Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 27th April 2008
Hiding_Pup

Re: Fine Art Photography Debate

Apologies if you took offence, Andy - but I just meant what John's said in the above post.

But this all leads me onto my next thought: if the greatness of a work of art relies on an individual's reponse to it, and if popularity doesn't necessarily indicate great art, then what, exactly, is being judged in photography competitions that decide on a winner by public vote?
Old 28th April 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts
Re: Fine Art Photography Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding_Pup View Post
Apologies if you took offence, Andy - but I just meant what John's said in the above post.

But this all leads me onto my next thought: if the greatness of a work of art relies on an individual's reponse to it, and if popularity doesn't necessarily indicate great art, then what, exactly, is being judged in photography competitions that decide on a winner by public vote?
In this context, simple. What's being judged is contemporary popular taste, which isn't necessarily good art or good photography, but it is art and it is photography. It's more to do with current trends and fashion, which may well result in Fine Art, but often does not. The best test is the test of time.

John