Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 16th June 2017
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 19,766
Thanks: 1,852
Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Likes: 2,533
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,581 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
OMG are we finally getting round to the idea that the way us 'Joe Soaps' can display their pics on this Forum, (good, bad, or indifferent), AND does it matter anyway, is finally becoming an issue!!

Sorry but there are very many other Forums where this is not any sort of problem.

Also I find it remarkable that the ratio of members 'viewing', to those posting responses, is so low.
Fair comment, but how many responses have you made to pictures posted on the Forum? And what about Pick Of The Gallery, whish I created in response to your own suggestion?

Just saying........
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16th June 2017
wornish's Avatar
wornish wornish is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 149
Thanked 149 Times in 114 Posts
Likes: 621
Liked 355 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
On the site which hosts my images, a ball-park ratio of comments to viewing for my images is 100 to 1.

Harold
I hope that ratio is the other way round ?

100 views create 1 comment !
__________________
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16th June 2017
PeterBirder's Avatar
PeterBirder PeterBirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BRAINTREE ESSEX
Posts: 5,895
Thanks: 1,757
Thanked 1,017 Times in 849 Posts
Likes: 1,916
Liked 777 Times in 457 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Good point John - but then even more of a concern, surely why don't Guests that view, feel they don't want to Join? As you say there are a lot of them?? And joining is no 'only a click away'
You are reading too much into the statistics.

This is a relatively small community with currently only 334 "Active Members".At the moment there are 18 members and 179 "Guests" on line but this is misleading. I frequently visit the site Home Page without logging in just to see if anything interesting is happening (I've done it several times today) and will then appear as a "Guest". I'm sure other members do the same to a greater or lesser extent so you cannot assume that all the "Guests" who visit are people who visit and never join.

There are other members who have specific interests and rarely visit the home page prefering to go straight to the specific board(s) that interest them thereby missing some content. There are also over 60 separate boards on the site so that will spread the active members a bit more thinly too.
__________________
Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16th June 2017
Wee man's Avatar
Wee man Wee man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle Co. Down N. Ireland
Posts: 7,648
Thanks: 2,369
Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Likes: 281
Liked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

When I post I use the gallery, I log in every day usually via tapatalk.
I usually move on if a photograph is only visable via a link. I do not use any of the photo hosting sites myself and am loath to use or log into them.
The gallery does have its problems but I find it a source were I know all the pictures I have used on this site are stored. A quick run through my albums in the gallery makes it easy to find a shot if I need to use it again. I also have a folder in my libraries with all my sized shots stored if I need them without opening the site.
The number of times I log in run through posts without making comment out weight my log in and make a response times.
I know off late we seem to be having discussions on lots of topics rather than purely camera or photography but I think we all go through this type of pattern.
I visit other sites some I joined and only have commented on a few things on others I visit but have not joined but read a lot. We must have the same.
Only my thoughts.

Ed

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
__________________
Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (17th June 2017), Ross the fiddler (17th June 2017)
  #20  
Old 17th June 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 3,171
Thanks: 41
Thanked 450 Times in 424 Posts
Likes: 26
Liked 1,288 Times in 733 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I hope that ratio is the other way round ?

100 views create 1 comment !
Whoops. I was sure I wasn't making that error. Best to not be so sure. Corrected. Thanks.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 17th June 2017
iso iso is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,194
Thanks: 151
Thanked 80 Times in 76 Posts
Likes: 469
Liked 139 Times in 124 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

John, actually until a few months ago I was an avid 'poster' re photos and other stuff - you can check the stats. However following a bit of a few 'messy, comment-wise encounters', I have backed off. So fair comment. BUT I have to say that again issues about participation are being kicked into the long grass.

PS - If Admin feel that I am being irresponsible in my comments then just tell me to bugger off.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17th June 2017
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 19,766
Thanks: 1,852
Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Likes: 2,533
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,581 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post

PS - If Admin feel that I am being irresponsible in my comments then just tell me to bugger off.
Not at all, we are keen to hear different views and by commenting you at least show you care, but if we don't agree with you we will say so. It's a two way street.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17th June 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NW-UK
Posts: 2,024
Thanks: 430
Thanked 266 Times in 204 Posts
Likes: 362
Liked 439 Times in 239 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Not at all, we are keen to hear different views and by commenting you at least show you care, but if we don't agree with you we will say so. It's a two way street.
I find it impossible to agree or disagree with ISO's comments regarding " participation issues being kicked into the long grass " as I have not the faintest idea what the problem is. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me ?

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (17th June 2017)
  #24  
Old 18th June 2017
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 7,472
Thanks: 1,436
Thanked 1,069 Times in 1,027 Posts
Likes: 3,808
Liked 652 Times in 483 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

I have 2 questions regarding the use of the gallery to store photos...

1) If I change the category of a photo I have uploaded and used in a thread, will the link to the photo in that thread (I typically use inline photo) be broken?

2) When posting a photo in a thread using the "My Pics" box to select a photo, what does the first dropdown that has "directories" as the only entry do? How do you set up to use it?
__________________
Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 21st June 2017
iso iso is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,194
Thanks: 151
Thanked 80 Times in 76 Posts
Likes: 469
Liked 139 Times in 124 Posts
Talking Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I find it impossible to agree or disagree with ISO's comments regarding " participation issues being kicked into the long grass " as I have not the faintest idea what the problem is. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me ?

John
John -

Peter - You know, and a lot of other 'non-picture'-contributors know, that
participation is about easily uploading pics to Threads/Comps/Sticky's.

As it stands the 'GUYS WHO KNOW' appear to dominate threads that include picture content. Not their fault. If it was easier, as it should be, and is on other sites, participation and comments would build.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 21st June 2017
PeterBirder's Avatar
PeterBirder PeterBirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BRAINTREE ESSEX
Posts: 5,895
Thanks: 1,757
Thanked 1,017 Times in 849 Posts
Likes: 1,916
Liked 777 Times in 457 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
John -

Peter - You know, and a lot of other 'non-picture'-contributors know, that
participation is about easily uploading pics to Threads/Comps/Sticky's.

As it stands the 'GUYS WHO KNOW' appear to dominate threads that include picture content. Not their fault. If it was easier, as it should be, and is on other sites, participation and comments would build.
iso.

I am not a "non-picture contributor" and have no problem whatsoever with easily uploading pictures to threads or anything else and never have done.If you look at my gallery you will see I have uploaded over 1,400 pictures every one of which has been included in a thread and have had to request an increase in my gallery space from Ian on several occasions.

You should not make assumptions about why others do or do not post many pictures at a particular time. For your information (not that it is any of your business) I am now 71 and over the last year or so have become the sole 24/7 carer for both my wife, who has a progressive, painful and increasingly mobility limiting condition and my daughter who has learning disabilities. I now sadly have very few opportunities to actually practice my photography hobby but I do take and post photos when possible and have, if you look "participated" in two Photo Challenges and the PhotoTrail. I do what I can in the circumstances and continue to participate in other areas of the site. My total number of posts is 5,623 and my average daily post rate is still 2.06.

I am sure other members will also have reasons for not posting photos and I don't think you should assume that the fact that you seem to be unable to grasp how to upload photos as easily as you would like is the reason that members do not post as many photos as you think they should. I am reminded of the tag line in Naughty Nigel's signature. "difficult is worth doing".

Ian has explained in another thread the reason that the forum gallery software works as it does and that he is investigating alternatives which may or may not be successful.

Regards.
__________________
Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (21st June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), OM USer (22nd June 2017), Wee man (21st June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (21st June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), wornish (22nd June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
  #27  
Old 21st June 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NW-UK
Posts: 2,024
Thanks: 430
Thanked 266 Times in 204 Posts
Likes: 362
Liked 439 Times in 239 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
iso.

I am not a "non-picture contributor" and have no problem whatsoever with easily uploading pictures to threads or anything else and never have done.If you look at my gallery you will see I have uploaded over 1,400 pictures every one of which has been included in a thread and have had to request an increase in my gallery space from Ian on several occasions.

You should not make assumptions about why others do or do not post many pictures at a particular time. For your information (not that it is any of your business) I am now 71 and over the last year or so have become the sole 24/7 carer for both my wife, who has a progressive, painful and increasingly mobility limiting condition and my daughter who has learning disabilities. I now sadly have very few opportunities to actually practice my photography hobby but I do take and post photos when possible and have, if you look "participated" in two Photo Challenges and the PhotoTrail. I do what I can in the circumstances and continue to participate in other areas of the site. My total number of posts is 5,623 and my average daily post rate is still 2.06.

I am sure other members will also have reasons for not posting photos and I don't think you should assume that the fact that you seem to be unable to grasp how to upload photos as easily as you would like is the reason that members do not post as many photos as you think they should. I am reminded of the tag line in Naughty Nigel's signature. "difficult is worth doing".

Ian has explained in another thread the reason that the forum gallery software works as it does and that he is investigating alternatives which may or may not be successful.

Regards.
Congratulations on one of the most measured, well composed and articulate responses I've read in a long time Peter.

Best regards

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnheatingman For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (22nd June 2017), Wee man (22nd June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Harold Gough (22nd June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
  #28  
Old 22nd June 2017
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 19,766
Thanks: 1,852
Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Likes: 2,533
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,581 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
iso.

I am not a "non-picture contributor" and have no problem whatsoever with easily uploading pictures to threads or anything else and never have done.If you look at my gallery you will see I have uploaded over 1,400 pictures every one of which has been included in a thread and have had to request an increase in my gallery space from Ian on several occasions.

You should not make assumptions about why others do or do not post many pictures at a particular time. For your information (not that it is any of your business) I am now 71 and over the last year or so have become the sole 24/7 carer for both my wife, who has a progressive, painful and increasingly mobility limiting condition and my daughter who has learning disabilities. I now sadly have very few opportunities to actually practice my photography hobby but I do take and post photos when possible and have, if you look "participated" in two Photo Challenges and the PhotoTrail. I do what I can in the circumstances and continue to participate in other areas of the site. My total number of posts is 5,623 and my average daily post rate is still 2.06.

I am sure other members will also have reasons for not posting photos and I don't think you should assume that the fact that you seem to be unable to grasp how to upload photos as easily as you would like is the reason that members do not post as many photos as you think they should. I am reminded of the tag line in Naughty Nigel's signature. "difficult is worth doing".

Ian has explained in another thread the reason that the forum gallery software works as it does and that he is investigating alternatives which may or may not be successful.

Regards.
Peter has been a very active poster of pictures for many years and has made a huge and positive contribution to the forum. This may not be recognised by more recent members because, like me, Peter suffers from a number of health issues plus the added responsibility of caring for his family who also have serious conditions. Sadly this severely restricts his opportunities to engage in his hobby but he still manages to post pictures from time to time. Peter lives quite close to me and in the past we have enjoyed a number of photo days together, always posting the results on the forum. I miss those days and am sad that they are no longer possible, but I still value Peter's friendship and his support on this forum.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (22nd June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (22nd June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), OM USer (22nd June 2017)
  #29  
Old 22nd June 2017
Mrs T's Avatar
Mrs T Mrs T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Glos, UK
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 281
Thanked 505 Times in 487 Posts
Likes: 344
Liked 588 Times in 261 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
iso.

I am not a "non-picture contributor" and have no problem whatsoever with easily uploading pictures to threads or anything else and never have done.If you look at my gallery you will see I have uploaded over 1,400 pictures every one of which has been included in a thread and have had to request an increase in my gallery space from Ian on several occasions.

You should not make assumptions about why others do or do not post many pictures at a particular time. For your information (not that it is any of your business) I am now 71 and over the last year or so have become the sole 24/7 carer for both my wife, who has a progressive, painful and increasingly mobility limiting condition and my daughter who has learning disabilities. I now sadly have very few opportunities to actually practice my photography hobby but I do take and post photos when possible and have, if you look "participated" in two Photo Challenges and the PhotoTrail. I do what I can in the circumstances and continue to participate in other areas of the site. My total number of posts is 5,623 and my average daily post rate is still 2.06.

I am sure other members will also have reasons for not posting photos and I don't think you should assume that the fact that you seem to be unable to grasp how to upload photos as easily as you would like is the reason that members do not post as many photos as you think they should. I am reminded of the tag line in Naughty Nigel's signature. "difficult is worth doing".

Ian has explained in another thread the reason that the forum gallery software works as it does and that he is investigating alternatives which may or may not be successful.

Regards.
Well written Peter. I find I might dip in and out of posting and commenting depending on how busy life is. Working full time and other commitments means sometimes there is not enough hours in the day. Even if I don't always post or comment I do try to look and will join in if something catches my eye. Often I just run out of time. I took some pictures in Bristol a few weeks ago and I should have posted them but didn't and then sometimes I think I have left it too long to put them on.

The system might not be "perfect" (which will be different for everybody) but we are still lucky to have it, and it is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs T For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (22nd June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (22nd June 2017), OM USer (22nd June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
  #30  
Old 22nd June 2017
Beagletorque's Avatar
Beagletorque Beagletorque is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: England
Posts: 4,874
Thanks: 919
Thanked 675 Times in 617 Posts
Likes: 1,100
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,020 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

I use an external gallery to host my images (as my gallery space on here has been exhausted) as do others. By using direct linking the images appear whether you are logged in or not. This is possible with Flickr as well as other galleries. Just use the picture icon on your post and paste the direct link in. Google direct linking to find out how easy it could be for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
Missed a Cuba Post? Catch up here!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (22nd June 2017)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Posting Photos Phil Foto Fair 8 28th May 2014 04:55 PM
Uploading/posting photos. David M Site news 30 3rd February 2013 09:04 AM
I'm Posting Again pandora Foto Fair 10 25th October 2012 11:09 AM
Question on posting photos DannyH Looking for improvement 7 8th October 2008 08:01 AM
My first posting showa Foto Fair 8 4th October 2008 11:27 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger