and what it's not.

Ho hum!

David
Old 16th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
My experience of Street workshops is that far too much time is taken with "let's go round the table and say something about yourself and what you want to gain from today". The last one I attended as a guest, that process took one and a half hours.

Last year, I did a 400 mile round trip for a workshop give by a 'luminary', same thing happened. The capacity limit was 30, I would say that about 15 photographers attended. Had 30 folk turned up, it could have taken up to the lunch break. Why would I want to spend a large proportion of the day listening to the wishes and aspirations of people whose expectation and experience is significantly different to my own? Workshops are off my agenda for the foreseeable future which is a pity. Any organiser of such an event could surely gather attendee information prior to the event and not during.

As far the the symposium is concerned, I'm tempted but needs thinking about. Not interested in a load of guff defining what SP is and what it's not.

Ho hum!

David
This sounds familiar.

On the topic of improving one's street photography, I think there's a lot to be gained from purchasing and studying photography books of or by the masters.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (18th June 2017)
Old 16th June 2017

You are right Steve, books represent much better value. From what I hear, most workshops just do not provide notes that can be referred to later. It's interesting that on this forum so little is written about photography books, few if any reviews, suggestions or recommendations. My 'library' grows slowly but surely. Latest acquisition is 'Beyond Beauty' covering the work of Irving Penn.

David
Old 16th June 2017

You want to see my book case, the shelves are filling up rapidly, on average I'm adding a book every month or two. One of my recent acquisitions is Magnum Contact Sheets, an excellent book and it's interesting and educational to see how the recognised masters worked a scene, and the final cut to the masterful shots we recognise. I found it interesting to read that HCB would look at his contact sheets upside down to check the 'form' before studying the 'content'. The rejected images, well he literally cut them up using scissors.

on flickr
Old 16th June 2017
Administrator

For me all photography must be fun, and when I'm not enjoying myself I stop.

I most enjoy capturing people's expression, so often I will engage with them.

https://flic.kr/p/A7tTEf

Old 17th June 2017

Liked 770 Times in 420 Posts

There is one event in that festival, and one workshop in the London Street Photography Festival the weekend after, that I'd recommend and would consider attending myself, but I'm already going to a street workshop in late September. Enough's enough, so I won't be going to either.

First, Dougie Wallace is a star, and if his sort of street shooting interests you then 35 quid for a 90' street walk on Friday evening isn't bad. Unfortunately I assume you have to pay 100+ to go to the rest of the thing as well and sit through lots of social media marketing and all the gestelt, blurry snaps and zen bollox from angry young things with prominent piercings (sorry).

Secondly, Vineet Vohra really is an internationally-famous street photographer with a good reputation for proper teaching, and 2+ days of him for 349 is good value IMHO - http://lspf.co.uk/workshops/
http://www.thestreetcollective.com/vineet-vohra/
That's very tempting, but I can't afford the time just then.

Mostly otherwise I'd say these are much more style than substance. Brick Lane is a tired cliche these days, Hipster Heaven.

I'm happy to admit I've never heard of most of the photographers involved with either.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 18th June 2017

Liked 134 Times in 85 Posts

Best way to improve your street photography. Get camera and walk out the door. Wish I took my own advice
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 18th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
Best way to improve your street photography. Get camera and walk out the door. Wish I took my own advice
This is true. One of the greatest barriers for most street photographers is fear, fear of confrontation in one form or another. I've been on a number of 'courses' but not one has taught fear management. On one of these I was advised to shoot from the hip, but I think that's sneaky and worse than having the viewfinder to the eye if caught. In terms of the higher end of sneakiness the long Safari type lens is king!

on flickr
Old 18th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
This is true. One of the greatest barriers for most street photographers is fear, fear of confrontation in one form or another. I've been on a number of 'courses' but not one has taught fear management. On one of these I was advised to shoot from the hip, but I think that's sneaky and worse than having the viewfinder to the eye if caught. In terms of the higher end of sneakiness the long Safari type lens is king!
Shooting from the hip is a real cop out. I talk to a lot of the people I photograph, 99% of the time it's great. The only time I've been told to f**k off was down to my poor judgement. Occasionally, I take a candid photo and then tell the person and ask if that's OK with them. I took this approach with one guy, we had a very interesting conversation about immigration and our roots, (he is Afro- Caribbean) and we ended up doing a duet on the street. By chance, we met again a few months later and I got one of my favourite shots of all time.

PS to Mark. Brick Lane can be a cliche but still rewarding if you get between the 'skin and the shirt' ..............(Cartier Bresson)

David
Old 18th June 2017

An exception to the wait level technique (which is akin to Emus burying their heads in the sand - a good story but unfounded) is the TLR as used by VM.

When browsing the past masters, their images alway look better than what's churned out today - maybe because the streets were less cluttered, maybe because people took more pride in their appearance, ... the list could go on.

on flickr