Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 25th February 2008
theenigma

Question Are you happy with the E3 now the dust has settled?

Hi there folks,

Well I guess as this is my first “real” post it should be one that makes some sense instead of me “wondering around” and not really asking anything!

Basically I want to know how you are getting on with your E3’s (for those of you lucky enough to own one).
Having heard about different issues that have affected some of the early cameras (focussing, bits falling off), how do you feel about owning one now that the dust has somewhat settled and that progress is being made to iron out these issues?

What would you say is the strongest asset of the E3? Is it the Live View or perhaps the weather sealing that makes it stand out from the crowd?

All in all, are you happy with the E3?

Can't wait to hear what you think on this

Cheers,

Harv
Old 25th February 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Are you happy with the E3 now the dust has settled?

Hi Harv

I must admit to being very happy with my E-3, and have used all of the features you mentioned in your post.

The live view was superb when I took some moving water shots, the weather sealing has shown its quality when I have been taking shots of my daughters rugby games in the drizzle, and one feature you haven't mentioned is the IQ at high ISO's. I have been amazed (and you'll see a few threads about this too) at the quality of the images produced on the E-3 at ISO1600 and even at ISO3200. OK, as with most camera shots taken at these ISO levels, there is some PP required, but the E-3 certainly shines through here and is capable of delivering excellent results when used effectvely.

I am still very much learning about all the features and controls that are available in-camera, and am enjoying it immensely - and can honestly say that I carry my E-3 with me almost everywhere I go outside the house.

So yes... all in all I am very happy with mine.

Old 25th February 2008

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Harv

Yes I had to agree with John its very good.I took me a while to get used to the focusing,I use center point small most of the time but even with that you have to very careful what you focus on and on the texture of the surface, I find I have to be a lot more precise than with the E1.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Do not know - I have not seen my E3 for 3.5 weeks, waiting for Olympus to digitus extractus
Update a few minutes later
Just rang Oly Watford - they are waiting for a spare part - due on the 29th Feb, item was identified as being needed on the 11th or 12th of Feb, the camera is in Portugal
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

Hi harv

I'm very happy with my E-3, it has many features and I'm still learning to get the best from them.
I'm enjoying and learning about using the E-3 alot. As to it strongest assest I'm not sure which I would choose the bright view finder is great and also the live view with the moveable screen.

Yes a very happy E-3 owner
Old 25th February 2008
beardedwombat

Hi Harv
I am generally very happy with my E-3 however there are a couple of things that, I feel could be improved but then there is no such thing as the perfect camera. If there was, life would be very boring for some people as they would have nothing to moan about! (The following are therefore not moans, just observations!)

Button arrangement could be better, particularly the flash, mode and AF buttons - they are fiddly and not intuitive to use. The focussing is a bit of an issue as is well known. My camera front focusses on vertical lines but is spot-on with horizontal lines (I tested it using the Tim Jackson test chart) though in practice I don't really notice it. I still haven't worked out how all points focussing works (how about telling us Olympus?). I am forever wiping nose smears off the screen but then I have got a biggish hooter! The wireless flash control system would be much better if it used radio rather than light to communicate. The XD card slot is a waste of space - two CF slots would be far better.

Without doubt the standout feature is the image quality - it is superb. The viewfinder is wonderful and the IS is also far better than has been mentioned in any review that I've read. The "Super Control Panel" on the rear screen is incredibly useful and will, no doubt, be copied by most manufacturers. The hinged screen and live-view combine to make a very useful feature. The weatherproofing is a comfort in bad weather and it's built like a tank. The 12-60 lens is a honey on both my E-3 and my E-510.

So am I glad I switched from my Nikon D200? In a word - Yes!

Cheers
Chris
Old 25th February 2008
Photocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
...The "Super Control Panel" on the rear screen is incredibly useful and will, no doubt, be copied by most manufacturers...
Interested to know more. Can you elaborate on the Super Control Panel? What is it like and why so good?

Regards,
Old 25th February 2008
beardedwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photocracy View Post
Interested to know more. Can you elaborate on the Super Control Panel? What is it like and why so good?
It's similar to the E-510, press the info button and a summary of 18 camera settings appears on the screen. Press the OK button and you can then scroll around the display, using the arrow keys, to the setting you want to adjust, press OK again and the appropriate adjustment screen pops up. In addition to the 18 settings the "Super Display Panel" shows mode, exp comp, date, IS status, NR status and frames remaining. It's very simple, very legible and very useful.

I forgot to mention how useful the degree of customisation is but it would still be even more useful to be able to assign functions to the arrow keys as well as the Fn button.

Cheers
Chris
Old 25th February 2008
beardedwombat

Also mustn't forget the dustbuster. Never noticed any specks on any images yet despite fairly frequent lens changes and the audible sucking sound when zooming lenses.
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

Very good point don't forget the SSWF, never had a problem with dust on images from the E-3 or with any of my other E-system cameras. Very effective system Olympus still well ahead of the competition. But tester still moan it slows down start up time??
Old 25th February 2008
Photocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
It's similar to the E-510, press the info button and a summary of 18 camera settings appears on the screen. Press the OK button and you can then scroll around the display, using the arrow keys, to the setting you want to adjust, press OK again and the appropriate adjustment screen pops up. In addition to the 18 settings the "Super Display Panel" shows mode, exp comp, date, IS status, NR status and frames remaining. It's very simple, very legible and very useful.

I forgot to mention how useful the degree of customisation is but it would still be even more useful to be able to assign functions to the arrow keys as well as the Fn button.

Cheers
Chris
Thanks for explaining that. I still have the E500 at the moment so some of the later Oly developments are unknown to me. Yesterday, at Focus, I was able to handle all the Oly models for the first time. I cannot believe how brilliantly small the E410 is and as for the E3, just lovely. Some have said it's large, but I thought it was well proportioned for semi-pro and beautifully built. Oly really were looking good yesterday with their camera line up and lenses all on show. Personally, I think the future looks bright. (Sorry for wandering off topic a little).

Regards,
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Always been happy with my E-3, luckily my SWD 12-60 was outside the batch that has a service note out.

I love the live-view, it helps take photos in difficult positions e.g.

Live-view also allows you to see the effect of depth of field, exposure comp etc on the LCD display.

The buttons are similiar to my previous E series so the transition was a lot smoother. As with all cameras they are a bit fiddly with my big fingers.

The tried and trusted dust prevention system is a must. Image stabilization in camera is an advantage to gain a few stops when I don't have the tripod around.

Not had any opportunity to use the fast 1/8000 of shutter speed.

The weather seals are a great reassurance as I tend to take most of my photos outdoors.

Overall I think it is great value for all the features at the price.
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Are you happy with the E3 now the dust has settled?

The E3 gives a steep learning curve and when I first started to use it I found the huge range of options a bit overwhelming, especially the focus options but now after a few months of using it I'm glad to say I'm very happy with the camera. It has all the things I love about the E1, build quality, dust reduction, splash proofing and the Olympus colours to name but a few but adds better high ISO performance, live view - the tilting screen is great, a fantastic viewfinder, I.S. which works with every lens and faster focus. Doubling the number of pixels over the E1 allows far more cropping and although it is festooned with buttons after using them for a while it's now starting to become second nature.

So yes I'm happy with the camera and most importantly with the results I have got from it.

Ian C.
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

I'm very pleased with my E3+12-60mm.

It's a serious chunk of machinery compared to my E500. I usually go walkabout in the Cairngorms for a couple of weeks in summer. On the one hand I'm looking forwards to using it - but on the other, not looking forwards to carrying it!

Of late I've been trying to go lightweight and 'gram counting' with my backpacking gear, but that's all gone out the window with my photo gear this year - especially if I get a Zuiko 50-200mm lens. Perhaps I'll hire a ghillie to carry it all!

Jim
Old 26th February 2008
250swb

I am very happy with my E3, it focuses and works flawlessly. I have used it in a torrential downpour that lasted for around two hours without any problems, other than keeping the UV filter clear of water. The E3 is certainly a massive step on from the E1, although I wonder what the designer was thinking when they designed the awful HLD-4 grip