Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st August 2014

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,451 Times in 726 Posts
Hands-on advice sought...

I know one or two folk on here have the Stylus 1. I've jury-rigged a prop to support a camera so that I manage with only one hand but as I'm having real issues with changing any lens on the µ4/3 gear, I've thought this might fit the bill.

I have an xz-1 which I can manage, but there are times when that 'extra' reach would make a big difference.

Q? Am I correct in thinking that the 28 - 300 is the 35mm equivalent and not x 2 which = 600mm as was the case with a 4/3 300mm - would be a real bonus if YES?

Q/- 2 Roughly, what is the size difference and weight against the xz-1? I know it is a wee bit bigger but there are no Stylus 1 cameras nearby.

To see and handle one, as I can't drive for the forseeable future, is going to be a day's outing by public transport. Being free, the problem is, will it be time wasted... hence the questions.

Basically, when the camera is tucked inside a jacket/coat, I don't want to look like an Amazon with one boob cut off and sporting a beard.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 21st August 2014

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Hands-on advice sought...

The 28-300mm is 35mm equivalent but there is a (looong) teleconverter attachment which boosts the top end to 510mm equivalent.

Don't know how it compares dimensionally to the XZ-1 other than that the viewfinder makes it a bit larger "in the pocket".

Definately not a shirt pocket job but fits comfortably in my belstaff pocket.

Sid

Last edited by son of sid; 21st August 2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: signed twice
The Following User Says Thank You to son of sid For This Useful Post:
Wally (22nd August 2014)
Old 22nd August 2014

Hi Sid, thanks for the reply. It took a while but I managed to find a post from Ian where it shows the camera alongside an EM 5. I believe I handled jdal's EM-5 prior to this during a meet at Seaham, near Durham.

The blether from October 2013, can be found here if anyone is interested?

Old 22nd August 2014

Thanked 1,302 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Hi Wally,
The Stylus 1 is slightly narrower than the E-M5 & lighter but I can't compare it in real life with the XZ-1.
Here is a couple of photos (where the Stylus 1 looks wider because of the strap) of Stylus 1 & E-M5

Stylus 1 in Off condition with retracted lens behind Auto Lens Cover

The Dimensions for:
XZ-1 = 111 x 65 x 42 mm, Weight (incl. Battery and card) = 275g
Stylus 1 = 116 x 87 x 57 mm, Weight (inc. batteries) = 402 g

The Stylus 1 has the same EVF as the EM-5 (or more correctly as the E-M10 with background variable lighting to suit ambient light)

Also Dimensions for body only:
OM-D E-M10 = 119 x 82 x 46 mm, Weight (inc. batteries) = 396 g
OM-D E-M5 = 122 x 89 x 43 mm, Weight (inc. batteries) = 425 g

The Stylus 1 is obviously larger & heavier than the XZ-1 but includes the EVF as well (with small pop-up flash). It goes with me when ever I don't want the full kit, such as Sydney Airport (seeing one of the family off to somewhere or other) & is comfortable to hold. Here are a couple of photos taken inside the domestic terminal (behind glass).

Out of Camera JPEG (from behind glass with reflections)

And the above with the RAW file processed in Capture One (Pro 7).

I highly recommend it as a great take anywhere camera & if used carefully (don't blow highlights) it comes up with lovely results & is great for indoors with the bright constant f/2.8 equiv. 28-300mm lens (like using a 14-150mm lens for 4/3's). It also uses a 2 X Digital Teleconverter that upsizes the image quite nicely. I hope that helps Wally.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Wally (22nd August 2014)
Old 22nd August 2014

Ross, you're a superstar. The pictures and the info are giving me a better idea of size/weight etc. As for the tele-converter, it's, atm a non,no. I can only use one hand which is why I'm toying with the idea of the Stylus 1. I have two ep-3's bought from this forum and have hardly used them since January 2013 when I had my accident. In fact, one of them has only taken 1 shot and has under 250 clicks.

I dropped a friends XZ-1 and replaced it as the outer paintwotk got scratched which is what I have been using along with an EVF2. I've jerry-rigged a small tri-pod and straps so I can still take the odd piccie. Biggest hassle / impossible area is changing the lens.

The Stylus looks as if it mught be just the answer to that problem. Being slightly larger with a grip is, I hope will become a wee bonus?

I know there are other alternatives/makes but Wally by name but Oly by choice.

Old 22nd August 2014

Thanked 1,302 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Ross, you're a superstar. The pictures and the info are giving me a better idea of size/weight etc. As for the tele-converter, it's, atm a non,no. I can only use one hand which is why I'm toying with the idea of the Stylus 1. I have two ep-3's bought from this forum and have hardly used them since January 2013 when I had my accident. In fact, one of them has only taken 1 shot and has under 250 clicks.

I dropped a friends XZ-1 and replaced it as the outer paintwotk got scratched which is what I have been using along with an EVF2. I've jerry-rigged a small tri-pod and straps so I can still take the odd piccie. Biggest hassle / impossible area is changing the lens.

The Stylus looks as if it mught be just the answer to that problem. Being slightly larger with a grip is, I hope will become a wee bonus?

I know there are other alternatives/makes but Wally by name but Oly by choice.
I wonder if a Joby Wrist Strap might be helpful to you, but then the neck strap might still be the best of options.

On the front of the camera surrounding the lens is the control ring (the same as the XZ-2) which, in Aperture Priority, would normally control Aperture while the top (rear) control dial changes the compensation. The front ring is a little stiff to change (in click mode) & then there is the front lever switch which by default changes to MF & the front ring changes to smooth rotation for manual focussing. The front Fn2 button (inside the front switch) operates by cycling through the preset Functions set up in the Menu (tick the ones you want) which is quite useful. Again I hope that helps.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).