Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 15th July 2018

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Any Pen F tips ?

Hello all

I have recently purchased a Pen F from this very forum

Just wondered if there are any top tips that you could offer ?

I normally shoot in JPEG and havent quite decided which setting to chooose - I used to use Vivid on my Panasonic but on the OLY its a bit too saturated.

I haven't really worked out the Creative control yet but have found that the monochrome mode accessed by the SCP is perfectly good.

Thankfully the menu is not quite as confusing as I was expecting although the test will be when I forget something in the middle of nowhere...

Not too sure about the handling yet - my G80 was more comfortable but i hated its mini DSLR styling !

Has anyone found a nice half case for it ? Any links would be appreciated !

thanks
Old 17th July 2018

Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Re: Anyone Pen F tips ?

I bought this half case from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It fits well, and looks OK, but I find I prefer the Meike grip as it feels more secure in my hand on a wrist strap.

My bets tips are always to check the exposure compensation dial and front creative control dials are where you left them when you grab the camera from a bag and turn it on

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
The Following User Says Thank You to CJJE For This Useful Post:
justa1972 (17th July 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
justa1972 (17th July 2018)
Old 17th July 2018

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks Chris - that’s got to be worth a punt for 9 !
Old 18th July 2018

Liked 569 Times in 372 Posts

I've got one of those half cases and it's well made and a good fit. It is secured by a screw into the tripod socket. The screw itself has a threaded socket so you can still use a tripod BUT .. the screw is not captive. If it works loose during use (which mine did) it can fall out. Mine did that but fortunately I noticed and managed to find it before it was irretrievably lost, so it's a good idea to do the screw up firmly and check its tightness regularly.

My only niggle with the Pen-F really is that it's too easy to press a button or two when picking it up because of the way they are positioned. I've taken the odd inadvertent video as a result. While the ergonomics are generally better than my E-M5 mkI, I've never had a similar problem with that body.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
justa1972 (18th July 2018)