Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 4th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,950 Times in 2,290 Posts
Liked 3,828 Times in 1,798 Posts
Re: Am I missing something?

Make sure you give him bad feedback on ebay! It might be a good idea to post his ebay user ID here so we can all avoid using him in future.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not sure this is correct - any item sold (especially by a business - does the vendor have a 'shop' on eBay?) must meet the description as advertised and autofocus is fundamental to the operation of the camera.

Ian
I see where you're coming from but as I see it, it must match the description but doesn't have to work unless it IS from a business seller! That part is reserved for new items. See below - seems daft I know!

If the seller is just Joe Bloggs he's not covered by the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act as far as an automatic refund/replacement goes, but he is covered by general contract law, apart from any ebay rules that apply to him.

"Your consumer rights

When you buy an item from a trader (eg a shop or online shop) the law says the item must be:

of satisfactory quality – last for the time you would expect it to and be free of any defects
fit for purpose – fit for the use described and any specific use you made clear to the trader
as described – match the description on packaging or what the trader told you
If an item doesn’t meet any of these rights, it is faulty and you will usually have the right to a:

repair
replacement
refund
These rights apply to most items you buy from a shop, including sale items. You may have additional rights to these if you have a warranty (see link below).

If the trader makes a fault known to you and you buy the item, you can’t return it unless you discover a different fault.

You have fewer rights if you buy your item from a private seller, eg in an online auction or from a newspaper advert. The items only have to match the description given by the seller and be theirs to sell."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ices/DG_182935

Strange but true???

--------------------------
Old 4th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just raised a dispute with Ebay.

This is the last e-mail from the seller - such a nice chap!

"That is last email, I am sending you.
1. You did not open, and check the camera in front of courier.
2. You were attaching different equipment to the camera.
3. I sent a working, mint condition camera in really good price, and now, after destroying
it (that is how it looks like from the law point of view after not checking the camera on collection) you want to return it.

I will not accept the return of the camera you have damaged."
Old 4th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9ern View Post
I have just raised a dispute with Ebay.

This is the last e-mail from the seller - such a nice chap!

"That is last email, I am sending you.
1. You did not open, and check the camera in front of courier.
2. You were attaching different equipment to the camera.
3. I sent a working, mint condition camera in really good price, and now, after destroying
it (that is how it looks like from the law point of view after not checking the camera on collection) you want to return it.

I will not accept the return of the camera you have damaged."
What's his feedback score at present (no./%) ?

--------------------------
Old 4th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Feedback 17 with 100% rating
Old 4th August 2011

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Hi.
I'm really sorry to hear of your problem.
I do recall having a problem with the contacts on my E520 after several months of use.
I know you have carefully cleaned the contacts but if I remember rightly the contacts are spring loaded. To fix mine I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and quickly but gently depressed the contacts on the camera body and the lens down against the spring several times with a sharp pencil or similar to clean the contacts in their sockets. I've also had to do the same with a flash unit in the past.
I think a small layer of corrosion or gunge can build up which interrupts the conductivity of the contact surfaces the alcohol is an excellent degreaser which evaporates very quickly. You can get it from a chemist in the UK (or off the shelf in French supermarkets!) It may be worth a try before you give up.

This link also describes another forum members experience. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12991

If this doesn't help then name and shame the seller who sounds like a complete T****R
Good luck.

Steve.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
Hi.
I'm really sorry to hear of your problem.
I do recall having a problem with the contacts on my E520 after several months of use.
I know you have carefully cleaned the contacts but if I remember rightly the contacts are spring loaded. To fix mine I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and quickly but gently depressed the contacts on the camera body and the lens down against the spring several times with a sharp pencil or similar to clean the contacts in their sockets. I've also had to do the same with a flash unit in the past.
I think a small layer of corrosion or gunge can build up which interrupts the conductivity of the contact surfaces the alcohol is an excellent degreaser which evaporates very quickly. You can get it from a chemist in the UK (or off the shelf in French supermarkets!) It may be worth a try before you give up.

This link also describes another forum members experience. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12991

If this doesn't help then name and shame the seller who sounds like a complete T****R
Good luck.

Steve.
Still no joy.
The other worrying point (I'm sure I mentioned it initially) is the obvious delay when you activate the AF.

My main worry now is that assuming Ebay provide me with a return address, is that he will refuse to accept the package.

Anyone any idea what happens then?
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 431 Times in 186 Posts

It may be dirt on the focus sensor, I had to clean an E520 that had the same problem you are experiencing.

If you are prepared to have a go you remove the lens and then have to gently lift the mirror as you lift it a small sub mirror under the main mirror will appear it folds up under the main mirror so you have to hold it in such a position that you can gently swab it with a cotton bud soaked in alcohol or good quality lens cleaner. Then lift the mirror all the way and look into the body you will see a recess below the sensor try to use the cotton bud to clean the sensor in there, it's hard to see though, use a blower too to remove any dust but hold the camera face down so any debri falls out the lens space.

Paul
Old 5th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,124 Posts
Liked 1,179 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
What's his feedback score at present (no./%) ?

Completely out of order! He's trying to bully you. You should copy that email to eBay customer support.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Completely out of order! He's trying to bully you. You should copy that email to eBay customer support.

Ian
Don't worry, I'm not fazed by him.

He actually said something worse than that to Ebay in his first response to my opening a claim.
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9ern View Post
Thanks for all your help but still no joy.

I've contacted the seller about sending it back and he says he won't accept returns.

Since it was from Ebay I guess I'll have to make a claim.
That's not how It should work. Or at least if at the moment of the purchase, the user claimed the camera to be working, nowhere in the world he could refuse a possible return.

On the other side, if the focus works but doesn't lock, there's a chance that some dirt got in front of the AF sensor as Woofmix said. Still, if you want to try to clean it, I would be extremely careful when doing so.
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
It may be dirt on the focus sensor, I had to clean an E520 that had the same problem you are experiencing.

If you are prepared to have a go you remove the lens and then have to gently lift the mirror as you lift it a small sub mirror under the main mirror will appear it folds up under the main mirror so you have to hold it in such a position that you can gently swab it with a cotton bud soaked in alcohol or good quality lens cleaner. Then lift the mirror all the way and look into the body you will see a recess below the sensor try to use the cotton bud to clean the sensor in there, it's hard to see though, use a blower too to remove any dust but hold the camera face down so any debri falls out the lens space.

Paul
I'm might resort to that if I lose my claim but if I try it then I might lose any chance of a refund.

Anyone know what Olympus service costs are like?
Old 5th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,950 Times in 2,290 Posts
Liked 3,828 Times in 1,798 Posts

He sounds like a nasty peice of work and a disgrace to the ebay community. Good luck with your claim, if it does fail it might be worth revealing his ebay ID so we can all ask awkward and revealing questions on his future items for sale.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
He sounds like a nasty peice of work and a disgrace to the ebay community. Good luck with your claim, if it does fail it might be worth revealing his ebay ID so we can all ask awkward and revealing questions on his future items for sale.
I'll leave you to work it out John, but if you enter e-520 14-150* into ebay advanced search, and tick the completed listings box it doesn't leave many choices, particularly with 17 @100% feedback.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 5th August 2011

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Sorry the cleaning didn't work. It does sound as if you've been sold a dud.
Did you pay using Paypal? If so ring them immediately and tell them what has happened. I think Ebay's buyer protection is pretty effective.
If you didn't use Paypal ring your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Yours will not be the first case of this nature and they will be able to tell you exactly what your rights are.
Consider also the small claims court.
The person who sold you the

Olympus E-520 + Zuiko Digital 40-150 f3.5-4.5 +extras

has now got an 18 positive Ebay feedback.

Good luck.

Steve.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!