Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 542 Times in 367 Posts
Re: Has Theresa May shot herself in the foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
labour = no university fees and plenty of other freebies (something must go up tax wise)
Yes, but if you want to live in a decent society with decent standards you have to pay for it!

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (3 Weeks Ago), drmarkf (3 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 650 Times in 365 Posts

Of course the social care proposals need to be paid for, and the decision needs to be faced as to who and when.

My biggest criticism of the carcrash vacillation by May over this is that the Conservative proposals ignored the carefully worked-out and costed proposals of Lord Dilnot's working group, and then they threw the whole thing in to the air again as soon as a few shots were fired across her bow.

Here's a link to some of the Dilnot stuff - it was published before the last few flip-flops, but you'll get the idea: this was developed with common sense and care and it was costed: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-andrew-dilnot

It sounds a reasonable way forward to me (speaking as someone who'd be paying quite a bit for my care, and would be pleased and proud to do so: why should I expect state benefits so my kids can benefit from what they haven't earned?)

May repeatedly allows herself to be pulled by the nose left and right by focus groups chasing votes: how can any sensible person have confidence that she's going to deliver anything sensible in the Brexit negotiations? Don't tell me this is leadership - Maggie would be wetting herself laughing.

May's personal rating is suffering somewhat, but the general public is still eagerly pulling the wool over their own eyes and hearing what they want to hear (and disregarding the rest: with apologies to P. Simon, 1970)

RantMode = OFF

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,024 Times in 435 Posts

As I said earlier on, I'm not too keen on either leaders of the main party's or any other of the so called wannabees. So, taking my own advice - prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I'm off down the shops to buy a waterproof coat with hood, waterproof trousers, a pair of wellies and some smelly stuff to eradicate the smell of bulls wotsit.

As things stand, no matter who gets in we're going to get crapped and piddled on from a high height.

I shall also invest in a crate of pest repellant aerolsols - to keep the - sounds like aerosols - away from the door should they come back.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

sapper (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 916 Times in 553 Posts

If Theresa May shot herself in the foot, in Andrew Neil's interview this evening Tim Farron managed to shot himself in both feet. Extremely argumentative, doesn't listen and doesn't answer the question. One of the worst politicians of all time.

on flickr
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,664 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
If Theresa May shot herself in the foot, in Andrew Neil's interview this evening Tim Farron managed to shot himself in both feet. Extremely argumentative, doesn't listen and doesn't answer the question. One of the worst politicians of all time.
Yes, agreed. Then there's the religious piety. Can't stand the man. Whatever were the Lib Dems thinking of electing him as leader.
drmarkf (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I suppose only having 9 MPs, they had little choice, but I predict Farron will damage the party with a reduction come June 9th. And what's this about legalising cannabis! Absolutely cuckoo, madness! Nothing I've read would lead you to conclude its a good idea, apart from raising revenue.

on flickr
Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,017 Times in 700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Yes, but if you want to live in a decent society with decent standards you have to pay for it!

Jim
But who is the you here Jim?

Are you planning to pay more tax or do you expect others to pay more tax?

There seem to be plenty of people, including £multimillionaire actors, pop stars and comedians who want others to pay more tax, yet they pay little or no tax themselves owing to their offshore domiciled statuses.

Right now none of the parties appeal to me, and Theresa May certainly doesn't represent my idea of conservatism, but I see the Tories as probably the least worst option.

Jeremy Corbyn's spending proposals are just downright frightening, and I have very real fears about where he plans to get the money from.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 236 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn's spending proposals are just downright frightening, and I have very real fears about where he plans to get the money from.

This is my greatest fear too. OK, I vote Tory so I would say that wouldn't I ? Well not necessarily, I like to think I'm open minded and democratic enough to 'accept' a Labour government but it's current leadership and front bench is so left wing that I have very real fears that we will see a return to the chaos of the 1970's if they succeed in becoming the next government.

Theresa May's mantra has been 'strong and stable', well she's no Margret Thatcher IMO but the bigger issue is .. Jeremy Corbyn is NO Prime Minister. And with the likes of Dianne Abbot and John McDonnell behind him with Len McCluskey holding a gun ( not literally ) to all their heads I can only see one outcome for our country ...... Chaos and bankruptcy.

Here's a thought ....... much of the youth blamed Brexitiers for ruining their future. Yet if they do turn out in numbers and get J.C. over the finishing line they will learn in less than a decade that 'their' protest leader and his cabinet are the real culprits for that.

Simon
Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (3 Weeks Ago), Wally (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 542 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
But who is the you here Jim?

Are you planning to pay more tax or do you expect others to pay more tax?

There seem to be plenty of people, including £multimillionaire actors, pop stars and comedians who want others to pay more tax, yet they pay little or no tax themselves owing to their offshore domiciled statuses.
I'm quite prepared to proportionately pay more tax, if it means that I won't feel so uncomfortable living in a society of food banks, people living on the streets NHS cuts and the many other running sores.

I probably wouldn't pay much more anyway, as I'm asset rich, but cash poor. I own my own house, but live on a modest pension.

I totally agree that tax avoidance loopholes should be closed as a matter of priority.

Jim
Crazy Dave (3 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (3 Weeks Ago), Wally (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I watched the tail end of question time last night and it was interesting to listen to what Nick Clegg said about taxing the top 5%. He said in 5 years in office (2010 to 2015) they struggled to find a way of taxing this group fairly because they, unlike the rest of us, have means of avoiding tax. Labour's spend, spend and spend some more will result in higher borrowing and eventually higher taxes for the rest of us, whilst the top % earners are unaffected in their off shore tax havens.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,024 Times in 435 Posts

As someone in a similar position regards pension / home ownership and still a taxpayer I too don't mind paying some extra tax - within reasonable limits. I'm hoping that what HMRC have recently achieved will be the thin edge of the wedge. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40120027 - but I won't hold my breath.

Gordon Brown, when posing as Chancer of the Exchequer, raised my tax point from 10% to 20%? Then sometime afterwards VAT got raised to 20%. Something else to think about if JC gets his way as any 'freebies' will have to be paid for. Not a pleasant thought as we're basically still paying out for the last big Labour spending spree.

I'm also reasonably sure, that many people in the same finacial boat as myself wonder why it is that those 'within the free society' can't pay towards some of the costs of the 'freebies, ie, free bus travel which, in many cases is abused.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
This is my greatest fear too. OK, I vote Tory so I would say that wouldn't I ? Well not necessarily, I like to think I'm open minded and democratic enough to 'accept' a Labour government but it's current leadership and front bench is so left wing that I have very real fears that we will see a return to the chaos of the 1970's if they succeed in becoming the next government.

Theresa May's mantra has been 'strong and stable', well she's no Margret Thatcher IMO but the bigger issue is .. Jeremy Corbyn is NO Prime Minister. And with the likes of Dianne Abbot and John McDonnell behind him with Len McCluskey holding a gun ( not literally ) to all their heads I can only see one outcome for our country ...... Chaos and bankruptcy.

Here's a thought ....... much of the youth blamed Brexitiers for ruining their future. Yet if they do turn out in numbers and get J.C. over the finishing line they will learn in less than a decade that 'their' protest leader and his cabinet are the real culprits for that.

Simon
I will probably vote Torry, but what troubles me is the bloody minded attitude that no deal will be better than a bad deal, a bad deal I suppose means continuing the customs union and free movement of goods and labour.
I think the options are basically heads we lose, and tails we lose. Whatsmore we could see the breakup of the U.K., and trouble in NI.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 650 Times in 365 Posts

Currently the Department of Work and Pensions has 5 times as many staff working on preventing benefit fraud than HMRC has on preventing/recovering personal tax fraud.

Now consider that the government's own estimate of benefit fraud in the U.K. is £1.3Bn, while personal tax fraud is £32Bn-odd.

That's just a financially ridiculous and immoral way to run a country, and an illustration of the press-led, ideologically driven obsession with demonising those on benefits.

Partly because the benefits system is such a blunt instrument, it has resulted recently in benefits being withdrawn from many who genuinely need them (never mind the 40,000 mobility scooters being taken away from the disabled). This is also financially damaging for the country as a whole because people who, for example, lose their homes also lose jobs (I.e. bad for businesses) and end up qualifying for and claiming more in benefits.

I'm not prepared to support a party that tries to tell me this represents financial or moral competence.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Ricoh (3 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,127 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Her core voter base is older generation and non progressive and yet she seems to think she can withdraw the "triple lock", introduce the "dementia tax" on people's homes and remove winter fuel payments with impunity. Bad politics.
We still have our bus passes?

Harold
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 262 Times in 193 Posts

Ever since I saw family property confiscated by a Labour Government I have not trusted them. I still do not, I am not impressed by any other party so I have to vote for the least worst party.
I also take comfort from the fact that I should not be too impacted by whatever screw ups occur in the Brexit negotiations as I do not expect to survive in to the long term when the Brexit impacts will really hit and impoverish the country.

I recently returned from a short drive round western Europe and i lament the lack of improvement that has occurred in the UK cf Germany.
I also lament the impact of nimbyism in the UK that has prevented essential development of infrastructure to take place.

A plague on all your houses.