Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Invention for street architecture photography

I keep getting frustrated trying to find a suitable viewpoint to capture images of interesting buildings, especially in town centres. There's so often clutter in the way at ground level - waste bins, A-boards, post boxes, and so on. And often the ground floor of a building is rather spoilt by gaudy shop fronts, and you don't want that at the centre of your composition if at all. And if you point the camera up at the interesting parts you get perspective distortion as well.

I often wish I had a ladder or a cherry picker to get above the clutter and see the higher floors of buildings straight on, not upwards, and with street level artefacts out of the view or less prominent in it. I know that keystone compensation in post processing can tidy up a bit of perspective distortion, and shift lenses can also help, and occasionally photographing from further away with a telephoto can help, but none of these can create the same effect as framing the composition from higher up. So I have a bright idea.

I'm not an inventor so I have no idea whether or how it's possible, but here's what I'd like. Some kind of hugely upward extending kind of tripod, with motor driven adjustments to move the camera up and down, forward and backward, left and right, and also to rotate in three directions: twisting around vertical centre line of the sensor, tilting along the horizontal centre line of the sensor, and controlled spinning along a horizontal line at right angles to the sensor and going through its centre point. Then I want an app on my phone to control all of these movements from below, and an enhanced Olympus app to control zoom, focus (manual and auto), exposure parameters and all other camera menu features, and of course to do shutter release.

It would be nice wouldn't it? :-)
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 191 Times in 90 Posts
Re: Invention for street architecture photography

You could use a quad copter (drone) to carry your Oly.
RobEW (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 253 Times in 185 Posts

You are too late - telescopic supports for cameras have been available for years and used by surveyors and estate agents, now replaced by drones.

See some of the ways in use in this advert

http://highlevelphotography.co.uk/
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
You are too late - telescopic supports for cameras have been available for years and used by surveyors and estate agents, now replaced by drones.

See some of the ways in use in this advert

http://highlevelphotography.co.uk/
Then I guess my idea is a bit like their second option: "mast/pole". It's not clear what sort of features that would have ...
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 539 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I often wish I had a ladder or a cherry picker to get above the clutter and see the higher floors of buildings straight on, not upwards, and with street level artefacts out of the view or less prominent in it.
I'm not an inventor so I have no idea whether or how it's possible, but here's what I'd like. Some kind of hugely upward extending kind of tripod, with motor driven adjustments to move the camera up and down, forward and backward, left and right, and also to rotate in three directions: twisting around vertical centre line of the sensor, tilting along the horizontal centre line of the sensor, and controlled spinning along a horizontal line at right angles to the sensor and going through its centre point. Then I want an app on my phone to control all of these movements from below, and an enhanced Olympus app to control zoom, focus (manual and auto), exposure parameters and all other camera menu features, and of course to do shutter release.

Not sure this would work like a shift lens. A shift lens moves only a few mm but make a massive difference.
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 2,278 Times in 871 Posts

I got a carp pole that I cut and put an arca clamp on the top. Nice and light and closes down to a reasonable height. With the oly app it's a good combination. I also adapted an old tripod to hold it and allow rotation for panoramas.
Old 4 Days Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,685 Times in 2,073 Posts
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
I got a carp pole that I cut and put an arca clamp on the top. Nice and light and closes down to a reasonable height. With the oly app it's a good combination. I also adapted an old tripod to hold it and allow rotation for panoramas.
Carp pole? Sounds a bit fishy to me, Andrew!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 241 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I keep getting frustrated trying to find a suitable viewpoint to capture images of interesting buildings, especially in town centres. There's so often clutter in the way at ground level - waste bins, A-boards, post boxes, and so on. And often the ground floor of a building is rather spoilt by gaudy shop fronts, and you don't want that at the centre of your composition if at all. And if you point the camera up at the interesting parts you get perspective distortion as well.

I often wish I had a ladder or a cherry picker to get above the clutter and see the higher floors of buildings straight on, not upwards, and with street level artefacts out of the view or less prominent in it. I know that keystone compensation in post processing can tidy up a bit of perspective distortion, and shift lenses can also help, and occasionally photographing from further away with a telephoto can help, but none of these can create the same effect as framing the composition from higher up. So I have a bright idea.

You could try making the most of the opportunities that stuff at street level can give to your images rather than trying to avoid them completely. That's what I do when they present themselves.

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (3 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Boom, boom!!
Old 4 Days Ago

Liked 812 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Boom, boom!!
Boom, boom. That must be 'pun of the week'!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Boom, boom. That must be 'pun of the week'!
Thank-you!
Old 3 Days Ago

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Not sure this would work like a shift lens. A shift lens moves only a few mm but make a massive difference.
I confess I don't know a lot about shift lenses, but I do know a little about light not travelling round bends. If you change your position, either sideways or up and down, different things can come into view. A shift lens can reduce or eliminate perspective distortions (I suspect that's what it does) but it can't lead to images of things from which light doesn't reach it.
An example - if a building has outdoor windowsills which are patterned on top, then only a high viewpoint will show those patterns on - say - second floor windowsills.
Old 3 Days Ago

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Best used in conjunction with a little tuna I expect ...
Old 3 Days Ago

Liked 62 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Well the shift is usually used to show an undistorted image with framing similar to that from higher up. Moving the camera up does achieve much the same result.
Old 3 Days Ago

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
Well the shift is usually used to show an undistorted image with framing similar to that from higher up. Moving the camera up does achieve much the same result.
Sorry to disagree but moving the camera up achieves a different result. E.g. my comment about windowsills. I think if the scene were all on a perfectly flat vertical surface then a shift lens may give largely the same result as a higher viewpoint.