Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 11th May 2017

Liked 2,318 Times in 747 Posts
Re: AF not as accurate

I think this article is quite interesting and relevant:

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best...d-photography/

It assesses the suitability of the current range of mirrorless cameras and lenses for wildlife and bird photography and compares them to the best DSLRs. In brief, it concludes that the Nikon D500 gives the most reliable results but that mirrorless cameras, such as the E-M1 Mk2 are not too far behind.

I priced up the Nikon D500D and 200-500mm f/5.6 yesterday and it was actually cheaper than the E-M1 Mk2 with the Pan/Leica 100-400. However, I also compared the weights and, unfortunately, there is no way I could carry the Nikon combo. If the weight is not an issue then buying the Nikon is a 'no brainer' decision, if you shoot BIF. If the weight is a problem then the latest mirrorless cameras seem to be a good compromise.

Ron
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (11th May 2017)
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Well you certainly gave it a fair go Goshawk, hope the Nikon system works out for you. Hope you got good prices for your gear.
Hi Phil, regrettably I didn't be as good a price as I had wished for, that said I now have a system that delivers the goods.
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 1,208 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
Hi Phil, regrettably I didn't be as good a price as I had wished for, that said I now have a system that delivers the goods.
Sorry to hear that you've sold your Olympus kit and moved over to Nikon Goshawk however, it's right to choose the equipment that does the job for you.

I recently bought my wife an E-M1 II and a 300mm Pro, she already had the Panasonic 100-400 but preferred the images my 300mm was producing.

We took a trip to Bempton Cliffs in order to give her a good opportunity to practice with the new kit and get the hang of using it, bearing in mind that she has little or no prior experience of photographing BiF, here are some of her images.

Kittiwake by Anita Goodwin, on Flickr

Gannet by Anita Goodwin, on Flickr

Razorbill by Anita Goodwin, on Flickr

Puffin by Anita Goodwin, on Flickr

Puffin by Anita Goodwin, on Flickr

I appreciate that these were taken in good light conditions however, I think they demonstrate that the Olympus kit can capture images of BiF.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Bengeo (11th May 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (11th May 2017), Graham from Wirral (11th May 2017), Hemlockwood (1st June 2017), MJ224 (11th May 2017), Olybirder (11th May 2017), OM USer (11th May 2017), Ross the fiddler (12th August 2017), wornish (1st June 2017)
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts

I have the D500 and Nikkor 80-400 as well as the EM1ii and 40-150pro, 1.4tc.
I get some great results with the Oly kit for most subjects but I bought the Panasonic 100-400 to bring to Spain for birding rather than the heavier Nikon kit. After two weeks shooting, even in excellent light I can confidently say that for birds in flight the Nikon combination wins hands down. The focus on the Nikon works every time whereas it is really hit and miss with the Oly. I havent tried the Oly 300mm lens but I see no point in throwing more money away. The Panasonic lens will be up for sale when I get back to the UK.
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 1,208 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeG View Post
I have the D500 and Nikkor 80-400 as well as the EM1ii and 40-150pro, 1.4tc.
I get some great results with the Oly kit for most subjects but I bought the Panasonic 100-400 to bring to Spain for birding rather than the heavier Nikon kit. After two weeks shooting, even in excellent light I can confidently say that for birds in flight the Nikon combination wins hands down. The focus on the Nikon works every time whereas it is really hit and miss with the Oly. I havent tried the Oly 300mm lens but I see no point in throwing more money away. The Panasonic lens will be up for sale when I get back to the UK.
I haven't used the Nikon kit as I'm happy with the results I achieve with my Olympus kit.

Having bought two 300mm Pro lenses, I wouldn't class myself as having thrown money away, I'm very content.

We also have the Panasonic 100-400mm lens which, at 400mm is relatively slow as f6.3 however, the Oly 300mm at 300mm is f4.0 and even with the MC-14 is f5.6 at 420mm.

Why don't you try borrowing a 300mm Pro through the Olympus Test and Wow programme? You may be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not suggesting that the Olympus E-M1 II and the 300mm Pro are necessarily better or as good as the Nikon D500 for BiF, I haven't tested the Nikon kit and, as BiF are a small part of my photography, I don't think I need a second system.

Dave
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (1st June 2017)
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts

I was speaking for myself. The 300mm Oly is an excellent lens and produces wonderful images. I feel though, that I personally would be throwing my money away because even with that lens the EM1ii cant compete with the D500 in autofocus (especially tracking).
Having both systems I am not interested in supporting one over the other....the Oly has some excellent features and I love the silent shutter compared to the clatter of the Nikon. I will use the Nikon for bird photography and the Oly for everything else.
Old 14th May 2017

Liked 143 Times in 24 Posts

One from tonight ,I went back to 5 af points although Owls move slow they do go up and down a lot.
Rob
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (15th May 2017), DavyG (16th May 2017), Hemlockwood (1st June 2017), Olybirder (14th May 2017), Wildwood (15th May 2017), wornish (15th May 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Hi Guys,
Haven't been around here in a while. With so many forums I sort of lose track, and I had forgotten just how good this one is
Anyway, I have given a lot of thought to how to set up my Mark II for birds, and rather than write it all again, here is a link:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343596
Still working on it, but it is getting where I want it, slowly.
There has been some discussion about the single AF box being too big. (* I refer to using FT lenses or adapted lenses like my standard Canon 400/5.6/Metabones setup which only use the camera's PDAF system). I found it a bit harder to really be selective with the single point compared to the Mark I, so getting small birds in the branches was more difficult with the Mark II, until...
It might be my imagination (I don't honestly think so) but it seems to me that the firmware update to 1.2 has not only made the EVF somewhat nicer, (*) it has made the single AF point more selective and precise, as well as made the general AF quicker and smoother. Has anyone else observed this?

Dan

Be gone for a few days and hope to give it more of a workout and will report back.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 464 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
It might be my imagination (I don't honestly think so) but it seems to me that the firmware update to 1.2 has not only made the EVF somewhat nicer, it has made the single AF point more selective and precise, as well as made the general AF quicker and smoother. .....
Have been holding out on this update..You have made me decide to get it. Thanks

All my garbage so far.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 2,318 Times in 747 Posts

Yestrday I was attempting to photograph a Stonechat (a Sparrow sized bird) which was perched on a post with bushes and trees in the background some way behind it. I was using the single point AF but each time I placed the green rectangle over the bird and half pressed the shutter the camera focused on the background and the subject was completely blurred. If I pointed the camera down and focused on the base of the post it snapped into focus. However if I then placed the rectangle over the bird and pressed the button again it would either focus on the bird or the background, apparently at random. I was surprised and rather disappointed by this as I thought the cross-type AF points should have cured this problem.

Ron
Old 2nd June 2017

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,114 Posts
Liked 1,582 Times in 797 Posts

Ron there were a few comments made at Duxford last Friday that suggested Olympus were listening to the small af area comments and working on firmware updates. Don't know when but it was hinted. Hope it's not just wishful thinking and I've not misinterpreted what was said. I'd like to think they would also restore my much lamented sunset mode too but I forgot to ask about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 996 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Ron there were a few comments made at Duxford last Friday that suggested Olympus were listening to the small af area comments and working on firmware updates. Don't know when but it was hinted. Hope it's not just wishful thinking and I've not misinterpreted what was said.
No, you're right. Clearly they weren't allowed to say it directly without having to kill us, but if there isn't a smaller option by the autumn I'll eat my 300.

Claire also said only about half of the firmware memory is used currently, so a series of additional capabilities are on the way via future updates. That is going to complicate the menus further, of course, and my brain will probably explode.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 143 Times in 24 Posts

The green rectangle focus point is 3 times bigger than shown so does tend to grab something away from the centre of it .

Rob.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Just a suggestion for difficult scenes as described, do you have already separated the focus function to another button different from the shutter release? I improved a lot since I got used to it with my new em1.2.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

After a horrible first day, I found that setting lens reset parameter to OFF gave me a much better hit rate.

The issue is that the camera performs a lens reset every time it goes to idle state, not every time you switched off. In real life, that means a lot of focus hunting every time between shots.

All other recommendations already made in previous posts are also mandatory for BIF, in particular use L mode (max 10 frames per second) and silent mode. i have not found any trace of rolling shutter, even in difficult cases (eg. Wind mill blades rotating at quite high speed).