Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 3

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 3 The third-generation entry-level OM-D

Old 3rd February 2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: M10 Mark III review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
The 64,000$ question is, will it? Very expensive as a first step away from a smartphone.

Itís still cheaper than an iPhone X...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (4th February 2018)
Old 4th February 2018

Liked 185 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockelye View Post
It’s still cheaper than an iPhone X...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But it only does one thing (photography) so you still need a phone.

- - -

Interesting discussion on Mark III. Sadly people usually do buy based on rather superficial marketing material and perhaps reviews which are also based on limited experience of a product. It's difficult when making a buying decision to access the experience of long term use - especially of a product is so new that no-one has used it for long.

When I was making a decision to try and get back into "proper" photography just over a year ago, I had absolutely no idea how complex the Oly's menu system would prove. Once I'd decided on mirrorless (rather than bridge camera - RX10 III was enticing but costly) I guess the factors which drove me to Oly included reputation - especially for lenses, maybe a bit of sentimental loyalty (I'd used an OM2n years ago), traditional appearance, and of course some reviews and personal advice. But crucially I was tempted by E-M10 II, and the only thing which persuaded me to get E-M5 II instead was weatherproofing. (And I later upgraded to used E-M1 due when I realised better compatibility with FT glass).

That was a long winded way of supporting the suggestion that Oly may be irked that the E-M10 II was too good.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (4th February 2018)
Old 5th February 2018

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts

I've just upgraded from an E-M10 to an E-M10 Mkii. If the Mkiii had anything significant in it's favour I could have spent the extra cash but there was really nothing there I wanted
Old 5th February 2018

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
I've just upgraded from an E-M10 to an E-M10 Mkii. If the Mkiii had anything significant in it's favour I could have spent the extra cash but there was really nothing there I wanted
I don't consider going to a later model of the same level an upgrade & am not surprised you're disappointed. If you wanted to 'upgrade' then going to the E-M5 Mk II would have been an upgrade.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 6th February 2018

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I don't consider going to a later model of the same level an upgrade & am not surprised you're disappointed. If you wanted to 'upgrade' then going to the E-M5 Mk II would have been an upgrade.
I didn't want a bigger body - the silent shutter, higher resolution EVF and extra stabilisation more than made sense to go from Mki to Mkii.
4K video on Mkiii wasn't even a consideration.
Old 6th February 2018

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
I didn't want a bigger body - the silent shutter, higher resolution EVF and extra stabilisation more than made sense to go from Mki to Mkii.
4K video on Mkiii wasn't even a consideration.
Then you just wanted to update to a later model then. The Mk III is really a model for entry level users as it has been redesigned to cater more for them than experienced users getting a cheaper body with advanced features to compliment their more expensive model. I believe Olympus wanted to achieve two things with that model, have a User Interface that is easier for entry level users & taking out some advanced features & settings & in doing so hoping that second body users would buy a higher (more expensive) model instead of the cheapest of the range.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).