Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 20th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-Group Forum and Posting Pictures

Hi

I have a couple of questions which I'm going to post in this one thread.

1. Albums - I have created an album from User Control Panel > Networking > Pictures & Albums > A Winter's Day

It can be found here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/album.php?albumid=47

However, when I go my Gallery none of the pictures or the album itself are to be found http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showga...00/ppuser/1062

What am I doing wrong?

2. Compression - In order to post in the album above I exported the photos from Lightroom, specifying the longest side should be 600 pixels and in order to stay below the 99.7kb I set the resolution to 72pixels per inch and the quality of the compression to 30.

The photos in the album have quite bad banding and noise as a result. This is particularly noticeable in this shot http://e-group.uk.net/forum/album.ph...&pictureid=179

What settings should I have used?

3. Exif - How can I view the exif data of photos that people have posted either in the gallery or in threads?

4. Posting photos in foto fair - Based on the above do people usually link to photos in their E-group album, or do they normally embed a link from another website eg flickr in order to get the best quality and accessibility to exif data.

Thanks for your help, David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP

Last edited by David Gethin; 20th December 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added a further question.
Old 20th December 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Re: E-Group Forum and Posting Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gethin View Post
Hi

I have a couple of questions which I'm going to post in this one thread.

1. Albums - I have created an album from User Control Panel > Networking > Pictures & Albums > A Winter's Day

It can be found here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/album.php?albumid=47

However, when I go my Gallery none of the pictures or the album itself are to be found http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showga...00/ppuser/1062

What am I doing wrong?
This is an easy one to answer David, what you have done is this...

vBulletin is the software used to power the e-group www site, and Photopost is the software that is used to drive the gallery on e-group. However, vBulletin also has a basic gallery feature - which is what you have created... i.e. the vBulletin gallery rather than the Photopost gallery. It's a tad confusing, especially since vBulletin introduced the gallery feature in their bb software.

This is why you don't see the gallery in the 'Gallery'... if you see what I mean.

Quote:
2. Compression - In order to post in the album above I exported the photos from Lightroom, specifying the longest side should be 600 pixels and in order to stay below the 99.7kb I set the resolution to 72pixels per inch and the quality of the compression to 30.

The photos in the album have quite bad banding and noise as a result. This is particularly noticeable in this shot http://e-group.uk.net/forum/album.ph...&pictureid=179

What settings should I have used?
The reason your images are so jaggy is because of the amount of compression used. Try setting this to between 60-80.

Quote:
3. Exif - How can I view the exif data of photos that people have posted either in the gallery or in threads?
How you view the EXIF data depends on a fwe things, one of which is the web browser you're using. If you use FireFox, try downloading Exif Viewer - this will then allow you to right click on an image and select View Exif (or similar) from the menu.

Quote:
4. Posting photos in foto fair - Based on the above do people usually link to photos in their E-group album, or do they normally embed a link from another website eg flickr in order to get the best quality and accessibility to exif data.

Thanks for your help, David
I don't often post my pics in the gallery on here, as I host my own images on my own www site. I usually link them from there.

Hope this helps.

Old 20th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks John, all is explained.

Maybe an admin would like to post that on the FAQ as it was from there that I posted to the 'gallery' rather than the 'Gallery'

I will try adjusting the compression on the photos that I will now add to the Gallery.

I currently use IE - is there an EXIF viewer available for that or have I finally found a compelling reason to switch browsers?

Thanks again, David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
Old 20th December 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I'm afraid I don't use Explorer - never will... I'm a Mac user

I am not sure about the latest version of IE, I'm sure it's good, but the latest version of Firefox is very good too. Why not try it...?

I'll ask an admin to update the FAQ...

Question to theMusicMan:... "can you see if you can sort this suggestion by David for me please...?"

Answer from theMusicMan:... "OK, I'll take a look sometime..."

Old 20th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The best conversations are always had with myself I find.

And I would agree with that.

flickr - Photo52 2011
Old 20th December 2009
gno

David,

You might be interested in KUSO Exif viewer a great little bit of software that works well in Iinternet Explorer 8, in much the same way as the Firefox plugin by right clicking.

Regards

Gavin

Tags
album, compression, exif, gallery