Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th October 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Should I stay or should I go?

I'm following this with interest.

It is such a conundrum, I wish I had bought a canikon in the first place then I would be certain that my choice was better than everyone else's !

The D600, on paper does what I want, until I factor in the lenses, this is why we are all wringing our hands and not jumping ship in a flash. The current Oly bodies for 4/3 are behind the curve now and have been for a while, with nothing concrete on the horizon we get the jitters.

To get the reach of 12-60 + 50-200 on a canikon full frame with quality lenses is horrifically expensive and they are all huge.

I picked up those two Oly lenses for good prices from ebay, both minters and collection only auctions. One good short Nikon zoom would cost as much as I paid for both.

The answer seems to be keep those lenses with one body and pray for am E5 replacement, thin out the Oly kit and somehow get a D600 and a couple of decent full frame primes second hand - for now.

If Oly don't come up with the goods then complete the switch later with a crop sensor body to complement the full frame and zooms.

Just got to work out how to fund this
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I am more than happy with the E-M5 sensor and the IQ it gives me, although I am not so comfortable with the ergonomics. However for most of my general photography it is unbeatable but as most know here I found where m43 lacking was in AF and tracking of birds in flight. So I bought a Canon 7D which does this job very well but in IQ terms is really not quite up to the E-M5. So I have only partly moved away, still enjoying my E-M5 but if Olympus come up with the goods for my bird photography then who knows - I may move back!

David

PS: I would hate to have to cart around a 600mm Nikon lens to give me the same magnification as a 300mm on m43!
Wee man (16th October 2012)
Old 16th October 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
I'm following this with interest.

It is such a conundrum, I wish I had bought a canikon in the first place then I would be certain that my choice was better than everyone else's !
Don't you believe it! If you'd bought Nikon you'd be wishing it was Canon and vice versa. The number of people who keep switching between these two marques without ever being truly happy is quite extraordinary.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I was firmly tongue in cheek John, there are some things that the E5 with the 2x crop factor suits me far better than any of the other options. I would just like one "system".
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
I was firmly tongue in cheek John, there are some things that the E5 with the 2x crop factor suits me far better than any of the other options. I would just like one "system".
It's called dream chasing, the perfect camera system will never happen.
There are always advantages and disadvatages to any format/system.
The art is to chose the one that has the least compromises for you, or buy into multiple systems and then complain about the weight you are having to carry around and the amount you are having to spend.

Should you stay or go? Yes!
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howi View Post
It's called dream chasing, the perfect camera system will never happen.
There are always advantages and disadvatages to any format/system.
The art is to chose the one that has the least compromises for you, or buy into multiple systems and then complain about the weight you are having to carry around and the amount you are having to spend.

Should you stay or go? Yes!
These are my feelings as well, I have thought like you that I would change to Nikon but the expense and trouble of seeling my Oly gear and starting to collect the same for the full frame decided me to stay where I am. I do have an EP2 and its quite good apart from trying to frame anything with the flash mounted mounted. I have decided after a lot of sould searching to stick with what I have and evaluate the E7 when it comes?
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I am more than happy with the E-M5 sensor and the IQ it gives me, although I am not so comfortable with the ergonomics. However for most of my general photography it is unbeatable but as most know here I found where m43 lacking was in AF and tracking of birds in flight. So I bought a Canon 7D which does this job very well but in IQ terms is really not quite up to the E-M5. So I have only partly moved away, still enjoying my E-M5 but if Olympus come up with the goods for my bird photography then who knows - I may move back!

David

PS: I would hate to have to cart around a 600mm Nikon lens to give me the same magnification as a 300mm on m43!
A 300 on oly would be 600 but the 600 on Nikon would x 1.6 ..but I know what you mean.

I am in a state of not knowing what to do as well......I need some way of tracking wildlife ...the focus searching is doing me head in as well.

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 16th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
A 300 on oly would be 600 but the 600 on Nikon would x 1.6 ..but I know what you mean.

Keith
I was referring to a Nikon FF (D600) where a 600 would give the same mag as a 300 on 4/3.

David
Old 16th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
I am in a state of not knowing what to do as well......I need some way of tracking wildlife ...the focus searching is doing me head in as well.

Keith
Since changing over I now live in a different world - check this out:

'Nuff said?

David
Old 16th October 2012

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

Bugger both you and for showing me this. Lens and camera?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 16th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Bugger both you and for showing me this. Lens and camera?
Canon 7D and 400mm f5.6. Fairly cheap kit-relatively speaking. Non IS but I don't use IS with BIF.

David
Wee man (16th October 2012)
Old 28th October 2012

Liked 307 Times in 82 Posts

If I had been considering a move to FF (I'm not) then the Nikon D600 would probably have been top of my wish list. But it appears that unhappiness is creeping into the ranks of the new D600 owners club - there seems to be a significant problem with sensor dust accumulation and occasionally oil spots, and the need to clean the sensor very frequently - even more so than usual for a Canikon (see http://tiny.cc/86xvmw or just google 'D600 sensor dust isues').

I change lenses a lot, but only once have I had to remove dust from the E-5 sensor, and that was readily accomplished with a blower. Even with a wide angle lens stopped down I never seem to have been bothered with dust specks. Thank goodnesss for Oly's SSWF.
(In the EM-5 the sensor is more exposed than on a DSLR when changing lenses. Is dust more of an issue than with the E-5 / Exxx?)
Old 28th October 2012

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

In the days of film bird photographers carried 600mm and often a 300 or 400mm as well. Some carried a 800mm rather than a 600mm.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 28th October 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post

But it appears that unhappiness is creeping into the ranks of the new D600 owners club - there seems to be a significant problem with sensor dust accumulation and occasionally oil spots, and the need to clean the sensor very frequently.
Really? I am surprised!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th October 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison;193531[COLOR="Blue"
]Since changing over I now live in a different world - check this out:[/COLOR]

'Nuff said?

David
Canon 7D and 400mm f5.6. Fairly cheap kit-relatively speaking. Non IS but I don't use IS with BIF.

Did not follow on looking at this thread until today....guess what kit I got....yes the same.I kept getting the same info from people about the camera and in particular the lens.......now got to work out how to get it set up for my method of shooting.
Keith

EDIT.To all who are defending Oly so well ...great ...I did not want to change brands...but at 60 and by the time they sort out something to nab a Swift with I could not wait.....great pic by the way David.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........