Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 29th September 2018

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: Nothing new from Olympus at Photokina, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I've not lost hope that we might see some more firmware enhancements for the E-M1 Mk ii. In another thread, Graham-of-Rainham noted that the latest iPhones can simulate the wide-aperture, shallow depth-of-field look, which portrait photographers like so much.

It would surely not be difficult to add this capability to the Olympus in a firmware upgrade, through a modification of the focus-bracketing feature.

The 'Focos' software app. can already do this for any dual-camera iPhone and I show an example below:

If it came it would be an Art Filter.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 29th September 2018

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts

Those are interesting comments Paul. I too take most of my shots at iso200 and mainly landscapes. Having started my DSLR life with an E510 I still can't get out of the habit of dialling in a tad of -ve exposure compensation so as not to blow out the highlights even when the new cameras don't need it, Anyway it seems to me the DR has improved significantly since the E510 so what makes you crave for still more. I've no experience of FF so don't know what I'm missing I guess. If you have an image/images to illustrate what you'd like to see it would be great to see.
Old 29th September 2018

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Those are interesting comments Paul. I too take most of my shots at iso200 and mainly landscapes. Having started my DSLR life with an E510 I still can't get out of the habit of dialling in a tad of -ve exposure compensation so as not to blow out the highlights even when the new cameras don't need it, Anyway it seems to me the DR has improved significantly since the E510 so what makes you crave for still more. I've no experience of FF so don't know what I'm missing I guess. If you have an image/images to illustrate what you'd like to see it would be great to see.
I don't have an FF camera anymore to compare Phil. However, a friend has a Nikon D810 and it would be fun to do some back- to- back comparisons. I may suggest it to him.

My past experience though is that whilst neither FF not m43 are going to handle the full DR of a bright summer's day, FF allows much more pushing of the shadows in PP and generally delivers a smoother gradation of tones in the final image. M43 in comparison looks punchier, but it's less faithful to the original scene. If I take a 5 EV burst and stack later (so stacking using raw files) I can see this improved tonality using my Olympus gear. Here's a simple example:

Single image, no PP:

Same single image, with highlights -100 and shadows +50 in LR:

Stack of 5EV exposure bracket sequence:

In my view, the last image shows a wider range of tones and looks closer to how my eye/brain saw the scene. I think FF gets closer to the last image without the need to bracket and stack.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (1st October 2018), Graham_of_Rainham (29th September 2018), OM USer (1st October 2018), Phill D (29th September 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (4th October 2018), Phill D (29th September 2018)
Old 29th September 2018

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts

Nice illustration Paul thanks and so fast a response wow very impressed. I see the level of effect you are talking about now. It's fairly subtle between the last two but I guess on a large pano shot where the detail matters, and possibly for printing large, then it would be worth the effort. It would be interesting to see a direct camera comparison plus a comparison with an Olympus high res image too. Feel free to take your time doing these though .
Old 29th September 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
...In my view, the last image shows a wider range of tones and looks closer to how my eye/brain saw the scene.
One of the biggest discussions, debates, arguments and even "learned works/theses" are on the subjective view of a scene in art and photography.

As we look at the sky, our eyes adjust to its brightness and likewise for the darker areas on the ground, we are unable to see the whole landscape with a fixed iris size, so our brain builds the picture from constantly changing signals...

Going back to the early darkroom days, we adjusted exposure of land and sky to give us what we perceive to be that which we saw or want to represent, in the same way the artist paints.

With the introduction of digital cameras, I have played with light meters and cameras to both determine the range of exposures in a scene and demonstrate to people how the cameras limitations can be balanced to what they want the image to look like.

I have tried (and may well do it again) to get a group from a camera club to all take the same picture and look at the variation of the exposure values that they get.

I get to see a lot of pictures and I see a lot of trends in the way images are processed to the end result. Seldom do I see many landscapes that look as natural as the ones you have posted, as the "trend" seems to have gone to the more saturated "graphic" style of image.

Certainly interesting to see the differences (although I did have to fire up the desktop PC as the iPad just didn't display them that well)

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (1st October 2018)
Old 30th September 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

My chat with Panasonic at the show was encouragingly positive for Micro Four Thirds. You do have to read between the lines a little bit (they are rather disparaging about APS-C - but of course they aren't an APS-C player).

There will be no reduction in commitment to Micro Four Thirds, of course as we all know FF lenses, even mirrorless ones, remain much larger and bulkier than MFT ones. Sensor development continues and is already much better than it used to be and Panasonic is evaluating new technologies like organic materials.

It's noticeable that Panasonic's FF body design eschews the trend followed by Sony, Nikon and Canon by not trying to be as tiny as possible. On the one hand this maintains a clear differentiation between its MFT and FF ranges but also that Panasonic feels that professionals don't necessarily want tiny bodies attached to necessarily big FF lenses.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (30th September 2018), OM USer (1st October 2018), Ross the fiddler (30th September 2018)
Old 30th September 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Any "buzz" about the new Full Frame Samsung sensor that was rumoured to have been produced?

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 30th September 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Any "buzz" about the new Full Frame Samsung sensor that was rumoured to have been produced?

Nope.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
OM USer (1st October 2018)
Old 30th September 2018

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts

On the question of dynamic range in landscapes, I quite often find I want more detail in the bright areas (usually sky) and also in the dark areas. Sometimes I find this nicely (and easily) improvable using in-camera HDR. Is this a philistine or beginner method which doesn't meet the level of refinement which some of you achieve? :-)

(I also sometimes use it in architecture shots when the sky would otherwise appear white. Maybe you can get more control by doing it in post processing but this method seems to give at least some advantage)
Old 30th September 2018

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
On the question of dynamic range in landscapes, I quite often find I want more detail in the bright areas (usually sky) and also in the dark areas. Sometimes I find this nicely (and easily) improvable using in-camera HDR. Is this a philistine or beginner method which doesn't meet the level of refinement which some of you achieve? :-)

(I also sometimes use it in architecture shots when the sky would otherwise appear white. Maybe you can get more control by doing it in post processing but this method seems to give at least some advantage)
The problem with the in-camera stacking modes Rob is that the end result is only JPEG. You can get much better results if you set the camera up to do a burst of bracketed shots in RAW and then stack later using Lightroom or your favourite PP program. I also use electronic shutter since (a) it's quieter, and (b) it's much faster - esp on the E-M1ii when you use the H burst mode (6- fps).
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
RobEW (30th September 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (1st October 2018), chris (1st October 2018)
Old 30th September 2018

Yes, JPEG is a limitation if you want to do more post processing. I don't have Adobe programs and don't do a lot of PP. Mainly use DXO and a few features of Affinity. Never tried combining multiple RAWs in Affinity but I dare say it has this feature among its very many. Far too many to master, it seems, in a normal (non-obsessive) lifetime.

I use E-M1 classic, not Mark II. (Or occasionally E-M5 II, but Hi-Res or pocketability seem to be the only real reasons to prefer it).

An E-M1 III with better DR and better high ISO performance would seem a great prospect but almost certainly not one I could justify cost-wise.
Old 1st October 2018

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Interesting range of new m4/3 lenses from Laowa. They seem to think there's a future for the format

Whispers suggest they're also working on a 9mm tilt-shift

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/v...hands-on-32788

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (2nd October 2018)
Old 2nd October 2018

4mm fisheye! Can't imagine how wide that is. Even the 7mm end of my (FT) 7-14 seems pretty extreme. The 4mm looks more like a paperweight or a crystal ball than a lens.

9mm shift sounds exciting too, for certain architecture images at least. (Not so bothered about tilt; can't think why I'd want it.)
Old 2nd October 2018

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
4mm fisheye! Can't imagine how wide that is. Even the 7mm end of my (FT) 7-14 seems pretty extreme. The 4mm looks more like a paperweight or a crystal ball than a lens.

9mm shift sounds exciting too, for certain architecture images at least. (Not so bothered about tilt; can't think why I'd want it.)
I think I have this right, shift is for keystone adjustment & tilt is for plain of focus adjustment (as in 'tilting it'). Both would (could) be useful for architecture.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Laowa are also going to be producing lenses for the GFX range of medium format, 50Mp, Fujis. On the basis of the performance of my 7.5mm f2 for m4/3 I'd say they were currently rocking.

BTW, the recently announced GFX-50R looks very interesting for anyone wanting a serious 'large, slow, mega-detailed' body to add to a 'small, fast, adequately detailed' m4/3 system for things like landscape and studio work where the wonderful image-feel of medium format is unrivalled, and noticeably superior to what FF can achieve. Sure it's expensive, but it's way cheaper than anything else around, and I strongly suggest they'll make it very usable.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.