Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,581 Posts
Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
OMG are we finally getting round to the idea that the way us 'Joe Soaps' can display their pics on this Forum, (good, bad, or indifferent), AND does it matter anyway, is finally becoming an issue!!

Sorry but there are very many other Forums where this is not any sort of problem.

Also I find it remarkable that the ratio of members 'viewing', to those posting responses, is so low.
Fair comment, but how many responses have you made to pictures posted on the Forum? And what about Pick Of The Gallery, whish I created in response to your own suggestion?

Just saying........

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th June 2017

Liked 355 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
On the site which hosts my images, a ball-park ratio of comments to viewing for my images is 100 to 1.

Harold
I hope that ratio is the other way round ?

100 views create 1 comment !
Old 16th June 2017

Thanked 1,017 Times in 849 Posts
Liked 777 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Good point John - but then even more of a concern, surely why don't Guests that view, feel they don't want to Join? As you say there are a lot of them?? And joining is no 'only a click away'
You are reading too much into the statistics.

This is a relatively small community with currently only 334 "Active Members".At the moment there are 18 members and 179 "Guests" on line but this is misleading. I frequently visit the site Home Page without logging in just to see if anything interesting is happening (I've done it several times today) and will then appear as a "Guest". I'm sure other members do the same to a greater or lesser extent so you cannot assume that all the "Guests" who visit are people who visit and never join.

There are other members who have specific interests and rarely visit the home page prefering to go straight to the specific board(s) that interest them thereby missing some content. There are also over 60 separate boards on the site so that will spread the active members a bit more thinly too.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 16th June 2017

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts

When I post I use the gallery, I log in every day usually via tapatalk.
I usually move on if a photograph is only visable via a link. I do not use any of the photo hosting sites myself and am loath to use or log into them.
The gallery does have its problems but I find it a source were I know all the pictures I have used on this site are stored. A quick run through my albums in the gallery makes it easy to find a shot if I need to use it again. I also have a folder in my libraries with all my sized shots stored if I need them without opening the site.
The number of times I log in run through posts without making comment out weight my log in and make a response times.
I know off late we seem to be having discussions on lots of topics rather than purely camera or photography but I think we all go through this type of pattern.
I visit other sites some I joined and only have commented on a few things on others I visit but have not joined but read a lot. We must have the same.
Only my thoughts.

Ed

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (17th June 2017), Ross the fiddler (17th June 2017)
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 1,288 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I hope that ratio is the other way round ?

100 views create 1 comment !
Whoops. I was sure I wasn't making that error. Best to not be so sure. Corrected. Thanks.

Harold
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 139 Times in 124 Posts

John, actually until a few months ago I was an avid 'poster' re photos and other stuff - you can check the stats. However following a bit of a few 'messy, comment-wise encounters', I have backed off. So fair comment. BUT I have to say that again issues about participation are being kicked into the long grass.

PS - If Admin feel that I am being irresponsible in my comments then just tell me to bugger off.
Old 17th June 2017
Administrator

Quote:

PS - If Admin feel that I am being irresponsible in my comments then just tell me to bugger off.
Not at all, we are keen to hear different views and by commenting you at least show you care, but if we don't agree with you we will say so. It's a two way street.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th June 2017

Liked 439 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Not at all, we are keen to hear different views and by commenting you at least show you care, but if we don't agree with you we will say so. It's a two way street.
I find it impossible to agree or disagree with ISO's comments regarding " participation issues being kicked into the long grass " as I have not the faintest idea what the problem is. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me ?

John
PeterBirder (17th June 2017)
Old 18th June 2017

Thanked 1,069 Times in 1,027 Posts
Liked 652 Times in 483 Posts

I have 2 questions regarding the use of the gallery to store photos...

1) If I change the category of a photo I have uploaded and used in a thread, will the link to the photo in that thread (I typically use inline photo) be broken?

2) When posting a photo in a thread using the "My Pics" box to select a photo, what does the first dropdown that has "directories" as the only entry do? How do you set up to use it?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 21st June 2017

Liked 139 Times in 124 Posts
Talking Re: Posting Photos On The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I find it impossible to agree or disagree with ISO's comments regarding " participation issues being kicked into the long grass " as I have not the faintest idea what the problem is. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me ?

John
John -

Peter - You know, and a lot of other 'non-picture'-contributors know, that
participation is about easily uploading pics to Threads/Comps/Sticky's.

As it stands the 'GUYS WHO KNOW' appear to dominate threads that include picture content. Not their fault. If it was easier, as it should be, and is on other sites, participation and comments would build.
Old 21st June 2017

Thanked 1,017 Times in 849 Posts
Liked 777 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
John -

Peter - You know, and a lot of other 'non-picture'-contributors know, that
participation is about easily uploading pics to Threads/Comps/Sticky's.

As it stands the 'GUYS WHO KNOW' appear to dominate threads that include picture content. Not their fault. If it was easier, as it should be, and is on other sites, participation and comments would build.
iso.

I am not a "non-picture contributor" and have no problem whatsoever with easily uploading pictures to threads or anything else and never have done.If you look at my gallery you will see I have uploaded over 1,400 pictures every one of which has been included in a thread and have had to request an increase in my gallery space from Ian on several occasions.

You should not make assumptions about why others do or do not post many pictures at a particular time. For your information (not that it is any of your business) I am now 71 and over the last year or so have become the sole 24/7 carer for both my wife, who has a progressive, painful and increasingly mobility limiting condition and my daughter who has learning disabilities. I now sadly have very few opportunities to actually practice my photography hobby but I do take and post photos when possible and have, if you look "participated" in two Photo Challenges and the PhotoTrail. I do what I can in the circumstances and continue to participate in other areas of the site. My total number of posts is 5,623 and my average daily post rate is still 2.06.

I am sure other members will also have reasons for not posting photos and I don't think you should assume that the fact that you seem to be unable to grasp how to upload photos as easily as you would like is the reason that members do not post as many photos as you think they should. I am reminded of the tag line in Naughty Nigel's signature. "difficult is worth doing".

Ian has explained in another thread the reason that the forum gallery software works as it does and that he is investigating alternatives which may or may not be successful.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (21st June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), OM USer (22nd June 2017), Wee man (21st June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
Johnheatingman (21st June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), wornish (22nd June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
Old 21st June 2017

Liked 439 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
iso.

I am not a "non-picture contributor" and have no problem whatsoever with easily uploading pictures to threads or anything else and never have done.If you look at my gallery you will see I have uploaded over 1,400 pictures every one of which has been included in a thread and have had to request an increase in my gallery space from Ian on several occasions.

You should not make assumptions about why others do or do not post many pictures at a particular time. For your information (not that it is any of your business) I am now 71 and over the last year or so have become the sole 24/7 carer for both my wife, who has a progressive, painful and increasingly mobility limiting condition and my daughter who has learning disabilities. I now sadly have very few opportunities to actually practice my photography hobby but I do take and post photos when possible and have, if you look "participated" in two Photo Challenges and the PhotoTrail. I do what I can in the circumstances and continue to participate in other areas of the site. My total number of posts is 5,623 and my average daily post rate is still 2.06.

I am sure other members will also have reasons for not posting photos and I don't think you should assume that the fact that you seem to be unable to grasp how to upload photos as easily as you would like is the reason that members do not post as many photos as you think they should. I am reminded of the tag line in Naughty Nigel's signature. "difficult is worth doing".

Ian has explained in another thread the reason that the forum gallery software works as it does and that he is investigating alternatives which may or may not be successful.

Regards.
Congratulations on one of the most measured, well composed and articulate responses I've read in a long time Peter.

Best regards

John
PeterBirder (22nd June 2017), Wee man (22nd June 2017)
Harold Gough (22nd June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
Old 22nd June 2017
Administrator

Quote:
iso.

Regards.
Peter has been a very active poster of pictures for many years and has made a huge and positive contribution to the forum. This may not be recognised by more recent members because, like me, Peter suffers from a number of health issues plus the added responsibility of caring for his family who also have serious conditions. Sadly this severely restricts his opportunities to engage in his hobby but he still manages to post pictures from time to time. Peter lives quite close to me and in the past we have enjoyed a number of photo days together, always posting the results on the forum. I miss those days and am sad that they are no longer possible, but I still value Peter's friendship and his support on this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (22nd June 2017)
Johnheatingman (22nd June 2017), Naughty Nigel (22nd June 2017), OM USer (22nd June 2017)
Old 22nd June 2017

Liked 588 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
iso.

Regards.
Well written Peter. I find I might dip in and out of posting and commenting depending on how busy life is. Working full time and other commitments means sometimes there is not enough hours in the day. Even if I don't always post or comment I do try to look and will join in if something catches my eye. Often I just run out of time. I took some pictures in Bristol a few weeks ago and I should have posted them but didn't and then sometimes I think I have left it too long to put them on.

The system might not be "perfect" (which will be different for everybody) but we are still lucky to have it, and it is better than nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs T For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (22nd June 2017), OM USer (22nd June 2017), Zuiko (22nd June 2017)
Old 22nd June 2017

Liked 2,702 Times in 1,020 Posts

I use an external gallery to host my images (as my gallery space on here has been exhausted) as do others. By using direct linking the images appear whether you are logged in or not. This is possible with Flickr as well as other galleries. Just use the picture icon on your post and paste the direct link in. Google direct linking to find out how easy it could be for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk