Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: My photo on front page of Olympus' website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
MISCELLANEOUS RULES

• Should you win a prize, you may be requested to participate in any post-competition publicity that we may require.
  • By entering the competition, you will retain full ownership of your submission, however you do consent that Olympus can use your images, unedited, in promotional activity for the Olympus Impressions campaign.
  • You also consent to your image being shared via Olympus social media channels.
  • Olympus and its partners exclude all liability under these terms, in contract or delict (including negligence) for any loss, damage, costs and/or expenses, loss of profits, goodwill, consequential, indirect or special losses, howsoever caused in connection with the competition.
  • This competition is promoted by Yomego on behalf of Olympus. Please contact info@olympus-impressions.com if you have any questions or comments on the competition.
  • We reserve the right to change the terms and conditions at any point in time.
  • By entering the Competition, all entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
Each month a winning submission will be selected by the Olympus judging panel.
The winner will receive an Olympus camera from a shortlist of available camera sets.
yes Mark - but as Ashley has explained above he didn't enter the image in the competition but posted it to their Facebook page (which nominally brings it under Facebook's T&Cs in the absence of any specific ones by Olympus UK/FB.......

I'm sure they will take it down and apologise to him for the misunderstanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
Bangonthedoortwice (5th December 2013)
Old 5th December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,227 Posts
Liked 1,635 Times in 730 Posts

OK - I have flagged this and hope to get a response tomorrow.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (6th December 2013)
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
OK - I have flagged this and hope to get a response tomorrow.

Ian
Good luck Ian

I hope you get a better response than Shirley got
Old 5th December 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome! Great capture,
The Following User Says Thank You to dr_shiva29 For This Useful Post:
Bangonthedoortwice (6th December 2013)
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Subscribing to this, I want to know how it works out in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangonthedoortwice View Post
I feel robbed.
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Heard nothing as yet. Am I in the wrong here or do you think I am right in thinking whats happened is a little bad?
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts

Before we all go off at 90mph daggers drawn, lances lowered and senses switched off, would you mind if did a little checking on this - see if it is a mistake, deliberate or otherwise?

The people running this for us are a big social media agency with a project to bring more engagement and encourage more people to take part in sharing great images so it will be annoying if they have missed due process but perhaps it is only fair to see if we can get an explanation.

We would be mad to do this just to upset everyone. Why on earth do you think we would? I am afraid some of the attitudes on here make me seriously consider whether it is worth supporting the forum any more because believe it or not, we pay for this and I do not mind healthy debate or being told (politely) when we get things wrong but in proportion for goodness sake.

It winds me up when people jump in without stopping to think or giving us a chance to look into things.

Let's find out the facts and then discuss if necessary. If we/they have it wrong, we will deal with it. I have raised it with the agency and will look for a reply on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
Simply disgraceful behaviour.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Thackara For This Useful Post:
Iansky (9th December 2013), Mrs T (9th December 2013), Ulfric M Douglas (7th December 2013), Zuiko (6th December 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (6th December 2013)
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 1,410 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thackara View Post
Before we all go off at 90mph daggers drawn, lances lowered and senses switched off, would you mind if did a little checking on this - see if it is a mistake, deliberate or otherwise?

The people running this for us are a big social media agency with a project to bring more engagement and encourage more people to take part in sharing great images so it will be annoying if they have missed due process but perhaps it is only fair to see if we can get an explanation.

We would be mad to do this just to upset everyone. Why on earth do you think we would? I am afraid some of the attitudes on here make me seriously consider whether it is worth supporting the forum any more because believe it or not, we pay for this and I do not mind healthy debate or being told (politely) when we get things wrong but in proportion for goodness sake.

It winds me up when people jump in without stopping to think or giving us a chance to look into things.

Let's find out the facts and then discuss if necessary. If we/they have it wrong, we will deal with it. I have raised it with the agency and will look for a reply on Monday.
Mark,

Hard as it probably is, please don't let this get to you.

I can assure you that your support, efforts and assistance are truly appreciated, it would be a sad day if you stopped supporting and contributing to this forum.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Iansky (9th December 2013), Zuiko (6th December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (6th December 2013), Jim Ford (6th December 2013), PeterBirder (6th December 2013), StephenL (6th December 2013)
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Thanks Mark, a response from an Olympus rep the day after the thread was started : that's great going and a far cry from other forums.
Let's get is sorted out happily, which I'm sure will happen now all parties can communicate with each other.

(The blatant forum closure threat was odd.)
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thackara View Post

It winds me up when people jump in without stopping to think or giving us a chance to look into things
Steady on, threatening to close the forum because Olympus did something wrong is a little flippant, that would be like me threatening to seek legal action because of what happened.

I'm a regular contributor to Olympus, an advocate who has been featured in the Olympus magazine a few times so I'm not someone who wants to be on bad terms because of this. This matter of using my image before my terms were agreed is wrong, illegal and not respectful at all to me as a photographer.
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

Not very happy with the tone of Mark / Olympus' response. Sounds like he's drawing daggers.

I'm afraid the attitude of Olympus representatives makes me seriously consider whether it is worth supporting the Olympus brand by my continued use of their products.

Pipe, smoke, insert other words as appropriate :-) Sorry that you consider closing this community an appropriate sanction.

- Kami !
Roy Clarke (7th December 2013)
Old 7th December 2013

Actually, it amounts to bullying. "Keep your mouths quiet or else I'll close your mouths for you".
The Following User Says Thank You to Kami For This Useful Post:
Bangonthedoortwice (7th December 2013)
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Mark is not making threats, but is asking for the opportunity to investigate what has happened. Wanting to understand the facts and correct a problem that may or may not have happened. To be quite honest I would be over the moon for Olympus to use one of my photos.
Old 7th December 2013

"I am afraid some of the attitudes on here make me seriously consider whether it is worth supporting the forum any more because believe it or not, we pay for this"

... sounds like a threat to me, but I'm happy to discuss my interpretation :-)
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangonthedoortwice View Post
Steady on, threatening to close the forum because Olympus did something wrong is a little flippant, that would be like me threatening to seek legal action because of what happened.

I'm a regular contributor to Olympus, an advocate who has been featured in the Olympus magazine a few times so I'm not someone who wants to be on bad terms because of this. This matter of using my image before my terms were agreed is wrong, illegal and not respectful at all to me as a photographer.
I didn't interpret that part of Mark's post to be directed at you at all - re-inforced by both the post quoted and the specific wording of that sentence.
Closed Thread

Tags
competition, impressions, nocturnal, olympus