Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 21st January 2018

Liked 1,402 Times in 824 Posts
Lakenheath set 1

First set of five:

Eagles Rock! The doormat of the base air traffic control building:

[IMG][/IMG]

Incoming radar room 1:

[IMG][/IMG]

Incoming radar 2:

[IMG][/IMG]

The control tower: (sorry about quality, two or three shots all came out like this!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Reaper Country: the doormat in the foyer of the 493rd Fighter Squadron building:

[IMG][/IMG]

Rather more shots to come, but some have to be processed. Hope these will whet your appetite.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
pault (22nd January 2018), PeterBirder (21st January 2018)
Old 21st January 2018

Thanked 1,030 Times in 637 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 571 Posts
Re: Lakenheath set 1

The radar room takes me back a few years. I was NCOi/c of one of the 'I A F' crews - the four minute warning - Interceptor Alert Force - to scamble and intercept the bad guy's. Was based in your neck of the woods at Neatishead in the late 70's before moving to Boulmer near Alnwick in Northumberland. Wish I could say it was exciting but I'd be lying. Seems the guy's in your piccy are in the same boat?

Sitting in the back seat whilst doing something like this, is sooooooo, much more fun.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (21st January 2018)
Old 21st January 2018

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,247 Posts
Liked 1,040 Times in 719 Posts

Nice set. I like #2.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Old 21st January 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The radar room takes me back a few years. I was NCOi/c of one of the 'I A F' crews - the four minute warning - Interceptor Alert Force - to scamble and intercept the bad guy's. Was based in your neck of the woods at Neatishead in the late 70's before moving to Boulmer near Alnwick in Northumberland. Wish I could say it was exciting but I'd be lying. Seems the guy's in your piccy are in the same boat?

Sitting in the back seat whilst doing something like this, is sooooooo, much more fun.
We were told that they do one and a half hours on, then have a break, while one of those on break takes over. Must be hard to keep concentration for that long, even! Neatishead is now the Royal Air Force Radar Museum. complete with its Cold War control room, left exactly as it was on the day it was taken out of service. Very interesting museum.

The Cold War Ops Room:
[IMG][/IMG]

Bet that looks familiar!
Old 21st January 2018

Thanked 1,035 Times in 860 Posts
Liked 804 Times in 469 Posts

Some great shots there.
How many security hoops did you have to jump through to get acces for your group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Neatishead is now the Royal Air Force Radar Museum. complete with its Cold War control room, left exactly as it was on the day it was taken out of service. Very interesting museum.

The Cold War Ops Room:
[IMG][/IMG]

Bet that looks familiar!
It is indeed a very interesting museum and well worth a visit. http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/index.htm

One of the tasks I had when I first joined Marconi's was testing some of the actual displays that are in that Ops Room. There is also, in one of the rooms which overlook it a console originally used at RAF Saxa Vord in Shetland for which I was later the project systems engineer.

For a number of years I was a member of the "Friends of the RAFADRM" but sadly living in Essex I was never able to join the volunteers who so ably man the museum. Cetainly brings back some memories for me.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 21st January 2018

Being as this is an open forum, I won't explain the whole procedure for security. We had to provide ID with a picture, we were security checked several weeks in advance, and again at the gate. We all had to leave the coach for it to be examined. Apart from a few details, that sums it up. Straightforward. But you can only visit as an organized group; we went with our U3A. If you would like to know more, please send me a PM.

I started out at GEC Telecomms; then left and went to Eddystone Radio, which was owned by Marconi. GEC came along and took it over! In more recent times I have visited Marconi's again; and also Hughes Aircraft in San Diego, where they proudly showed us... Marconi HUDs! I think the Radar Museum is very good, and reasonably priced too. It's a good way from where I live, or I would probably have volunteered, too; though I must say, I've had enough of working on electronics, really, after 48 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (21st January 2018)
Old 22nd January 2018

Thanked 1,030 Times in 637 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 571 Posts

Hi Kieth, this looks nothing like when I was there.

In fact, what this shows is something from the future whereas, what we had to use was perhaps more like something from the Bletchley Park era in the computer sense. If you watch films like the Battle of Britain where they display the bogey's progress by pushing little tin shapes across a table in the Ops Room... well, you get the idea. The only real difference was that they - the tin shapes - had to be moved much more quickly.

Looking at this, I reckon my siggy is nearer the truth than I would care to admit. maybe, I am from another planet.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 22nd January 2018

I'm guessing this was installed in the 80s, Wally. I am very familiar with the old WW2 style ones: the best example that I have seen is the one at RAF Digby,which is the actual one used in 1940. Some of the panels above are Perspex, written on with china pens, so they can be cleaned and reused.

Lakenheath though is utterly different; some obviously very sophisticated software running the screens. But, I was surprised to see handwritten like message strips between the screens in the control tower; maybe because handwritten messages are permanent. Each strip was in an aluminum extrusion, and there is a rectangular recess to take a stack of them, every so far. I'll put some more images up shortly.