Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 12th October 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: E3 problems - again! Update

Indeed. I look forward to hearing what Oly have to say Peter.

Old 13th October 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: E3 problems - again! Update

I have spoken to Oly Technical Support this morning and described the problems I have been having.
As usual, they were very helpful and agreed that it is likely that I have a problem with the camera and also the grip. They suggested sending the camera and grip in for repair.

I then spoke to Customer Services and am awaiting a reply.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 13th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E3 problems - again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Just when I thought all my problems were behind me - off we go again

For the last two days I have found that my settings change from those I have selected. e.g. ISO 400 becomes ISO 800. C-AF changes to S-AF etc. This is similar to the last problem I had where the camera settings change for no apparant reason to the factory defaults. This was confirmed and 'repaired' about 4 months ago.
Yesterday, I ended up with mirror lock-up which could only be reset by powering down and then up again. This was the reason my first camera was exchanged. It was OK today but

Surely I am not alone with these problems. Having forked out as much as I have for this camera, I expected far more than this.
Talley to-date (Camera alone) 2 camera bodies and one repair. All in under one year.

Oh well, back to technical support on Monday...........

Peter

Sorry to hear about your problem. I purchased the E-3 on November 17th of last year and have had absolutely ZERO problems with my E-3 and I assure you I have used and abused it (including dropping it out of my car onto concrete). I hope you get a flawless version of the E-3 so that you can experience this awesome camera for what its worth.
Old 13th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. I purchased the E-3 on November 17th of last year and have had absolutely ZERO problems with my E-3 and I assure you I have used and abused it (including dropping it out of my car onto concrete). I hope you get a flawless version of the E-3 so that you can experience this awesome camera for what its worth.
Thanks Solar.
Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with the E3 and pushing it as far as possible. No, my problem has been of reliability not performance when it works properly. I know there are so many of you out there with fault free cameras - wish I could join you. To clarify, all the faults I have reported have been confirmed by Olympus. I was even given the diagnosis on the camera that was exchanged (that was a nice touch as at least they ensured I had feedback). I am hopeful that this time I too shall have a good , reliable camera. You can only be so unlucky a few times -can't you

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 13th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thanks Solar.
Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with the E3 and pushing it as far as possible. No, my problem has been of reliability not performance when it works properly. I know there are so many of you out there with fault free cameras - wish I could join you. To clarify, all the faults I have reported have been confirmed by Olympus. I was even given the diagnosis on the camera that was exchanged (that was a nice touch as at least they ensured I had feedback). I am hopeful that this time I too shall have a good , reliable camera. You can only be so unlucky a few times -can't you

Peter
Yeah, third times a charm!
Old 13th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Yeah, third times a charm!
I did not want to say that but - I am hoping

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 13th October 2008
tlove

Fingers crossed for you Peter

It is an awesome camera - I really hope you get it sorted very soon. Small consolation, but at least you've still got the E-500 you can use .
Old 15th December 2008
ciarank

Unhappy Re: E3 problems - again!

Hi folks..
I am reading this thread with interest, as my E3, which until now has been 100% reliable and is used virtually every day, is now playing up. Like another poster, I use the grip, and I have noticed that battery life with 2 BLM1s in the grip seems to be much shorter now than when I used one battery in the body alone. I normally power on and off, and the camera runs as normal again. However, it has frozen three times on me in the last few days, and reverted back to the settings I was using at a football match last week- continuous AF, 800ISO, High speed shutter release, etc. (Ever so confusing when I reset the settings, then power off, power on again and the football settings reappear.) Tonight I decided to update the firmware via Olympus Master to Version 1.2. This was a success... but now I notice that my Menu looks different, and that I cannot set the camera to Large and Superfine for jpegs- that option has vanished from the menu altogether.
Olympus Technical Support time?
Old 15th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarank View Post
Hi folks..
I am reading this thread with interest, as my E3, which until now has been 100% reliable and is used virtually every day, is now playing up. Like another poster, I use the grip, and I have noticed that battery life with 2 BLM1s in the grip seems to be much shorter now than when I used one battery in the body alone. I normally power on and off, and the camera runs as normal again. However, it has frozen three times on me in the last few days, and reverted back to the settings I was using at a football match last week- continuous AF, 800ISO, High speed shutter release, etc. (Ever so confusing when I reset the settings, then power off, power on again and the football settings reappear.) Tonight I decided to update the firmware via Olympus Master to Version 1.2. This was a success... but now I notice that my Menu looks different, and that I cannot set the camera to Large and Superfine for jpegs- that option has vanished from the menu altogether.
Olympus Technical Support time?
Hi ciarank

The faults you describe pre - update are two of those that I too have experienced. Mine was corrected with a return for repair. The latest fault (with the menu) is not one I experience and my firmware was upgraded to 1.2 as part of the latest repair. I suggest that you contact Oly Support. They have been a great help to me in the past.

As for my camera, its back and working very well. Took a long time (over a month) to get it back but it was worth it. I have to thank Oly for the loan of an E3 whilst mine was away for repair. If you read this Marcus, a special thanks go to you in supporting my repair and loaning me the camera.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 15th December 2008
brob108

I had exactly the same problems last month with my E3 (using the battery grip). For one week my camera kept shutting down and when I re-started it the settings reverted to something I'd been using pre the last shoot.

I took my battery grip off and cleaned the contacts and so far (touching a big plank of wood) I've not had a problem since. I've taken a couple of thousand pictures in the last couple of weeks so it's so far so good. I must admit when the camera goes into sleep mode I do wonder if it will spark up again.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and see if anything untoward happens.

I've also wondered if it may be a battery issue. I've been using the battery from my E500 and a BLM1 compatible battery mostly but have two much less used batteries (both Olympus BLM1s) and the first set are where I had problems and the second set have never been an issue. I've ordered some new batteries just in case.
Old 16th December 2008
250swb

Just by way of perhaps helping diagnose these problems you can replicate the settings reverting back a generation yourself, by changing some settings and then take the battery out while the camera is switched on. On the other hand if you switch off properly it then stores the latest settings. So it does seem that the problem is a brake in the current from battery/grip to camera, not a specific camera or Firmware problem.

Steve
Old 16th December 2008
ciarank

Light at the end of the tunnel. I used the E3 minus grip today for 300 frames without the slightest hint of a problem. Battery life seems much improved. Olympus Technical Support were able to show me deep in the menu system how to get my Superfine Jpeg setting back.
I am coming to the conclusion that (a) the HLD4 itself drains more battery power than the body on its own, and (b) my connection between HLD4 and body must have loosened enough to cause the problems detailed above.
Going to a few jobs tomorrow with HLD4, freshly charged batteries and a large dose of optimism.
Old 16th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob108 View Post
I had exactly the same problems last month with my E3 (using the battery grip). For one week my camera kept shutting down and when I re-started it the settings reverted to something I'd been using pre the last shoot.

I took my battery grip off and cleaned the contacts and so far (touching a big plank of wood) I've not had a problem since. I've taken a couple of thousand pictures in the last couple of weeks so it's so far so good. I must admit when the camera goes into sleep mode I do wonder if it will spark up again.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and see if anything untoward happens.

I've also wondered if it may be a battery issue. I've been using the battery from my E500 and a BLM1 compatible battery mostly but have two much less used batteries (both Olympus BLM1s) and the first set are where I had problems and the second set have never been an issue. I've ordered some new batteries just in case.
I have quite a few BLM-1s, and the oldest dates back to the end of 2003 when the E-1 first came out. I can't tell which are the new ones and which are the old ones - they all seem to work as well as each other

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th December 2008
brob108

I've not had problems since I took my grip off, cleaned the contacts and put it back on again.

I did over 800 shots this afternoon (using 5fps motor drive setting too) and had no problems whatsoever. Since my last problem with the power I've taken around 3000 pictures and all has been fine (it will probably go wrong now!).

Does seem to point to a power issue with the grip rather than anything else with the camera/batteries.