Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd January 2008
OlyFlyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
e-group UK forum terms and conditions

I am sorry if I am the kill joy again, but one of the members has just pointed me to the terms and conditions of the forum.

Quote:
When posting images to the forum, your image may be downloaded and edited and/or enhanced by another forum user for re-posting in the interests of topical forum debate. This evolution of forum practice has worked well, so if you prefer that your images not be changed and reposted, you must clearly state this in your original posting.
That happaned because I complained about downloading, editing and re-posting one of my images. To me, it is wrong if that is allowed by default, and I, the original photographer and the copyright owner must state specifically if I don't want that. I don't want to use the word 'artist' but I do anyway. Now, do you all consider it is OK to do that with your images without being asked for in advance? Aren't you the artist, the one who decides if you want your image altered in any way? Or is that so that like me, and this member, the terms were not known before, because, honestly, not everybody reads everything in advance. I am sure namely, that the terms were not known to this member, until after several message postings, and possibly some help from somebody else in this matter, who pointed him to the terms.

IMO, if an image is posted, it is everybodies freedom to critisize that image in any way verbally, but to edit an image unless it is asked for is wrong, way out of line, regardless how well meant that is, and I should not have to be one who needs to state that every time I post an image. Only I, the 'artist' have the right to decide what is and what is not an enhancement of my image. I am however always ready to listen to any critical words about my images. I thougth that was very clear here, since this is a photo forum. Apparently, I was mistaken.

OK, enough ranting for today. I will carefully reconsider posting images next time (if there will be a next time), and I am very sad that this behavoir is considered OK on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23rd January 2008
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 3,291
Thanks: 185
Thanked 306 Times in 188 Posts
Likes: 469
Liked 341 Times in 143 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
I am sorry if I am the kill joy again, but one of the members has just pointed me to the terms and conditions of the forum.



That happaned because I complained about downloading, editing and re-posting one of my images. To me, it is wrong if that is allowed by default, and I, the original photographer and the copyright owner must state specifically if I don't want that. I don't want to use the word 'artist' but I do anyway. Now, do you all consider it is OK to do that with your images without being asked for in advance? Aren't you the artist, the one who decides if you want your image altered in any way? Or is that so that like me, and this member, the terms were not known before, because, honestly, not everybody reads everything in advance. I am sure namely, that the terms were not known to this member, until after several message postings, and possibly some help from somebody else in this matter, who pointed him to the terms.

IMO, if an image is posted, it is everybodies freedom to critisize that image in any way verbally, but to edit an image unless it is asked for is wrong, way out of line, regardless how well meant that is, and I should not have to be one who needs to state that every time I post an image. Only I, the 'artist' have the right to decide what is and what is not an enhancement of my image. I am however always ready to listen to any critical words about my images. I thougth that was very clear here, since this is a photo forum. Apparently, I was mistaken.

OK, enough ranting for today. I will carefully reconsider posting images next time (if there will be a next time), and I am very sad that this behavoir is considered OK on this forum.
If my living was made as a photograher and I posted on any site I would obviously look at the terms and conditions and if they didn't suit wouldn't post. If one embedded a copyright symbol onto the pic how would it affect one's rights?

For me personally, I would be flattered to think my picture was worthy of being used and all I would ask that my name be that of the taker.

I do understand though OlyFlyer the point you are making.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd January 2008
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 10,229
Thanks: 344
Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,067 Posts
Likes: 575
Liked 1,019 Times in 493 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

I understand the concern here, but the terms and conditions are quite clear and I believe that the benefits are tangible. BUT, it's always best if you ask permission before altering someone else's picture. I will update the T&C to require permission to be sought from the photographer - at least to clarify if that photographer is happy for his or her photographs to be altered as a matter of course here on the the forum.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd January 2008
Scapula Memory's Avatar
Scapula Memory Scapula Memory is offline
It`s an anagram
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
I am sorry if I am the kill joy again, but one of the members has just pointed me to the terms and conditions of the forum.



That happaned because I complained about downloading, editing and re-posting one of my images. To me, it is wrong if that is allowed by default, and I, the original photographer and the copyright owner must state specifically if I don't want that. I don't want to use the word 'artist' but I do anyway. Now, do you all consider it is OK to do that with your images without being asked for in advance? Aren't you the artist, the one who decides if you want your image altered in any way? Or is that so that like me, and this member, the terms were not known before, because, honestly, not everybody reads everything in advance. I am sure namely, that the terms were not known to this member, until after several message postings, and possibly some help from somebody else in this matter, who pointed him to the terms.

IMO, if an image is posted, it is everybodies freedom to critisize that image in any way verbally, but to edit an image unless it is asked for is wrong, way out of line, regardless how well meant that is, and I should not have to be one who needs to state that every time I post an image. Only I, the 'artist' have the right to decide what is and what is not an enhancement of my image. I am however always ready to listen to any critical words about my images. I thougth that was very clear here, since this is a photo forum. Apparently, I was mistaken.

OK, enough ranting for today. I will carefully reconsider posting images next time (if there will be a next time), and I am very sad that this behavoir is considered OK on this forum.
What might be helpful here is if Ian changes the default setting for image edit to " no " meaning that the user would have to give permission on request to allow another user to edit the image. This would certainly remove the surprise of having ones images edited without you realising that can be done. I think that would remove the confusion you have experienced.

On another note however I think the T&Cs here are very clear and easy to understand. It can be solidly argued that it is your responsibility to read them as you would have ticked a box in the set up process that says you agree to the terms here. You must have ticked that box to agree to these terms. As a user of any forum or web site I always look at the terms and conditions thoroughly and most definately the privacy policy and have sometimes disagreed with them for whatever reason and chosen not to continue. You say yourself that no one reads things right through but there are many others that do.

Having said that I cannot imagine users on here altering images in any other way other than for the purpose of helping others. I think this is a very useful facility to have and I myself have benefitted from this.

John

PS: Looks like Ian has seen this already.

Last edited by Scapula Memory; 23rd January 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: PS remark
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd January 2008
E-P1 fan's Avatar
E-P1 fan E-P1 fan is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mount Olympus
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 33
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
Having said that I cannot imagine users on here altering images in any other way other than for the purpose of helping others. I think this is a very useful facility to have and I myself have benefitted from this. John
I agree I'd hate this to be adversley affected. If anyone is really precious about any specific images - don't post them.
This is an amateur forum isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd January 2008
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
What might be helpful here is if Ian changes the default setting for image edit to " no " meaning that the user would have to give permission on request to allow another user to edit the image. This would certainly remove the surprise of having ones images edited without you realising that can be done. I think that would remove the confusion you have experienced.

On another note however I think the T&Cs here are very clear and easy to understand. It can be solidly argued that it is your responsibility to read them as you would have ticked a box in the set up process that says you agree to the terms here. You must have ticked that box to agree to these terms. As a user of any forum or web site I always look at the terms and conditions thoroughly and most definately the privacy policy and have sometimes disagreed with them for whatever reason and chosen not to continue. You say yourself that no one reads things right through but there are many others that do.

Having said that I cannot imagine users on here altering images in any other way other than for the purpose of helping others. I think this is a very useful facility to have and I myself have benefitted from this.

John
Hi John/OlyFlyer

I think that images posted here should remain the property of the originator whilst also agreeing with you John that changes to images up to now have been done with care and with the sole intention of helping the originator. We should retain this flexibility.

By default, no changes should be allowed but permission to alter/improve images should be requested by PM to the originator. Thats a matter of courtesy. A means to allow editing should then be available, to the originator, to allow the nominated registered user to make changes. When re posted, the modified image should bear the names of the originator and the editor. I woud hope that by this means we can retain the flexibility but protect any potential malicious or unauthorised editing in the future. Each one of us has a unique handle and therefore this should allow such a change to be implemented.

What do you think?

Kind regards

PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd January 2008
OlyFlyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

First, I must say, somehow I agree with you all.

It may not a big deal, but I think it is bad habit to regard everything on the internet as freeware. Editing an image may be necessary to show something which is difficult to explain, which was not the case in the incident. The words used explained well the points that were critisised, even if I may not agree, but I well understood. So, as I see it, there was absolutely no need.

Regardless of which, I think it should be the opposite way, editing is by default prohibited unless it is asked for or permission is granted by the photographer.

I disagree with the comment that this is an amateur forum, because it has nothing to do with if you are an amateur or a pro. As a matter of fact, I have written a few articles in a Swedish aviation magazine a few years back (the magazine does not exist any more) and every time I sent in some material I had to sign an agreement that the illustrations are mine, or I have permission to use them. Until I produced that, the magazine would not print, regardless of how obvious it was that I would be the copyright owner or that I would have the permission. So, even if my images were printed, I am still an amateur because I feed my family using money I earn mainly through other type of work, not photography or writing. Now I am 'working' on another project, and when that is finished, I will still be an amateur, in fact, I have taken a decision about 30 years ago never to become a pro photographer, but that is a different story.

I also agree that the T&C is clear and easyly understood, but understandig it was not the problem. I admit, I didn't read it, because for such a basic thing, I assumed it would be the other way round, not the way it says in the T&C. When the T&C was pointed out to me, I apologized to the member, since he was following the rules (probably not knowing he was, but anyhow...), and I was stupid not reading the T&C before posting my images. To sum up the whole story, it was totally my fault, I neglected reading the T&C.

What I would wonder, how many can honestly state they read every word of it, and all the other conditions and rules? I am however very glad if the T&C is getting an update in this regard. It is easier to do that while the forum is still small.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd January 2008
theMusicMan's Avatar
theMusicMan theMusicMan is offline
E-3 Enthusiast....:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 5,859
Thanks: 145
Thanked 266 Times in 178 Posts
Likes: 8
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Ian - can I make a suggestion here please. How about adding a custom field (checkbox yes/no) to the profile page (postbit_legacy template) that is default to no that a user sets in their profile settings - this field is the indication of if a user wants their images to be amended or not?

OK, it is a 'for all' images, but if the default is no, then a user can set to yes if they don't mind generally, but state in the post that this one shouldn't. Or, they leave as set to 'no' and state in the post that they don't mind for this particular image.

Win-Win then...
__________________
John

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23rd January 2008
OlyFlyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Ian - can I make a suggestion here please. How about adding a custom field (checkbox yes/no) to the profile page (postbit_legacy template) that is default to no that a user sets in their profile settings - this field is the indication of if a user wants their images to be amended or not?

OK, it is a 'for all' images, but if the default is no, then a user can set to yes if they don't mind generally, but state in the post that this one shouldn't. Or, they leave as set to 'no' and state in the post that they don't mind for this particular image.

Win-Win then...
Good idea, but the T&C must even in that case be changed to prevent contradiction.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23rd January 2008
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 6,940
Thanks: 556
Thanked 829 Times in 626 Posts
Likes: 1,821
Liked 1,124 Times in 675 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

I am the one that had to point out the Ts&Cs, which I had read when I first joined the group. They are very clear and the particular rule provides a simply and very effective way of conveying thoughts. (Picture vs 1000 words etc...)

I strongly believe they should NOT be changed, they are the rules and anyone not likeing them should not use the forums. However if as suggested the system can be enhanced to provide a Tick Box ("do not edit this picture", which by default should be set in line with the existing rules), then everyone should be satisfied.

If anyone took the time and trouble to edit one of my images and give constructive comments, I'd be only to gratefull to them, in the same way as I respect the opinions of judges who I present my work to. I may not always agree but that is the condition which we accept when entering competitions and Forums such as this...

Hopefully this "debate" will serve to enlighten members to the "Rules" and we can continue to use the forum as it was intended to be used, without further distraction or upsetting peoples sensibilities...

Regards to all

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23rd January 2008
E-P1 fan's Avatar
E-P1 fan E-P1 fan is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mount Olympus
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 33
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I am the one that had to point out the Ts&Cs, which I had read when I first joined the group. They are very clear and the particular rule provides a simply and very effective way of conveying thoughts. (Picture vs 1000 words etc...)

I strongly believe they should NOT be changed, they are the rules and anyone not likeing them should not use the forums. However if as suggested the system can be enhanced to provide a Tick Box ("do not edit this picture", which by default should be set in line with the existing rules), then everyone should be satisfied.

If anyone took the time and trouble to edit one of my images and give constructive comments, I'd be only to gratefull to them, in the same way as I respect the opinions of judges who I present my work to. I may not always agree but that is the condition which we accept when entering competitions and Forums such as this...

Hopefully this "debate" will serve to enlighten members to the "Rules" and we can continue to use the forum as it was intended to be used, without further distraction or upsetting peoples sensibilities...

Regards to all

Graham
Well said Graham. I reckon it's an over-reaction too
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23rd January 2008
OlyFlyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I am the one that had to point out the Ts&Cs, which I had read when I first joined the group. They are very clear and the particular rule provides a simply and very effective way of conveying thoughts. (Picture vs 1000 words etc...)

I strongly believe they should NOT be changed, they are the rules and anyone not likeing them should not use the forums. However if as suggested the system can be enhanced to provide a Tick Box ("do not edit this picture", which by default should be set in line with the existing rules), then everyone should be satisfied.

If anyone took the time and trouble to edit one of my images and give constructive comments, I'd be only to gratefull to them, in the same way as I respect the opinions of judges who I present my work to. I may not always agree but that is the condition which we accept when entering competitions and Forums such as this...

Hopefully this "debate" will serve to enlighten members to the "Rules" and we can continue to use the forum as it was intended to be used, without further distraction or upsetting peoples sensibilities...

Regards to all

Graham
Well, what can I say, I'd have expected you to strongly disagree with me, if nothing else, just as a matter of principle...

Good that we have at least one member here who is free of faults and honest about having read the T&C. I am not that perfect, as I already admitted. Had you pointed me to the T&C in your first PM to me as an answer to my own PM to you, than maybe it would not have gone so far and would have believed you actually knew it was OK according to forum's T&C. I wonder why I doubt you knew that from the start, regardless of what you say now afterwords...

Anyway, the problem is that it can NEVER be wrong to ask for permission, but it CAN be wrong to not to and assume everybody os happy with that. Regardless if I was the stupid part (according to you) or not.

In my answer to you, I did thank you for your comments, so you are a bit unfair here, publicly claiming I was not thankful. You can hoewever NEVER claim that your comments weight more than my own, or somebody elses judgment on how MY image should look like, or should be crippled, even if you regard it as constructive criticism. To demand greatfulness is definitely going too far. I appreciate the time people are taking here, and every other forum where I am active, but as far as I see it, I have absolutely nothing to be greatful for. I regard my own contributions to more than well balance other peoples, maybe with you as an exception.

Personally, I think it's a shame that you posted your message on this thread because it makes it look like a fight between you and me. It is not about that at all. If I wanted to make it personal, I wouldn't have removed my answer to you from the actual post and image I was refering to, so other people could pass judgement on better base and could discuss differently.

My guess is that if this attitude is allowed here, not many people will post images, because, generally, I am 100% sure that most people don't appreciate that kind of 'helpful advice', even if they don't say it out loud, like I do it here. It shows a lack of respect for other peoples work and property, regardless of how worthless you regard that property is, because however you see it, the so called work you spent on my image was nothing comparable to the work and time I spend on them. A few quick moves is not what I call constructive criticism, what is constractive criticism is the comments I read on my other thread with the Tower bridge image, that is a good example of that. The problem is, I wasted too much time on your criticism to thank those people and answer them. Please, pay a visit there and read the comments, so you'll learn about how to give feed back and how to critisize using words.

The "Picture vs 1000 words etc..." is just bull. Some things are better expressed using words and considering your native language is English, that should be easier for you than for me. I agree, it has become an overreaction, thanks to your contribution, and the blame it on others attitude. For me it was just a question of what people consider here is OK. So far, you are the only one I see who clearly say you are agains ANY change in the way things are in the T&C. What a surprise...

Yes, some don't care, but I guess the majority would like it the other way round, of course, this is just my guess. Why is it so difficult to ask first? That's the way I was brought up. Ask before take anything.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24th January 2008
Ellie Ellie is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW Hants, UK
Posts: 2,382
Thanks: 62
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
I understand the concern here, but the terms and conditions are quite clear and I believe that the benefits are tangible. BUT, it's always best if you ask permission before altering someone else's picture. I will update the T&C to require permission to be sought from the photographer - at least to clarify if that photographer is happy for his or her photographs to be altered as a matter of course here on the the forum.
I thought I'd read the T&C carefully when I joined, but I must admit I didn't notice this.

I'd sort of thought there might be software that wouldn't let pictures be downloaded, because there's so much stuff about people taking pictures and using them somewhere else, being able to right click on any picture site is open to abuse. Mind you, I don't know if I'd be annoyed or pleased if it happened to something of mine, I think it would depend how and where it was used.

I've posted pictures on other sites, nobody has ever downloaded and edited them without asking first, in fact they've always asked if I'd send them a copy by email. I hadn't imagined anybody would do it without asking beforehand. So I suppose it puts me in the "No, not unless you ask first" camp.

I know I haven't been here very long, so perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24th January 2008
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I thought I'd read the T&C carefully when I joined, but I must admit I didn't notice this.

I'd sort of thought there might be software that wouldn't let pictures be downloaded, because there's so much stuff about people taking pictures and using them somewhere else, being able to right click on any picture site is open to abuse. Mind you, I don't know if I'd be annoyed or pleased if it happened to something of mine, I think it would depend how and where it was used.

I've posted pictures on other sites, nobody has ever downloaded and edited them without asking first, in fact they've always asked if I'd send them a copy by email. I hadn't imagined anybody would do it without asking beforehand. So I suppose it puts me in the "No, not unless you ask first" camp.

I know I haven't been here very long, so perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.
Ellie,

You have every right to give your opinion and thank you for it. As you will see in my earlier post I agree with you too.

Kind regards

PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24th January 2008
Nick Temple-Fry's Avatar
Nick Temple-Fry Nick Temple-Fry is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 191 Times in 143 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: e-group UK forum terms and conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I thought I'd read the T&C carefully when I joined, but I must admit I didn't notice this.

I'd sort of thought there might be software that wouldn't let pictures be downloaded, because there's so much stuff about people taking pictures and using them somewhere else, being able to right click on any picture site is open to abuse. Mind you, I don't know if I'd be annoyed or pleased if it happened to something of mine, I think it would depend how and where it was used.

I've posted pictures on other sites, nobody has ever downloaded and edited them without asking first, in fact they've always asked if I'd send them a copy by email. I hadn't imagined anybody would do it without asking beforehand. So I suppose it puts me in the "No, not unless you ask first" camp.

I know I haven't been here very long, so perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.
If you post on the internet then there is no guarantee that the image will not be 'stolen'; right-click protection is little more than a convention amongst software writers, certainly it is easy to circumvent.

But all they are stealing is a web-sized copy of your original photograph, something you've already made public to the whole world by putting on the internet. They might be able to make a passable A4 print, but not a proper photograph.

Please don't let this put you off from posting to the web, there is very little sadder than a photograph scared to be shared.
__________________
Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd E Group Photo Challenge ndl0071 Photo challenges 5 28th January 2008 08:36 PM
1st E-Group Challenge - the results are in!! theMusicMan Photo challenges 4 21st January 2008 11:23 AM
1st E-Group Challenge - Voting here!! theMusicMan Photo challenges 7 20th January 2008 03:45 PM
The very first EGC: e-group challenge theMusicMan Photo challenges 2 13th January 2008 04:52 PM
Custom avatars on the forum Ian Site news 0 28th November 2007 09:09 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger