Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 20th March 2017

Liked 696 Times in 381 Posts
Re: I'm weak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

I dragged a friend along and was bragging about the IS on the E-M1ii with the 12-100 and said that I had taken shots at 8s handheld at 12mm. He didn't believe me. So I went along to the Oly stand and grabbed just that combo, set the ISO to low and aperture to f22 and it indicated a 6s exposure. So, I held it firmly and went ahead - pin sharp on the first attempt. Voodoo!

Also had a long chat with Tesni Ward (a lovely lady and clearly a talented wildlife photographer). She recommends the following setup for the best CAF:

- Single point (mostly)
- Not tracking mode
- AF scanner mode 2
- C-AF Lock max "Tight"
Great! I've managed pin sharp images reasonably reliably at 10 - 12mm at 2s with the M5ii, but 6 is ridiculous!

She said tracking worked well when there was good contrast between subject and background (e.g. BIF against the sky), but it wandered for other subjects. Talking to my local Canikon owning semi-professional BIF merchants I think you need a 1DXii or a D5 to do that reliably, anyway: even the new D500 struggles to hold a lock-on for long.

She's planning to run some workshops both in the UK and abroad and I think that would work well - she's clearly an excellent teacher, and having Oly-specific training would be great.

BTW I really like the ergonomics of the grip: I think I shall actually use this sometimes with the 300.

It was Steve Gosling who convinced me to get the 12-100 (the b*****d!).

I thought his images had really stepped-up from a year ago, and as a landscape lens when hiking without a tripod it'll be a winner. It reminds me of the old 12-60 Zuiko.

Previously I couldn't see the point of an f4 'travel' lens that weighed that much (i.e. for use in cities), but for landscape shooting without the encumbrance of other accessories and with excellent weather sealing it makes a huge amount of sense.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 20th March 2017

Liked 2,790 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Good to hear you caved in to Paul

How are you finding the 12-100 with the MkII, I bet it balances nicely.
I'm wondering whether to go for one.
It's a very nice combo Hew. It's a bigger u43 setup than I've been running so far, but the balance of the two is fine and the Sync IS stabilisation is quite remarkable. The lens is also superb optically. It'll never make a good indoor lens, but for landscape, cityscape and general walkabout it's pretty good. No complaints really.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Greytop (20th March 2017)
Old 20th March 2017

Liked 2,790 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
It was Steve Gosling who convinced me to get the 12-100 (the b*****d!).

I thought his images had really stepped-up from a year ago, and as a landscape lens when hiking without a tripod it'll be a winner. It reminds me of the old 12-60 Zuiko.

Previously I couldn't see the point of an f4 'travel' lens that weighed that much (i.e. for use in cities), but for landscape shooting without the encumbrance of other accessories and with excellent weather sealing it makes a huge amount of sense.
That's exactly my logic. I used to take the Panasonic 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100 trio plus a small prime as my go-to landscape kit. I rarely shot anything under f5.6. Replacing the 12-35 and 35-100 by the 12-100 means there's now room for the Samyang 7.5 FE too. It often got left at home which is a shame because it can give a really alternative view.
Old 20th March 2017

Yes, like many people I'm reluctant to change lenses in the hills, which means that the 35-100 often stayed unused in the backpack. When it was wet and windy there was even less incentive!

The mkii and 12-100 on a sling strap is fine, although I wouldn't like to hold it in the hand all day. So, I shall certainly keep the 12-35 because it's such a good, small 'street' lens in crowded, narrow, medieval cities. In that sort of environment I use a wrist strap with the camera ready all the time.

I'm leaving the decision on getting rid of the 35-100 for a little while. The mkII versions are out and will have reduced their value a bit.

Old 20th March 2017

Quote:
... I rarely shot anything under f5.6. ...
As I've said before, I've been going to the Landscape Photographer of the Year for maybe the past 5 years and I always note the aperture at which the 100 or so images were taken.

Barely any have ever been taken wider than f5.6, which means that there's a huge amount of f2.8 full-frame DSLR glass being humped up and down hills needlessly! Not by us, I'm glad to say.

The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (20th March 2017)
Old 20th March 2017

Liked 1,116 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Paul, your weakness can give a guy some real GAS!

I'm weak, I've found a 20 year old Tenba bag that's seriously tempting me. It's three or four hours drive away and will probably cost as much in petrol as the guy wants for the bag but it's so tempting.
Ross the fiddler (21st March 2017)
Old 20th March 2017

Liked 241 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Just got back from the show. Great meeting a bunch of you there!
It was good to meet you and everyone else.

Quote:
Also had a long chat with Tesni Ward (a lovely lady and clearly a talented wildlife photographer). She recommends the following setup for the best CAF:

- Single point (mostly)
- Not tracking mode
- AF scanner mode 2
- C-AF Lock max "Tight"
Her presentation was very good and I did forget to ask her about the C-AF Lock setting. That is interesting as many are using it on the looser settings, but it does depend on what you are taking, so I guess with mountain hares close up then tight could be best.