Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1st June 2017

Liked 967 Times in 586 Posts
Has Theresa May shot herself in the foot

Not taking part in the leader's debate last night on the one hand, and the apparent U turn on the dementia tax, as it has come to be known.

Ok on point one, I think it was a big mistake for her to send Amber Rudd in her place, but at the heart of it it's the narrative coming from the Conservatives, it's far too weak, repetitive and lacking depth. To be fair, I didn't see Nicloa Krankie either!

On care in old age, I think their plan has substance, in regards that wealthy pensioners do not need the winter fuel allowance, and if and when people require residential care or care in their own homes, it's right that they should pay. People are living longer, and with this individuals are more likely to require care and we can't expect the state to pay. The alternative is to raise income tax/national insurance way beyond what we're currently paying.

on flickr
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 582 Times in 390 Posts
Re: Has Theresa May shot herself in the foot

[quote=Ricoh;415946
Ok on point one, I think it was a big mistake for her to send Amber Rudd in her place[/quote]

As usual 'Newsthump' got it spot on:

http://newsthump.com/blog/

I liked the bit "In hindsight, we should have sent someone a bit more likeable, but, unfortunately, Hitler is dead."

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (2nd June 2017), Internaut (3rd June 2017), Otto (1st June 2017), Shaw (1st June 2017), Zuiko (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 2,924 Times in 1,014 Posts

May is running a terrible campaign. She's managed to reduce a 12% lead to 3% in a matter of weeks. Her core voter base is older generation and non progressive and yet she seems to think she can withdraw the "triple lock", introduce the "dementia tax" on people's homes and remove winter fuel payments with impunity. Bad politics.

Is the policy right though? Means testing of benefits has been shown to demonstrably hit hardest those who are entitled to them - simply because they don't bother to apply or can't handle the form filling. Honestly, for the amount of money that means testing administration costs vs the benefit of reducing the payouts it's just not worth the fight.

On the bigger issue of the cost of social care... the basic truth is that we need to spend more of our GDP on it. I think a civilised society should care for its elderly. Brexit will make us poorer which won't help, but neither will striping older people of their homes at a time when they least want to be stressed by it.

On top of all that, May is just boring and I turn off whenever she talks. The Tory campaign is just soundbites and slurs. Corbyn comes across as much warmer, more personable and passionate.
Bengeo (2nd June 2017), RobEW (2nd June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
May is running a terrible campaign. She's managed to reduce a 12% lead to 3% in a matter of weeks.
I seriously don't think it means a lot.

I believe many people who state that they won't vote for May, do it because they're embarrassed to admit that they in fact will do so.

Jim
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 436 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Has Theresa May shot herself in the foot ?
The woman can't do anything right !

John
Grumpy Hec (4th June 2017), Jim Ford (1st June 2017), Shaw (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts

Yes, frankly. And Amber Rudd came across as the epitome of "the nasty party". I wouldn't like to meet her on a dark night.

Unfortunately I live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country so there's not much I can do to influence the result.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 1,060 Times in 459 Posts

I haven't watched either of these debates, if 'debates' is the correct description from what I've read in some papers?

In essence, JC decides at the very last minute to turn up and then castigates May for not doing so? I would like think, that as PM she has much better things to do than take time off to participate in what apparently turned out to be 'yet another' verbal slanging match.

As for Labour, I'm still awaiting posters of JC saying 'Vote for me, everything’s free' or are they being saved for polling day?

My original post regards the extra 5p still stands and, if it happens that people, 1 in 10 do look to reduce their tax burden, where does all the intended expenditure come from?

No doubt that hard times are here and will remains so for some time to come. Question is will it continue ad-infinitum or pass us by in a few years time after Brexit?

Not too long ago we had a sitrep that went along the lines of… don’t bother looking in the till, it’s all gone. It must be nice to pass one's troubles onto another by way of a poisoned chalice. I'd hate to think we're about to get back on that not so merry-go-round.

Bottom line is, difficult as it will be, we do have to learn to live within our means.

As Zuiko said: There is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone, somewhere, has to foot the bill.

It might not be you but your children and their offspring and like the Ariston advert, when it comes to payment, it goes on, and on, and on...

Just for the record, I don't like either of the main canditates. JC comes over as a con man whereas May comes over as a character in Little Britain.

I guess we'll have to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts

Im surprised someone in another party didnt pounce over May after her IV with Jeremy. May stated that the cap for paying for social care would be quantified by firstly consultation during her u turn.

In the next sentance she said the tasked minister had been working on the policy for two years prior, which suggests two things there wasnt going to be a cap and also over two years what has that minister been doing.

Agree people need to pay towards social care but not lose any monies in their house after their passing. My grandma will be deeply disheartened with that policy as she has saved all her life not for herself but family in the future.

They had my vote until this fiasco. The best I can hope for is a hung parliament.
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 854 Times in 518 Posts

Maybe no parliament at all would be a better option like Ireland?
The more I see of this campaign the less I like any of the parties. None of them seem to be able to put over what seems to be a sensible well thought out argument. Everything has the appearance of being made up the night before. At this performance the Europeans will be rubbing their hands together as they will wipe the floor with us in the Brexit negotiations.
Old 1st June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
The more I see of this campaign the less I like any of the parties.

Yeahbut, I hope the 'Beast of Bolsover' gets in again - I like his style!

;^)

(I noted your location 'Phill D'!)

Jim
Bengeo (2nd June 2017), Harold Gough (2nd June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

More wit:

http://newsthump.com/2017/06/01/ther...for-interview/

Jim
drmarkf (1st June 2017), Zuiko (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

I've decided I am going to vote Tory for no other reason than whoever I have voted for in the past has come last!

I thought Caroline Lucas came across really well, if not the best of all the leaders, and seemed, along with Jeremy Corbyn, to get the most applause, despite her having significantly less air time.

Tim Farron was better than expected, but came across like a cross between a jovial foreman and Renfield out of the Dracula story.

Leanne Wood was a bit disappointing - not as strong as she was in the last election's Leaders' debate.

Angus Robertson came across well.

Paul Nuttall convinced me UKIP are fascists.

Amber Rudd - I expected her to pull out a twig, point it at the others and shout Avada Kedavra.

I am completely ignoring the polls because they are always wrong.

My Flickr

OMD E-M5 Mk II, E-5 and E-510

"A race, a fight or a game can be won but to call something 'the best' in the arts is absurd" Sir Alec Guinness, 28th March 1995
drmarkf (1st June 2017), Zuiko (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

oops duplicate post
Old 1st June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Maybe no parliament at all would be a better option like Ireland?
The more I see of this campaign the less I like any of the parties. None of them seem to be able to put over what seems to be a sensible well thought out argument.
Im in the same boat I dont like any of the parties proposals.

conservatives = issues re social care
labour = no university fees and plenty of other freebies (something must go up tax wise)
lib dems = seem to think they will reverse brexit if needs be
ukip = no real place anymore

They all seem pretty grim prospects so tactful voting maybe the only option to prevent overall majority for conservatives.
Old 1st June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,805 Times in 2,160 Posts
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,581 Posts

Trump, Brexit..... and now the unthinkable is about to happen again. Apparently a couple of bands which I've never heard of but have a huge teenage following have urged their fans to vote Labour. The result has been a huge spike in young people registering to vote.......

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau