Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23rd November 2007
dlinney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking E-3 Tip: Button Timer

This may be old hat to most of you (I don't know if other models have it) but I found a really, really useful feature tucked away in the menus of the E-3: Button Timer.

I couldn't get used to the having to hold down the ISO, WB or other buttons while also turning the dial to change settings (maybe I'm just cack-handed). Then I found Button Timer which when set, to say 5 seconds, has the effect of "keeping" the button pressed. So you can press and release ISO say and then just turn the dial without having to keep the button depressed.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23rd November 2007
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,410
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinney View Post
This may be old hat to most of you (I don't know if other models have it) but I found a really, really useful feature tucked away in the menus of the E-3: Button Timer.

I couldn't get used to the having to hold down the ISO, WB or other buttons while also turning the dial to change settings (maybe I'm just cack-handed). Then I found Button Timer which when set, to say 5 seconds, has the effect of "keeping" the button pressed. So you can press and release ISO say and then just turn the dial without having to keep the button depressed.
Yes indeed - you may have noticed that the E-3 I brought with me on Tuesday had button timer set to 8 seconds

There are a number of things that can be discovered and there is a massive thread on our other site, Four Thirds User, which discovers lots of things about the E-3:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...read.php?t=666

Another worth looking at is:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...read.php?t=728

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29th November 2007
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinney View Post
This may be old hat to most of you (I don't know if other models have it) but I found a really, really useful feature tucked away in the menus of the E-3: Button Timer.

I couldn't get used to the having to hold down the ISO, WB or other buttons while also turning the dial to change settings (maybe I'm just cack-handed). Then I found Button Timer which when set, to say 5 seconds, has the effect of "keeping" the button pressed. So you can press and release ISO say and then just turn the dial without having to keep the button depressed.
Derek
This tip was very handy. Why Olympus ship the camera expecting one to hold down a button whilst spinning the thumbwheels am at loss to understand. I found it imposible to do. I too have put a 5sec delay on and all of a sudden I find that adjustments are easy. This makes the lack of a rotary mode switch not important any more. All I have to do is get used where the many buttons are. I use the E500 and always seemed to catch the direct buttons whilst taking shots. There is so much room in the right thumb area that I doubt if I will ever have this problem with the E3.
I love the preview facility and te button placement for this is in exactly the right place.

Anyway, thanks again for your tip.

PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30th November 2007
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,349
Thanks: 279
Thanked 315 Times in 280 Posts
Likes: 972
Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

My camera arriving on Monday . I had two calls yesterday selling available stock - DD were first up, Park two hours after.

I will be taking this good advice and setting the button timer as I need all the help I can get!

I am worried about the E3 having two many options and buttons. I will try setting up the two favourite modes as a first step to simplifying.

.. hoping for good autumn weather for all of next week if anyone has any influence on the Met Office here!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30th November 2007
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,410
Thanks: 415
Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Likes: 829
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
My camera arriving on Monday . I had two calls yesterday selling available stock - DD were first up, Park two hours after.

I will be taking this good advice and setting the button timer as I need all the help I can get!

I am worried about the E3 having two many options and buttons. I will try setting up the two favourite modes as a first step to simplifying.

.. hoping for good autumn weather for all of next week if anyone has any influence on the Met Office here!
Autumn?! It's winter now as far as I'm concerned

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30th November 2007
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,349
Thanks: 279
Thanked 315 Times in 280 Posts
Likes: 972
Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Ian

You keep hoping for snow. I'll keep wishing for good Autumn weather.

Some might say we both are deluded.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30th November 2007
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
My camera arriving on Monday . I had two calls yesterday selling available stock - DD were first up, Park two hours after.

I will be taking this good advice and setting the button timer as I need all the help I can get!

I am worried about the E3 having two many options and buttons. I will try setting up the two favourite modes as a first step to simplifying.

.. hoping for good autumn weather for all of next week if anyone has any influence on the Met Office here!
Look on the bright side - ou can test the weatherproofing out for yourself. I shall, going out today but must remember to keep the lens face dry

PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30th November 2007
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,349
Thanks: 279
Thanked 315 Times in 280 Posts
Likes: 972
Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Having told DD I'm out today they agreed to deliver on Monday... and then they sent it today regardless!

Luckily my neighbour was in and accepted it and I have it!

So If I see snow over the weekend Ian I'll be taking a picture!

Or, as I am playing father Christmas at my wife's school fair tomorrow perhaps she'll take pictures of that. What am I saying! No pictures

I'm going to play now.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30th November 2007
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,288
Thanks: 299
Thanked 373 Times in 251 Posts
Likes: 1,133
Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts
Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Having told DD I'm out today they agreed to deliver on Monday... and then they sent it today regardless!

Luckily my neighbour was in and accepted it and I have it!

So If I see snow over the weekend Ian I'll be taking a picture!

Or, as I am playing father Christmas at my wife's school fair tomorrow perhaps she'll take pictures of that. What am I saying! No pictures

I'm going to play now.

Peter
Be bold Peter

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30th November 2007
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,349
Thanks: 279
Thanked 315 Times in 280 Posts
Likes: 972
Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts
Smile Re: E-3 Tip: Button Timer

It depends if there is a battery awarded for the picture!

Peter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger