Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 1,466 Times in 830 Posts
Re: Has Theresa May shot herself in the foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Someone, somewhere, has to foot the bill.
Shooting yourself in the foot excuses you!

Harold
drmarkf (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Jeremy Corbyn's spending proposals are just downright frightening, and I have very real fears about where he plans to get the money from.
He will get the money to renationalise the railways from the same place that Theresa May will get it for HS2.

Harold
sapper (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 696 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
The woman can't do anything right !

John
True John she can't do anything right.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 770 Times in 420 Posts

Yes, there are actually equally enormous holes in both the manifestos - but most of the press are relentlessly plugging away at Corbyn while lapping up the Blessed Theresa's every word.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-2017-election

Just sayin'

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (2nd June 2017), Jim Ford (2nd June 2017), RobEW (3rd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Ever since I saw family property confiscated by a Labour Government I have not trusted them. I still do not, I am not impressed by any other party so I have to vote for the least worst party.

A plague on all your houses.
I don't remember this Derek, can you provide a link, details?
Old 2nd June 2017

So, an elderly person need care which is not available form relatives. Paying by selling their home after they die may be fair.

For a person living alone it could be said that they realised their assets to their personal benefit. However, what has not been explained it this. If one of a couple needs such an arrangement, is it just to take away their spouse's right to pass their home, or a share of it, on?

Also, adult children are often carers for an elderly parent, sharing the parental home and perhaps having no chance to own a home of their own or to even have a family. How is the "fair" principle going to operate for them?

Harold
Ricoh (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 770 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
However, what has not been explained it this. If one of a couple needs such an arrangement, is it just to take away their spouse's right to pass their home, or a share of it, on?

Also, adult children are often carers for an elderly parent, sharing the parental home and perhaps having no chance to own a home of their own or to even have a family. How is the "fair" principle going to operate for them?

Harold
To your second point, it is possible to give proportions of the value of homes to them (with no tax liability as long as one partner survives 7 years, and a sliding scale before that).

The first is more complicated and I don't know Dilnot's proposals well enough to comment. However, in principle if each member of the partnership/marriage effectively owned half of the home value, less any cap, then the survivor could be able to stay on, passing half the value on in their estate or using it for their own care if needed.

That's just my view on what seems reasonable - the main point is that this is a complicated area with all sorts of possible unintended consequences, so it needs a careful analysis. What the Tories gave us instead was a short-term and superficial attempt to grab some votes, followed by another ill considered u-turn.

Strongly feeble and stably vacillating, if you ask me.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (3rd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 716 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Ever since I saw family property confiscated by a Labour Government I have not trusted them.
Really! When and where did that happen then? As you stated that you saw it happen, you must have details.

Jim
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 293 Times in 219 Posts

Sappper - 1948 Nationalisation of the Haulage Industry - my father and his brothers had a few lorries.

Part of the Clause 4 doctrine. From Wikipedia

"To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and the most equitable distribution thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service."

It was watered down in 1995. However Corbyn is wanting to re introduce it for Railways, Water, Electricity and no doubt telephones and internet at some point thereby ensuring that we all have a crappy service.
Naughty Nigel (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,195 Posts
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote:

Corbyn is wanting to re introduce it for Railways, Water, Electricity and no doubt telephones and internet at some point thereby ensuring that we all have a crappy service.
You mean we don't already?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,195 Posts
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Currently the Department of Work and Pensions has 5 times as many staff working on preventing benefit fraud than HMRC has on preventing/recovering personal tax fraud.
They are not all working on preventing benefit fraud, most of them are following Government policy to block genuine claimants by working to strict targets to reject as many applications as possible. Naturally they are deliberately unhelpful, because the system is set up to be that way. Until I had cause to experience making benefit claims myself I just would not have believed it possible for the system to be so bad or for Government policy towards disabled people to be so cynically vicious and spiteful.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
drmarkf (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Quote:
Sappper - 1948 Nationalisation of the Haulage Industry - my father and his brothers had a few lorries.

Part of the Clause 4 doctrine. From Wikipedia

"To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and the most equitable distribution thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service."

It was watered down in 1995. However Corbyn is wanting to re introduce it for Railways, Water, Electricity and no doubt telephones and internet at some point thereby ensuring that we all have a crappy service.
Did they not get compensated?
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I'm quite prepared to proportionately pay more tax, if it means that I won't feel so uncomfortable living in a society of food banks, people living on the streets NHS cuts and the many other running sores.

I probably wouldn't pay much more anyway, as I'm asset rich, but cash poor. I own my own house, but live on a modest pension.

I totally agree that tax avoidance loopholes should be closed as a matter of priority.

Jim
I would be more than happy to pay more income tax if I felt the money was being spent wisely on things that mattered, such as education and the NHS, but not on endless bureaucracy that costs money and does nothing to help businesses and those who work for a living.

Labour employed an additional 700,000 or so public servants during their last period in office. Can we expect more of the same under Corbyn? Perhaps they will be needed to administer his reported 'Garden tax'.

However, what I really resent is that there are many in the Labour camp who see anyone who works hard and is moderately successful as a 'money tree' and a prime target for taxation, taxation and yet more taxation.

As I know to my own cost Labour has a similar attitude to savers, private pension funds and those who have worked hard to buy their own homes.

Yes, I agree that higher earners should pay their fair share of tax, but there coms a point where taxation becomes so acute that those who can will either move abroad, find ways of minimising their tax liability, or simply lose the motivation to run businesses or become entrepreneurs.

We hear at lot from Labour about 'tax cuts for the wealthy' after the coalition reduced the top rate of tax to 'just 45 pence in the pound', down from Labour's high of 50 pence introduced with impeccable timing just a few weeks before the 2010 General Election. (Labour seems to be very good at introducing legislation which is divisive to reverse.)

However, whilst the headline rate may be 45%, this excludes National Insurance, which adds another 10% or so, meaning that those paying the top rate of tax are paying more in tax than they are taking home. Surely that cannot be right?

Like others I crave a system which is fair for all, including the self employed and small business owners; and not just those who work in public services and belong to powerful trades unions that have the Labour Party over a barrel. Unfortunately, none of the parties seem to be able to deliver this at present.

Anyhow, I am off to enjoy my garden whilst I can still afford it. We cannot allow green spaces around houses can we? No doubt we will soon be reaccommodated in identical concrete tower blocks, Soviet style.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd June 2017

I understand that, if the Conservatives win the election, they will introduce a tax on beards.

Harold
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 3,422 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I understand that, if the Conservatives win the election, they will introduce a tax on beards.

Harold
Being it on! I'm clean shaven and have shares in Gillette!