Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th August 2008
Chillimonster

Ever Regret Selling something??

As some of you may (or may not) know i have been asked to be the official 'tog for the local swimming team and by a neighbour who manages a few up and coming boxers .

One of the stipulations at the swimming was that there should be little or no flash photography. I attended a few events and to be honest the E-3 just was not working for me. I dont know if it was camera envy or not (one of the other 'togs on site was using a D3), but i just was not getting the results i envisaged from the E-3 and 12-60 / 50-200 combos. The boxing was not as bad as it was lighter and some flash was acceptable.

Anyway to cut a long story short i sold the E-3 and the lenses to make way for the Nikon D700 and lenses. The money arrived in my bank and for some reason i just could not hit the [BUY] button on the Nikon gear! I asked the other tog for a further 'test' of his D3 and mentioned my dilema. He had a contact that would be willing to let me test some exotic Oly glass against the Nikon equivalent, and a date was set.

A sided by side comparison was enlightening. Yes the ISO performance of the D3 (and therefore D700) was exceptional...... BUT the lenses just seemed 'soft' and needed to be stopped down a couple of stops to get the edge sharpness and DOF i had with the Oly glass wide open, thus eliminating some of the ISO advantage. Next up was the Oly with the 150mm F2 and the 35-100 F2. WOW..... I was smitten. The DOF at F2 was the same as F5.6 - 6.4 ish on the Nikon and the edge sharpness wide open was astonishing in comparison.

Other differences rose their head such as instant spot metering on the E-3, and mutliple personalities via the custom reset functions and My Mode functions. The positives of the Oly E-3 were outweighing the negatives.

After much soul searching and many many PMs with John (theMusicMan...... thanks John for being so level-headed and indipendant about it all) the decision was made and the 35-100 F2 is on its way to me (as is a new E-3, Grip and FL50-R).

I am away for the next two weeks in North Wales with the family, but as soon as i am back it has its first proper 'outing'

So to all who are considering the D700 - its truly is an awesome machine, providing the positives outweight the negatives FOR YOU. For me they did not so i stayed where i feel at home, in Oly E-system land.

Thanks for listening (reading) my ramble.

Chris
Old 14th August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ever Regret Selling something??

That's a very interesting post Chris.

I was seriously thinking of going 5D a while back, but after a lot of thought came to the conclusion that - for my purposes - 4/3rds was a better solution, and I should continue to aspire to an E3 as soon as I can afford it. It's the glass that does it... I doubt if I will ever realistically aspire to the 150 and the 35-100, but I do have the 7-14 and the 11-22 and what they do suits me nicely. Not to mention in-body IS...
Old 14th August 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,064 Times in 2,382 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts

It never does any harm to see what other brands have to offer and I, too, would have no hesitation in jumping ship if I thought my photography would benefit from another system - provided I could afford it, of course!

The problem is the lack of opportunity to test rival systems side by side and to some extent we have to rely on, like 'em or loathe 'em, magazine reviews. I guess the trick is learning to see beyond the hype and read between the lines to establish what praise or critisism of the camera being tested is relevant to our own personal photography!

For me, at the moment, Olympus remains the best option but I fully appreciate that others may favour Canon, Nikon or whatever!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th August 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,522 Times in 865 Posts

I guess I've been spoilt rotten over the years, buy having access to the top of the range Nikon Lenses and have been able to compare them against my own Zuiko lenses.

One of our best photographers was of a similar mind, we would spend a small fortune on a long, fast Nikon lens and then have difficulty seeing the difference in the final prints.

One of the best systems we put together was Nikon Lens and Fuji body. It worked better and more consistently than most everything else.

Yet despite all this several of us still spent our own hard earned on Olympus kit. In simple terms when it came to Value for Money, the Oly systems won.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th August 2008

Liked 1,268 Times in 491 Posts

Interesting observations Chris:

I own up to having been a Nikon film shooter for may years, I've used a variety of consumer and semi pro nikon lenses . I can say that while Olympus kit lenses are remarkably good... their semi pro stuff is simply exceptional! (The 11-22 and the 50mm macro for example) I have no experience how good the full pro lenses are - but I assume they are even better ...

Thus (as ever) its the glass that makes Olympus special. For me its a moot point if Olympus camera bodies match the quality of their glass - currently I don't find the camera body to be a limiting factor in what I shoot. As for the lenses - they are certainly not the limiting factor

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th August 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Welcome back to the fold young padawan and glad to see you did not fall to the lure of the darkside

Interesting post Chilli and one question?

Apart from DOF sharpness, how did you find the image from the Nikons compare to the Olympus?

The reason I ask is that I was tempted to get a D200 when they came out, but looking at images on the web, and also seeing some from a friends camera, I found the Nikon images to be "cold". Cool skin tones and cool landscape images. Where as the Olympus (I was using the E20 at the time) was much warmer and the skin tones more pleasing.
The Nikon D300 and D3, appear to me, to have the same kind of cool cast to them

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 15th August 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
Welcome back to the fold young padawan and glad to see you did not fall to the lure of the darkside

Interesting post Chilli and one question?

Apart from DOF sharpness, how did you find the image from the Nikons compare to the Olympus?

The reason I ask is that I was tempted to get a D200 when they came out, but looking at images on the web, and also seeing some from a friends camera, I found the Nikon images to be "cold". Cool skin tones and cool landscape images. Where as the Olympus (I was using the E20 at the time) was much warmer and the skin tones more pleasing.
The Nikon D300 and D3, appear to me, to have the same kind of cool cast to them
Thanks for the Welcome back

The images did indeed lack a little of the natural 'warmth' of the Oly system, but it was not an easy task to judge as the testing area was a swimming pool which is a naturally cold looking place anyway.

On a 1-1 basis at the same White balance the colours are slightly colder on the Nikon, but not enough to be beyond correction in PP'ing. It's mopre noticable on the rendition of reds than anything, with the Oly looking more vivid (or the Nikon looking flatter and more muted depending on how you look at it!)

Chris
Old 15th August 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hey Chris - glad to see you are happy in your decision. It's always difficult as we strive to get the best out of the kit we have - especially when we see what we perhaps sometimes perceive as 'better' images from other cameras, and we want some of it. Nothing wrong in changing kit, as long as it is going to better our skill, and I am delighted to have been in a position where you asked for advice from me, and for that I thank you Chris.

You obviously did a thorough analysis of what could and couldn't be achieved from a change to the excellent Nikon D700 - and decided that with Olympus you'd get better results.

Now the pressure is on though... as we all want to see images that show the superb IQ that can be obtained from the 35-100.

Cheers matey.

Old 15th August 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post

Now the pressure is on though... as we all want to see images that show the superb IQ that can be obtained from the 35-100.
Thanks John

All i can say to that is............ "Watch This Space!"

Chris