Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 29th December 2007

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts
Focussing Issues with the E3

To bring you awareness of the Back focus thread on the US Fourthirds forum at

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/s...ad.php?t=20049

Has any one detected this problem with European sourced cameras (might be from a later manufacturing batch than cameras bought in Japan and the US).
Old 29th December 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Focussing Issues with the E3

That's an interesting thread, I may time to have a go at some similar tests later today. If I do, I shall post the comparative results from my E-510 and E-3...

Very curious indeed now.

Old 29th December 2007

Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts

I have been following this story too.

With the 12-60 what I have noticed is that focus can be off at times but with another touch of the button it pops into better focus. I'm not too alarmed because I am still learning and may have a setting in the wrong place or something.

I also notice that two or three shots of the same subject in a two or three second series will be differently focussed and I pick the best.

But with every camera I've ever used I get either back or front focus and I haven't been blaming the camera. As my eyes are now as old as the rest of my body I'm not sure manual focus will be that much better

Would like to hear other experiences too.
Old 29th December 2007

While I think about it - and no, I don't consider this a major issue - when you focus on a subject using the center red autofocus point and then zoom all the way in to this image using image preview - the item that you focussed on is not in the center of the frame. On my E-3 it is slightly to the left of the center.

Have only checked this on the viewfinder and not by pixel count but it could be something to be alerted about. If the actual focus point is not directly under the red illuminated square - then slight out of focus will occur.

Old 29th December 2007
PeterD

Smile Re: Focussing Issues with the E3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
While I think about it - and no, I don't consider this a major issue - when you focus on a subject using the center red autofocus point and then zoom all the way in to this image using image preview - the item that you focussed on is not in the center of the frame. On my E-3 it is slightly to the left of the center.

Have only checked this on the viewfinder and not by pixel count but it could be something to be alerted about. If the actual focus point is not directly under the red illuminated square - then slight out of focus will occur.
There may be two issues at play here. The one mentioned above and the other being hysterisis. This latter point may address the two shot focussing to achieve focus. It may be that the first attempt at focus slightly overshoots the targeted focus and the second pulls it in. Its certainly an interesting point that should be considered by Oly. I mention this because I too have experienced this and thinking about the focussing speed improvement this might be a resulting side effect.
The beauty of this though is that both problems could be fixed in firmware updates for camera and lens. I would not be too surprised to see update to address it.
Its like everything else that is new, there may be things to improve performance which are only seen when sufficient quantities of cameras are out there. Even so, I do not think it is anything to worry about as long as it is investigated. Just think of those days when it was impossible to correct these sorts of issues without replaceing hardware!

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 29th December 2007
beardedwombat

Very interesting. My E-3 also has the focussed point slightly to the left when taken with the VF but central when taken with LV. The difference is noticeable even handheld. I also find differences in white balance with consecutive shots as mentioned in the thread. This requires further investigation and comparison with my 510.
Chris
Old 29th December 2007

I would feel a lot more comfortable if Olympus tech support would monitor at least one of the forums and respond to the issues.

In other techy forums there is often quite a bit of manufactures input.
Old 29th December 2007
PeterD

Thumbs up Re: Focussing Issues with the E3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I would feel a lot more comfortable if Olympus tech support would monitor at least one of the forums and respond to the issues.

Thats a very good point. This is afterall an Olympus sponsored site and is an obvious place fo them to get user feedback directly. The other side of the coin is its also an obvious place for Olymus to provide their comments to the right audience.

Perhaps Ian will take this up after the new year.

PeterD
Old 29th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post

When I was at the recent press launch for the E-3 in London one of the folks there was (I think) a Sales Director for Olympus UK. He was discussing this site with us and did mention that he thought it a great idea that Olympus use it in part to gauge feedback etc. Also, it's worth pointing out that the site belongs to Olympus... Ian manages it on their behalf, so I guess they do have a presence here already.

It would be very nice to see this evolve such that we have some representation from Olympus actually visible here though. We shall see.

Old 29th December 2007

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

I tried the focusing tests with my 50mm f2 macro and 12-60mm lenses, both at widest apertures and the subject positioned at the closest focusing distance. Focusing set to S-AF using the centre point only and using the viewfinder - not LV.

The focussing was absolutely spot on with both lenses. I did find that, like others here, when zooming in on the resultant shots the target mark was drifting to the left as I zoomed in, which would mean that the camera's centre point was slightly off to the right.

Steve
Old 29th December 2007

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

... and just tried focusing with LV and centering is spot on - as others have found.

Steve
Old 29th December 2007

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

I've been following the thread on Four Thirds Photo for a few days now.I did some tests last night and I do feel something is amiss.
I'm afraid that I have deleted my results now but what I did was focus on a page of a book angled away from me at 45 degrees using the 12-60mm zoomed in to 60mm and at F4.I used the auto focus on a specific letter set with single point small.The result was a consistant forward focus on the letter before.
Today I tried my 50-200mm and got some very strange results some images very sharp and some way off even when the camera told me it was focused.
I then tried my E1 with the 50-200 and seemed to also get the same results,very strange.
On the E1 I was used to using a doulble press of the shutter to get good focus but hoped the E3 would be better.
I must admit I only shoot wide open if I feel the conditions need it and normally shoot at about F 5.6-7.1 and therefore the problem is less due to DOF.
When I get time I may try the close up test on the E1.
I does seem that there is an issue here.I notice some users on the other site have raised it with Olympus.Lets hope it can be cured with a firmware fix.

Ps forgot to mention all my shots with the 12-60 were on a tripod with the IS turned off and my shots with the 50-200 were hand held with IS on and all above 500th of a second.,

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Last edited by andym; 29th December 2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added comments
Old 29th December 2007
ianjip

Question Re: Focussing Issues with the E3

This is quite scary conversation thread, as yet I haven't put an order in for the E3, I intended to wait until I could hold one in my hands as I find the feel and weight of any camera is important. (If it feels right it is right.)

From the conversation thread I see the problem of focus has not been addressed since the E1. However if this only shows up in LV mode then I don't see it as a real problem or is it ?

I am quite happy to be corrected.

ian
Old 31st December 2007

Apart from there being a possible problem with the camera - the biggest problem is that E3 cameras are getting their biggest outing during this long weekend when users have time to try out the camera and make posts on various forums and there is no response from Olympus as they are shut down for the holiday period.

I hope that Olympus do not have a DC10 situation on their hands.

The launch of the E3 appeared to be internet led, I hope it's premature death is not similarly internet led.

For the record - I am so far very pleased with my E3, 12 to 60mm and an old 50-200mm, however I am using mainly the single small centre focussing point.
Old 31st December 2007

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Derek

Yes I agree with you even if there is a slight issue I does not detract from using the E3.Using lower F stops(but not too low) increases the depth of field.Also using ones eyes and not relying on the auto focus all the time(every camera I have had seems to have the same issue).
As I said before I use sometimes the double push of the shutter to get a good focus.It's all about the person controling the camera and not the other way round.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Last edited by andym; 31st December 2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling,not my strong point