Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 12th July 2018

Liked 1,582 Times in 957 Posts
Re: Agfa Vista 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
7dayshop still stock a lot of film:

https://www.7dayshop.com/35mm-negative-and-slide-film

Jim
I purchase from 7dayshop, and other vendors too. 7day are competitive and p+p is included, so the price you see is what you pay.

on flickr
Old 12th July 2018

Liked 1,582 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That is very interesting Steve, although it soon becomes clear that many of the emulsions listed are in fact manufactured by third parties, so the total number of 'different' films made will actually be much lower. All the same there is clearly much more life in film than many of us had feared.

I suppose the question is, how many films do we actually 'need', (I currently use five, or maybe six from three different manufacturers), and what is a healthy number for the industry?

I didn't realise until a few days ago that 'Kodak' (as in the amazing Kodak Ektra 100) is actually a new and different company to the ailing behemoth Eastman Kodak, that has presumably acquired intellectual property rights from the old company. I don't know whether the new company actually manufactures films themselves (I had heard that a lot of production was contracted out to third parties), but they seem keen to resurrect the best of the old firm's products.

However, I doubt that we will ever see Kodakchrome 25 again.
It does appear that the number of films available is smaller than the headline figure. It's encouraging, though, that some can make a business by doing so.

A while back Petapixel posted a video of film being made in Kodak's Rochester plant (much done in darkness obviously so no photos) here's a link if you missed it originally: https://petapixel.com/2018/04/09/thi...-film-is-made/
I'm eagerly awaiting the re-launch of Ektachrome, like many. Kodak announced their intention a year or so ago with great excitement from the photographic community. However the projected release dates have come and gone, until I read within the last week or so that ag photographic (agphoto) are processing a trial batch, so hopefully it won't be too long before the film is released in sufficient quantity to meet the inevitable high demand.
I mostly use Ilford for B&W and Kodak for colour, but my appetite for alternatives is growing, eg Washi, Berger Panchromatic (a two emulsion film composed of silver bromide and silver iodide, differing in grain size, the synergy of which provides a wider exposure latitude) and Fomapan which is supposed to have an inferior anti-halation to induce 'glow'. I can't think of a parallel to analogue where you can change the imaging sensor as often as you wish without having to change the camera body.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
angelpaaul (12th July 2018), Naughty Nigel (13th July 2018)
Old 12th July 2018

Liked 1,769 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When I was at school we visited the nearby Kodak factory at Wealdstone.

It was a huge place and they manufactured everything, included the film. I can remember that we were handed a large bar of silver that was passed around. IIRC it was the size of a house brick, but much heavier..

Jim
I presume the Hemel Hempstead works was for film processing rather than manufacture? It wouldn't do to get the two mixed up I suppose.

I can still remember the address for Kodakchrome processing now: PO Box 14, Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7EH.

It used to be good to post films there from holidays, knowing that they would be on the doormat when you returned home.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (12th July 2018)
Old 13th July 2018

Liked 609 Times in 396 Posts

Box 14 was actually a small wooden box attached to the side of the gatehouse where you could drop your films off for processing. I used it quite frequently when I lived in Hemel.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (13th July 2018)
Old 13th July 2018

Liked 1,769 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Box 14 was actually a small wooden box attached to the side of the gatehouse where you could drop your films off for processing. I used it quite frequently when I lived in Hemel.
I didn't know that.

Just as one could post northbound letters on the mail train at London Kings Cross (for a small supplement) until its departure at about 23.00 Hrs.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing