Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th June 2017

Liked 191 Times in 85 Posts
Re: Eight reasons digital photographers should try film

Stayed with 35mm right through my career. From my initial SLR in 1974, right through till I felt digital would cut it for magazine work (D2H for sport and D2X for studio work in 2003 and 2004 respectively).

I used both film and digital in 2001 and 2002, depending on what I was shooting, and for whom, initially "playing" with various digital cameras, and then using a D100 from 2002.

Used a mix of full frame and m43 from August 2015, and finally binned all the full frame at the launch of the E-M1 mkII in December 2016
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 1,410 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Howver, what i wanted to say here is that I don't go out into the countryside or wherever simply to take photographs. I go out to enjoy the scenery and fresh air first-hand, not to spend an entire day behind a camera. That is entirely possible with digital at virtually zero cost, but I wouldn't enjoy it. I would far rather spend less time framing stunning scenery on a big waist level finder, capturing the limited number of exposures that are possible with film, knowing that every last detail will be captured.
As the shots are, essentially, free with digital the pursuit of multiple subjects and viewpoints means more physical exercise and perhaps some increase in intellectual stimulus.

Harold
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
As the shots are, essentially, free with digital the pursuit of multiple subjects and viewpoints means more physical exercise and perhaps some increase in intellectual stimulus.

Harold
I think that depends on what you enjoy taking photographs of and why. I would counter that good analogue photography is a much more intellectual process than digital, but that isn't why I enjoy it.

In any case I only use film for landscape, seascape and architecture, with digital used for everything else.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 1,003 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post

Harold
Depends how many shots an individual takes over the lifespan* of a digital camera. If you then amortise depreciation over that period, I bet the shots are not 'essentially free'.

* lifespan is generally 3 years; camera manufactures need to keep replacing models to stay in business. Photographers update to stay current.

on flickr
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Depends how many shots an individual takes over the lifespan* of a digital camera. If you then amortise depreciation over that period, I bet the shots are not 'essentially free'.

* lifespan is generally 3 years; camera manufactures need to keep replacing models to stay in business. Photographers update to stay current.
Depreciatin of a twenty-year-old medium format film camera would be negligible compared with a new DSLR. It would certainly buy a lot of film!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 1,003 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Depreciatin of a twenty-year-old medium format film camera would be negligible compared with a new DSLR. It would certainly buy a lot of film!
Certainly would!
I purchased an M6 for a very good price. If I decided to sell it on, I'd realise a profit.

on flickr