Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 24th March 2008

Liked 1,112 Times in 728 Posts
Re: Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm tale of woe with a happy ending!

I have a Uni-Loc Major S1600 tripod, which is similar to a Benbo. The centre column is removable as is a leg. You can fit them together to make a monopod. There's also a 'duopod' accessory that consists of a plate on a short arm. The end of the arm clamps near the bottom of the monopod, and you then put your foot on the plate to steady it.

Jim
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks Jim,

I shall look the details up.

PeterD
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 1,112 Times in 728 Posts

If you're interested in a Uni-Loc, you should probably keep a look out for the S1700 on Ebay. My S1600 is a brute of a beast whilst the S1700 is lighter.

Jim
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm tale of woe with a happy ending!

Hai Guy's,
Wow! What a Nice thread and a wonderful Read. I can't help but pen down a few word of my opinion on this subject. Firstly, i once own the '' BIGMA '' And boy, IMHO, It's dissapoiting at the long end starting from 400 to 500mm. It's sharpness is a tat soft and altough the contrast is o.k. And it's a little on the heavy side ( Not suitable for Fast moving or small Birds ). Lucky for me it was on loan from a friend of mine.
In my opinion, after 30 years on the field, Getting close and understanding your subject and it's surrounding, will land you more keepers! I does most of my Bird photog Handheld, as Most Tropical Birds are very active and they tend to Jump around alot. So any tripod is alway's a burden let alone the Miss opps. In my opinion the 70-300 and the new 50-200swd with the 2x teleconverter are God send. Well, unless Oly comes out with a 400mm f/4 0r 5.6. Anyway from past experience, getting close and steady and knowing your subject will yield some fine results ( As Nick Temple Fry Say's )....I totally agree with him on this subject matter.
And Thanks to The 4/3 sensor, My hand and shoulder Muscle is a little relax now!......Go out and have fun with what ever you have now, and alway's remember: '' In the hand of a good photographer, The lens is just another Tool ''.........Below are some pic's taken with the 70-300 and all are Handheld.....And boy where on earth are you going to find a lens this Sharp at that price and Reach???......Go out and enjoy the Fruit of love that God has Created for us............Thanks.....James.

Old 24th March 2008

Thanks James,

What a beautiful statement to go with your lovely images. I really envy you and its good that you have joined us.

I am not blaming the 70-300 lens as a whole, just that since I have used mine, I have to throw away far more than I keep. Its been a painful experience and I have always questioned my abilities rather than the hardware. Today's experiment proved that I have a faulty lens. I have seen some really good images using this lens, yours ann John's (TheMusicMan) to name two users. Hopefully I will stand a chance to approach your standard when this lens is replaced. I am looking at all options and have taken on board your comments re the Bigma.

Good shooting

PeterD
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

James,

Excellent images, these are the best samples that I have seen from the 70-300mm by a long way. Based upon an earlier comment in this thread, this lens would seem to take a long time for the auto-fcous takes to lock on, so do you use this lens mainly with manual focus?

I fully agree that getting closer is far better than simply just getting longer lens. This is the best step forward in getting more keepers that I have made during the last year. I had great success last summer shooting at 150mm, but I needed to do my homework first to get close without disturbing the birds.

For me it is early days with my Bigma but I already recognise that if it is to be a useful tool it is going to take time to learn how best to use it. I was particularly interested in your comments about the 400-500mm range.

Thanks for your showing us you pictures and sharing your thoughts.

Cheers

Chris
Old 25th March 2008

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thanks James,

What a beautiful statement to go with your lovely images. I really envy you and its good that you have joined us.

I am not blaming the 70-300 lens as a whole, just that since I have used mine, I have to throw away far more than I keep. Its been a painful experience and I have always questioned my abilities rather than the hardware. Today's experiment proved that I have a faulty lens. I have seen some really good images using this lens, yours ann John's (TheMusicMan) to name two users. Hopefully I will stand a chance to approach your standard when this lens is replaced. I am looking at all options and have taken on board your comments re the Bigma.

Good shooting

PeterD
Hai Peter,
It's alway's a pleasure to be able to share my experience of the Do's and Dont's with you all....No Sweat Brudder!....As a part time photog teacher, i alway's tell my student that it doesn't matter that you fail to get a good pic sometimes. The most important thing is that we must analyse where the mistake is and then Improve on it. After all to err is Human! At least we did our best and see our own shortcomings. I have made it this far through years of trail and error and believe me it's a '' LONG and WINDING ROAD ''. Therefore it's a pleasure to share most if not all of my past experience with anybody let alone our Oly Pals Down Here.
I think you Haven't found your sweet spot yet on your 70-300, mine is F/8 and F/9. Try different exposure mode and and F setting and and who know's you may turn in better picture than mine. As for the Sigma lenses, Their rubber Grip tend to melt after 2 to 3 years ( Tropical Climate ) and so does the Grease inside of the Barrel. This is quite common down here and IMHO , I think '' TAMRON '' Does a better job in this matter.
Hope that i am of help to your problems........Thanks....James.
Old 25th March 2008

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
James,

Excellent images, these are the best samples that I have seen from the 70-300mm by a long way. Based upon an earlier comment in this thread, this lens would seem to take a long time for the auto-fcous takes to lock on, so do you use this lens mainly with manual focus?

I fully agree that getting closer is far better than simply just getting longer lens. This is the best step forward in getting more keepers that I have made during the last year. I had great success last summer shooting at 150mm, but I needed to do my homework first to get close without disturbing the birds.

For me it is early days with my Bigma but I already recognise that if it is to be a useful tool it is going to take time to learn how best to use it. I was particularly interested in your comments about the 400-500mm range.

Thanks for your showing us you pictures and sharing your thoughts.

Cheers

Chris
Hai CaptainD,
Firstly, Thanks for the compliments, and as for the Focusing, i almost always use AF and set it on C-AF Mode. At this age ( 54) this year, i have loss some of my Manual focusing Reflex of my haydays. Mine is only an E-510, And if it's the E-3, well that's even better....As you mention that some other's have had focusing problem with this lens, I think it's either the AF Mode or most likely the Lighting. And i think a strong and fully charge Battery will also Help....That's just my opinion and experience, don't know whether it works over there?.....As for the Bigma, well most of my Birding Buddies sold theirs and opt for prime lenses, which IMO is Expensive.The Tamron 200-500 is a better option but sadly they are not in the 4/3 Group.
Well, look on the bright side of things, maybe just maybe Oly will come out with a 400mm f/4 or 5.6 this coming year or so. Just a Hunch really!....Hope it comes good and early so that i will Retire early and take up Bird Photog full time!......HaHaHa.........By The Way This 70-300 is by far the best Value Tele Lens I ever Had....In a long Time.....Cheers to you all!.......Thanks...James.
Old 18th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
John, Phil, Its only since the very interesting 'getting better' thread of last weekend that I was seriously looking for more reach. Nick's comments regarding image size versus detail etc clinched it for me. Whilst I like the 70-300 very much, I have been looking at my options. Should I go for the x1.4 or x2.0 converter in conjunction with this lens or not or, should I go for something bigger? This thread made me look towards this lens. It is also capable of working with a 2x converter! Not sure if the 4/3 fitting lens works with af or not. If anyone has info on this I would appreciate it.

One thing for sure is that I must invest in a monopod. John, as I recall santa gave you one this year. Any feedback you can give me will be very much appreciated. I already have permission from 'she who must be obeyed' to buy one.

Cheers

PeterD
Hi Peter,
I've got the 70-300 mm and the x2.0 converter.
I find the 70-300 mm a superb lens, but in combination with the x2.0 converter, it's only useful in really sunny weather, since you loses two f stops. I think it would work better with the x1.4 converter since you only loses one f stop. I'm saving to get the 50-200 mm, which I think would work much better with the x2.0 converter, since it is brighter optics.
Cheers Nerdet.
Old 19th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdet View Post
Hi Peter,
I've got the 70-300 mm and the x2.0 converter.
I find the 70-300 mm a superb lens, but in combination with the x2.0 converter, it's only useful in really sunny weather, since you loses two f stops. I think it would work better with the x1.4 converter since you only loses one f stop. I'm saving to get the 50-200 mm, which I think would work much better with the x2.0 converter, since it is brighter optics.
Cheers Nerdet.
Thank you for replying to this post. To bring you up-to-date, I purchased the Sigma 50-500 (commonly known as the Bigma) as my telephoto solution. Prior to this I purchased the EC14 to go with the the 70-300 but found it was not suitable for wildlife unless the conditions were bright. Slow focus speeds and the need to push the ISO were a couple of reasons why I dropped this solution.

I think the new 50-200mm and EC20 could well be a better bet for you with the affordable Zuiko lenses.

Good luck and I hope all works out well for you.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/