Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th January 2017

Liked 996 Times in 569 Posts
Delivery Notifications

I am expecting a small number of packages, some from Ebay, some from elsewhere.

Unless Royal Mail is specified, sellers ten to be vague about the carrier.

The morning post having arrived, with no packages, I went out into the back garden to take some photographs which could not be left until tomorrow. My wife was due to go out within the hour.

The session was shorter than expected and I got back in the house as my wife was about to drive away.

I checked my email and a message, which was not there half an hour earlier, informed me that my package was out with the local Hermes van for delivery today. (As usual, there was no indication, in the message, of what the package contents were or of the sender).

Why do they not send out an alert on the day before intended delivery, giving us a better chance of being at home? Surely, this would help both parties!

Harold
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 877 Times in 598 Posts
Re: Delivery Notifications

I suspect some eBay users are deliberately vague about dispatch dates as it helps them to deflect any complaints about late delivery.

If eBay sellers buy their postage from eBay then any tracking information is automatically provided to the buyer, but otherwise it is up to individual sellers to pass this information on manually.

In many cases I suspect inexperienced sellers have no clue of how they will ship items until it actually happens; hence some of the ridiculous shipping charges advertised!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th January 2017

This particular email helpfully provided a link for me to track my item. So I clicked on it, finding all the stages of its journey up to today, when it would be delivered sometime today. (It arrived just over two hours after the time of the original notification)

Harold.
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 159 Times in 113 Posts

Delivery companies are improving I think. I received an order this morning via DPD who had e-mailed me earlier giving me a one-hour delivery slot, and it duly arrived within those times. I had been e-mailed by the supplier yesterday telling me when the order was despatched and the tracking number. I find ParcelForce, UKMail and UPS generally reliable too. For some reason though when Amazon use Royal Mail they often provide a tracking number which the Royal Mail web site doesn't recognise! Royal Mail are however pretty reliable in this area and the package usually arrives on the day I expect it to.
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 332 Times in 126 Posts

The one that's a pain is Amazon Logistics, where Amazon deliver 'themselves' (although who knows who it really is ... some random bloke with a van, usually). My repeated experience is that they send an email citing a specific day for delivery, and then deliver on some other day entirely! What's the point of telling you it'll be delivered Friday, when it turns up on Wednesday instead? Just means I now have to stay in for a three-day window, instead of the one day.

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 877 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The one that's a pain is Amazon Logistics, where Amazon deliver 'themselves' (although who knows who it really is ... some random bloke with a van, usually). My repeated experience is that they send an email citing a specific day for delivery, and then deliver on some other day entirely! What's the point of telling you it'll be delivered Friday, when it turns up on Wednesday instead? Just means I now have to stay in for a three-day window, instead of the one day.
From what we hear in the News Amazon delivery drivers have to use makeshift Kharzies in the back of their vans, so I don't think I will be using their Grocery delivery service any time soon.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th March 2017

Last week I had the latest whizzy Hub* from Virgin Media on its way to me on the day agreed for delivery. I kept looking for e-mail notification but none came.

Contrary to my normal practice, I checked my phone's text messages. There it was "Your parcel....is on its way and is out for delivery today. Track your parcel now at www.yodel.co.uk/tracking/JD0002251061708750".

So I went to the website, clicked on tracking and typed in the number. I was delighted to be informed that my parcel was out with the driver, for "delivery today". Isn't is good to be given such accuracy of the timing?

* More about the hub to be posted elsewhere.

Harold
Old 20th March 2017

Liked 65 Times in 37 Posts

Some couriers DPD for example use their own vans and track their deliveries.
DPD usually send me a link which allows me to track their van all day on delivery X out of Y. I then get a text giving me a 1 hour window based on the actual experience of the driver on the day.

Other couriers - Yodel for example - use subcontracted or self employed drivers who are using their own vehicle and can choose their own route. I know the woman who does all our local My Hermes deliveries so she knows when to deliver to me and where to leave things if I'm out.

I suspect most eBay small sellers use things like ParcelMonkey and will book whichever courier is cheapest that day hence the lack of notification.
I've never successfully got eBay to accept my tracking notification when selling, I suspect because I wasn't buying the courier service through their pages.

It's a lottery really!