Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 19th March 2017

Liked 590 Times in 292 Posts
Re: Small mammals, tree frogs and insect workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
It certainly is. Remove it. It isn't rocket science.

Harold
Harold. I can remove noise but as you well know it has an impact on other parameters (detail, micro contrast and colour) potentially so I prefer to get the image as good as possible at the point of taking. So on a lot of the shots I was happier to be at a lower F stop and ISO. Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 19th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I would be very interested in understanding the difference in performance of the EOS 70D and the EM-5, as I'm seriously considering the EM-1ii or jumping ship to DSLR, so would love some realistic non-biased opinion.
The differences here are somewhat masked by the nature of the set-up. It is all studio flash so both the Canon and Olympus were set to sync at 1/200th Those with Nikon were forced to sync at 1/180th otherwise they would get a black bar along the bottom of the frame. Not a big difference but it was mentioned.

The same flash triggers worked for everyone. I was impressed at how good they were.

The subjects were moving but reasonable movement is stopped by the flash. So on the Canon I was shooting with Continuous Servo focus - which is my default on the 70D anyway. On the EM5 mk2 I would only ever use SAF with MF as, to be blunt, the continuous focus isn't any use.

Lenses all performed OK. The subjects were slow moving enough not to have many issues of focus or movement. Performance with the 40-150 lens using SAF was good the 60mm macro is poor in inside light on autofocus (plus I couldn't use the 1:1). On the Canon I have two superb lenses which are 100-400 and 100macro both fast enough to perform on servo focus. Both are accurate and are on a par with the 40-150 in terms of colour and sharpness.

He ensured that the DSLRs shot on a particular white balance as he had far more experience with Canon, Nikon and Sony. I left the EM5 on auto as it was pretty good (bluer and to my eye better) but it is a minor change in Lightroom on most shots. Some people there were wanting minimal time in PP so he was meeting their needs. He was good on keeping us looking at Histograms and ensured we reset for saturated colour and exact exposures when backgrounds or lighting was changed.

I took both along because they have both have plusses and minuses. I try to use them for what they are good at. (moving mice - use the Canon: static insects use the Olympus -failed on the millipede!). I have reached that set of thoughts and feel comfortable with my reasons. I have a workshop coming up which is shooting bats with flash (indoors and dark) I will not bother with the Olympus as the Canon will work out of the box and he is lending me a Canon flash for the day.

Rather than thinking about jumping ship I would suggest you try a DSLR as a second system. I'm not sure than any system is good for everything.

I had three copies of the EM1 when it first came out and was not impressed (specifically shutter shock, performance of CAF, focussing and video which was awful compared to the EM5). I am sure those posts are still here if you look for them. I found out then that Olympus was unhappy to hear anything bad about the camera despite any evidence. So I may try an EM1mk2 but not until the publicity gloss has worn off.

Old 19th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
What was it looking at?

Haroldf
I think I got too close. It had been stuffing itself with grains, it ate four, and he was about to put it away and I dived in for a last shot. I have some lovely shots of it eating.

These are probably all of use for a painting that I have planned. I photographed a Harvest Mouse nest in the wild on Thursday (last years and empty) so that and some of the shots of their more interesting movement will make good background to the painting.

The photos are OK but I feel the need for greater reality in the details and behaviour.