Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 3

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 3 The third-generation entry-level OM-D

Old 17th September 2017

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: M10 Mark III review

Back on topic - there's a very helpful post over on DPR (imagine that!) from someone who has bought a 10iii:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4204791

It seems even more dumbed down than I thought!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
KeithL (17th September 2017), RobEW (4th February 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (17th September 2017)
Old 17th September 2017

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Back on topic - there's a very helpful post over on DPR (imagine that!) from someone who has bought a 10iii:

Thanks Paul. An interesting read from Helen.

BTW, the User Manual is also available now too (if interested in reading it), as I've posted earlier. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46119

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 17th September 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

So I feel rather justified in thinking that it has much to do with increasing profit! I am now wondering if there will rapidly follow an "update" of the M5 MkII, with a sort of halfway house treatment; that could "justify" another price rise, and then either "update" or simply increase the price of the M1 MkII and people could perhaps be induced to go for much more expensive models. Or indeed, if they want a good prosumer level spec, be forced to go for the dearest camera in the range.
Old 17th September 2017

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts

I liked a comment from Lindsay D for an apt explanation of Olympus's strategy with this new model. (on another forum) as quoted.
Quote:
The EM10 and EM10ii proved to be an irritation at times for Olympus, simply because they were so competent. Pros like myself bought them as additional bodies, or personal use cameras - so Olympus were losing a little of the market who would otherwise have purchased another EM5ii or EM1. Add to that the fact that many beginners found the EM10 a little intimidating and you can see why Olympus are now aiming for the 'point and shoot enthusiast' group so that this segment and the prosumers become more divided. The price point is an irrelevance, if they market it right nobody will quibble, especially if that market is newbies who believe the camera makes the photo.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 18th September 2017

Liked 424 Times in 205 Posts

Read the review and the comments.

As I've said before as a Mki user I would have considered the Mkiii but it doesn't offer anything I really want over the Mkii and that doesn't justify the cost to change given how little my Mki is now worth.

It seems to me that most of the criticism is aimed at menu functions - most of us have at one time or another been irritated by Olympus menus - it would be nice if Olympus had invested in better User Interface design rather than cutting things out to make them "simpler". I would imagine if this turns out to be really unsuccessful they could add some of the "missing" features via firmware updates but that seems improbable to me.

Honestly I don't see how anyone would part with £630 for the iii over £450 for the ii (body only) unless they desperately want 4K video. If I wanted 4K I'd probably look at Panasonic.

On the plus side - I'm not tempted to upgrade which means I'm richer!
drmarkf (20th September 2017)
Old 18th September 2017

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

It's a camera for the beginner, but it doesn't sound like the camera a beginner can grow into. The lack of RC flash remains pretty glaring.
Old 18th September 2017

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I liked a comment from Lindsay D for an apt explanation of Olympus's strategy with this new model. (on another forum) as quoted.
That does make sense. I know Danny (nzmacro) was using a EM10 and he posted some of the best bird photos I've seen on here.

It also makes me wonder if Olympus are thinking back to the OM10 which was a massive seller and probably got a lot of people into using the OM system. Maybe they hope that the EM10 will do the same.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 19th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
That does make sense. I know Danny (nzmacro) was using a EM10 and he posted some of the best bird photos I've seen on here.

It also makes me wonder if Olympus are thinking back to the OM10 which was a massive seller and probably got a lot of people into using the OM system. Maybe they hope that the EM10 will do the same.

I wonder if it would be as fragile, too? My daughter had an OM10. I was astonished how quickly it died... And I've heard that was a common criticism of it.
Old 19th September 2017

Liked 837 Times in 538 Posts

The OM-10s were prone to sticky magnet syndrome I believe, but I've still got mine and it still works (or it did last time I looked!). I bought one when they first came out because I couldn't afford an OM-2. A year or two later the prices of both had dropped by about half and I could have had an OM-2 for what I paid for the 10!
Old 19th September 2017

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I wonder if it would be as fragile, too? My daughter had an OM10. I was astonished how quickly it died... And I've heard that was a common criticism of it.
For a while I kept one as a disposable body for when the camera was being left unattended or the high risk situations such as being mounted on a motorcycle for doing bike to bike shots for road tests/reviews.

I never found it fragile although I doubt it could have taken the amount of abuse my OM1 suffered and survived over the years. It did eventually develop the sticky magnet issue but IIRC that was a cheap repair. Thinking back, I've no idea what happened to the camera, I know I didnít bring it to Canada with me.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 20th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It did eventually develop the sticky magnet issue but IIRC that was a cheap repair. Thinking back, I've no idea what happened to the camera, I know I didnít bring it to Canada with me.
What was the sticky magnet issue?
Old 20th September 2017

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

If you search for OM10 sticky shutter you should turn up lots of links, Keith. Not much point posting one in here as there are all sorts - entries in various forums, video clips on how to fix it .....

John
Old 20th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
If you search for OM10 sticky shutter you should turn up lots of links, Keith. Not much point posting one in here as there are all sorts - entries in various forums, video clips on how to fix it .....

John
Right, thx. My daughter doesn't have the camera now. It went the way of all things years ago, so I was just a little curious. I've enough to do, trying to repair my 1972 electronic organ, without taking on any camera repairs! (Even less designed for easy repair, I suspect.)

Edit: having had a quick shift, I don't think that was the problem. I can't remember exactly what had happened to it, it was completely dead in the water, except the shutter fired at one speed and aperture only, as I remember.
Old 21st September 2017

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Recently was at an Olympus and RPS event. We were told the 10 mk3 was changed to make the modes more accessible to entry level users. Much as suggested by some the camera did not appeal to the target market. Those buying their first proper camera, usually the smart phone generation, which is why the scenes modes etc come up as icons. If it brings more people into the fold then good for Olympus long term.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 21st September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
Recently was at an Olympus and RPS event. We were told the 10 mk3 was changed to make the modes more accessible to entry level users. Much as suggested by some the camera did not appeal to the target market. Those buying their first proper camera, usually the smart phone generation, which is why the scenes modes etc come up as icons. If it brings more people into the fold then good for Olympus long term.
The 64,000$ question is, will it? Very expensive as a first step away from a smartphone.